Mas du Clos - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Mas du Clos

I've just read a remarkably interesting article in Cavallino edition 50 (April/May 1989) about the private Ferrari collection of Pierre Bardinon, in Mas du Clos, France.

It sounds like such a magnificent collection and I'm sure the pictures in the article don't do justice to the entire collection.

I looked it up on line but only found info on the racing circuit (also on the estate property).

Does anyone know about this collection? Is it totally private? Or are there any ways for mere mortals to visit? (Or is it even still in existence?)

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I've just read a remarkably interesting article in Cavallino edition 50 (April/May 1989) about the private Ferrari collection of Pierre Bardinon, in Mas du Clos, France.

It sounds like such a magnificent collection and I'm sure the pictures in the article don't do justice to the entire collection.

I looked it up on line but only found info on the racing circuit (also on the estate property).

Does anyone know about this collection? Is it totally private? Or are there any ways for mere mortals to visit? (Or is it even still in existence?)
Barry, Congratulations...you are starting to get into deep classic territory. Therfore you have bought an older collection of Cavallino's ??
Mas du clos is owned by Pierre Bardignon a heir of a french industrial imperium in early days. He started to buy the wonderful Ferraris in the 60's and 70's and some in the 80's. He had it all what was somehow important in racing history. Marcel Massini will be able to tell you about Pierre and his cars for a whole evening at the castle, I just hope he will be able to join fled 6.

The Mas du clos track used to be the private track build around Bardignons estate, when after great coming together parties of close friends the started to excercise their F-cars the next morning on that private track. However some years ago in France (as everywhere else) the state came to Bardignon to tell him that he has to invest substantial sums to get the track up to date safety wise and until that they will forbid him to use it (his private track! So much for european centralism). He abandoned the idea and hence the track is not used anymore. A pitty.

The collection can be seen by appointment only and I'm sure if you get to be a member of the french Ferrari club you're able to see it as they at least used to have a yearly gathering together at Bardignon's museum.
But again Marcel would be the commetent person to tell you all the latest on this.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
212
Thank you for the additional information. It sounds like the collection I am reading about (23 year old article!) is still intact. I am learning as I read but cars such as P4, 250 GTO, GTO64 ,multiple 24hr Le Mans winners, 312B, 312P, 290MM sound so magnificent that the opportunity to see such a collection in the metal would be wonderful. I wonder could we arrange a Ferrari Life visit?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
212
Thank you for the additional information. It sounds like the collection I am reading about (23 year old article!) is still intact. I am learning as I read but cars such as P4, 250 GTO, GTO64 ,multiple 24hr Le Mans winners, 312B, 312P, 290MM sound so magnificent that the opportunity to see such a collection in the metal would be wonderful. I wonder could we arrange a Ferrari Life visit?
If you want to really do that maybe approach Marcel uf that is possible. If I'm not wrong he handled more than one deal between his clientele and Pierre Bardignon.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
But easier Barry, half of such a collection can be seen public in Basel (I was there and have seen it) until April. We mentioned that on another thread.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
If you want to really do that maybe approach Marcel uf that is possible. If I'm not wrong he handled more than one deal between his clientele and Pierre Bardignon.
Would be nice if it were possible.

Just read that there is a front engined Dino 246 in the collection. Such a thing exists!?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Would be nice if it were possible.

Just read that there is a front engined Dino 246 in the collection. Such a thing exists!?
Have no clue about that but maybe the workers in maranello just put the front lights wrongly around ?

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Barry- Affirmative, there were front engined Dino 246 F1 cars that predated the Dino 246 GT and competed from 1958-1960. The V6 engines in these F1 cars were the first to introduce the 65 degree angle between banks also used on the Dino GTs and later F1 and GT V12s. The 65 degree bank angle allowed more room for induction from the 3x2 barrel webers. The engine layout was very similar to the eventual Dino GT cars, with DOHC and three two-barrel webers.

Here is a modern photo of one of the cars and a period photo of the engine.
Attached Images
   

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #9 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Would be nice if it were possible.

Just read that there is a front engined Dino 246 in the collection. Such a thing exists!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Barry- Affirmative, there were front engined Dino 246 F1 cars that predated the Dino 246 GT and competed from 1958-1960. The V6 engines in these F1 cars were the first to introduce the 65 degree angle between banks also used on the Dino GTs and later F1 and GT V12s. The 65 degree bank angle allowed more room for induction from the 3x2 barrel webers. The engine layout was very similar to the eventual Dino GT cars, with DOHC and three two-barrel webers.
Now that makes infinitely more sense. I had visions of a front engined 246 GT

Terry, once again you deliver the goods!

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Barry- I owned a front engined Dino, but it was a Fiat Dino 2400 GT. Nice car that felt like a little Daytona. This is her with her replacement 308 GTS in the background. I sold her to a full colonel, whose son over-revved her while cold and dropped a valve. He wanted his money back, but that did not work out too well for him.

Do not know why, but the 2.4 coupes were way more attractive than the 2 liter coupes. Guess I need to do a side by side to figure out why.
Attached Images
 

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
post #11 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Nice pic Terry. The Fiat Dino is lovely, but not a patch on the 308 you replaced it with.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 01-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Sorry guys, I thought you're talking about a street 246 GT Dino. Of course the Formula Dino is something else.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 01-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Owner
 
550JM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Reminds me of the collection of Laurence Stroll from Canada, also has his own racetrack. Was a very nice article about him in the Ferrari Magazine last year.

Cavallino's are a good read, aren't they, Barry? Check out ebay, you'll find them now and then...

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
550JM is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 AM
Owner
 
550JM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
"http://www.thegallerybrummen.nl/nl_NL/autobedrijf/collectie/2901109/details.html"


Here's a nice Fiat Dino, for sale in Holland.
(I have no connection's or interests with that company...)

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
550JM is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 01-22-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
But easier Barry, half of such a collection can be seen public in Basel (I was there and have seen it) until April. We mentioned that on another thread.

You are very right 212. If I can find a weekend that suits between now and April I shall try to get over to Basel and bring my son.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
Cavallino's are a good read, aren't they, Barry?
Most certainly are.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 03:58 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I've just read a remarkably interesting article in Cavallino edition 50 (April/May 1989) about the private Ferrari collection of Pierre Bardinon, in Mas du Clos, France.

It sounds like such a magnificent collection and I'm sure the pictures in the article don't do justice to the entire collection.

I looked it up on line but only found info on the racing circuit (also on the estate property).

Does anyone know about this collection? Is it totally private? Or are there any ways for mere mortals to visit? (Or is it even still in existence?)

I was lucky enough to get to see the collection at Mas Du Clos in 1995 it was stunning ,Unfortunately we were not allowed to take any pictures inside the hall ,we were only allowed to take pictures outside of the track etc. We were there for a day racing on the track (it is a fantastic track ) it was part of a 6 day tour of French Circuits both old and new for classic and modern cars. I intend to go back later this year as it happens ( health permitting ) The son runs things now so I am not sure if he is as accommodating as his father was.
I have seen many collections over the years but none were a patch on Mas Du Clos. It will be a great shame and loss if they close the circuit
Rogie is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
I owned a front engined Dino, I sold her to a full colonel, whose son over-revved her while cold and dropped a valve. He wanted his money back.
So Taz, now we know the real reason you got out of the service...

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie View Post
I was lucky enough to get to see the collection at Mas Du Clos in 1995 it was stunning ,Unfortunately we were not allowed to take any pictures inside the hall ,we were only allowed to take pictures outside of the track etc. We were there for a day racing on the track (it is a fantastic track ) it was part of a 6 day tour of French Circuits both old and new for classic and modern cars. I intend to go back later this year as it happens ( health permitting ) The son runs things now so I am not sure if he is as accommodating as his father was.
I have seen many collections over the years but none were a patch on Mas Du Clos. It will be a great shame and loss if they close the circuit
Rogie

Welcome to FLife - were you able to use the track ... be great to see any pictures
champagne612 is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Rogie- Welcome and it sounds like a really fun tour.

David- No threat. He was a feather merchant.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale