Bad weather driving - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 171
Bad weather driving

Just out of curiosity here, as I see the first couple of real snowfalls here at my house, I'm wondering what is the worst weather any of you have driven in your Ferrari?

Life's too short to be unhappy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
To me rain is really bad weather and I just try to stay indoors near a fire with an adult beverage.

I know those of you not living in California might have a different perspective having had to adapt to inhuman living conditions.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 739
In 1963 on my way from San Francisco to Staten Island I ran into a big snowstorm with blizzard like conditions at nighttime crossing the continental divide east of Gallup New Mexico on old Route 66. Of course with the Mondial there was no roof and no heater. I kept watching the oil and water temps fall. The skinny tires were of the hard racing rubber we used in those days so the traction in the snow was barely marginal with the result that the slightest inclines became significant challenges. I was wearing an athletic hoodie and goggles. Cold and tired of the concentration needed to keep the car on the road, I spotted a small gas station out in the middle of nowhere and pulled in. With a 40 gallon gas tank I did not need gas so I parked next to the station instead of at the pumps. As I opened the door I noticed the attendant step back with a worried look. Turning to look at myself in the mirror of a cigarette machine I saw this strange figure which was human up to the shoulders but with a white lump in place of a head with two smudged spots where I had been wiping the goggles. From his perspective there was no car at the pumps and this was like the creature from planet X. Many hours later I arrived in Albuquerque where a warm shower and a warm bed helped thaw this frozen guy.

Just another memory from a trip long ago.

Best regards,
Attached Images

Robert

Past: 500 Mondial S2 0556(0446)/MD owned 58 years from June 1960 to August 2018

post #4 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
So called moderate rainfall back home on tollway in my Daytona and that was panic time inside as I was driving due to water seapage from vent windows' cracks.

Another occasion in my Dino, when I just acquired, also on tollway and it began to rain a bit. Switched the wiper on and the clapper swung way off to one side and got stuck . You can imagine my expression at the time. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #5 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
To me rain is really bad weather and I just try to stay indoors near a fire with an adult beverage.

I know those of you not living in California might have a different perspective having had to adapt to inhuman living conditions.
Typical Californian mentality !!! w/ smiles Jimmy
post #6 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
In 1963 on my way from San Francisco to Staten Island I ran into a big snowstorm with blizzard like conditions at nighttime crossing the continental divide east of Gallup New Mexico on old Route 66. Of course with the Mondial there was no roof and no heater. I kept watching the oil and water temps fall. The skinny tires were of the hard racing rubber we used in those days so the traction in the snow was barely marginal with the result that the slightest inclines became significant challenges. I was wearing an athletic hoodie and goggles. Cold and tired of the concentration needed to keep the car on the road, I spotted a small gas station out in the middle of nowhere and pulled in. With a 40 gallon gas tank I did not need gas so I parked next to the station instead of at the pumps. As I opened the door I noticed the attendant step back with a worried look. Turning to look at myself in the mirror of a cigarette machine I saw this strange figure which was human up to the shoulders but with a white lump in place of a head with two smudged spots where I had been wiping the goggles. From his perspective there was no car at the pumps and this was like the creature from planet X. Many hours later I arrived in Albuquerque where a warm shower and a warm bed helped thaw this frozen guy.

Best regards,
That is a great story Admiral!! I don't know that I would have kept going. I'm thinking I would've found a hotel to wait it out. Thanks for sharing that!

post #7 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post

Best regards,
As usual, great, great story Admiral !!! Almost inhuman and masochistic ! w/ smiles Jimmy
post #8 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
So called moderate rainfall back home on tollway in my Daytona and that was panic time inside as I was driving due to water seapage from vent windows' cracks.

Another occasion in my Dino, when I just acquired, also on tollway and it began to rain a bit. Switched the wiper on and the clapper swung way off to one side and got stuck . You can imagine my expression at the time. w/ smiles Jimmy
Yea, I imagine it was something like, "you have to be @($*#& kidding me!!!" Another great story! Thanks for sharing Jimmy!

post #9 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Jim- Hotels were a scarcity in that part of NM on old Route 66.

Worst for me was usually driving through 4-6" of snow in Clovis, NM in the Dino in the 70s. The red-orange Dino actually worked very well with the open tread pattern of the XWXs.

My boss in England used to come into my office at RAF Lakenheath and say "time to take the red snow plow home" when it snowed. I would leave early with the 308 GTS with the Euro deep spoiler and Pirellis P Zeros on 16" wheels. Those tires do not work for squat in snow.

Modern Ferraris with summer high performance tires are dangerous in snow. The tire compound absolutely does not work at low temperatures.

At least the Admiral had skinny tires, which work better on snow. Cannot imagine what that must have been like with an open car and no heater. Probably like the full cold cockpit we had in an F-111D when the outside temperature varied from -10 F at Cannon AFB to -45 F at Alamosa, CO. Was much colder in that cockpit.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Probably the worst was getting caught in a sudden massive downpour south of Milan in the F40. It felt like someone had just turned a fire hose on. Visibility was less than 50 yards and the highway was covered in a sheet of water within minutes.

A close second was coming around Les Combes at Spa and heading down towards Bruxelles only to find out it had just rained on that part of the track and I was on slicks Needless to say I was a bit sideways and just made it sliding around the corner. Spa with its multiple micro climates can be very tough.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 01:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,402
I never drove the F430 in snow, fortunately! That would be the worst situation. Can't imagine getting stuck on a mountain pass in a snow storm . I got 2 times in a big thunderstorm with pouring rain. The first time was with the PZero tires and it was really hard to keep the car straight. I couldn’t drive faster than 40/50 km/h on the motorway and it was a non-stop fight to not loose the car. The second time was with the PS2 tires and I discovered then how good these tires are even if the motorway looked more like a swimming pool. The car remained in perfect straight line and was very predictable. Ouff . But it is still really stressing to drive in such weather conditions and I always trying to avoid them.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jim- Hotels were a scarcity in that part of NM on old Route 66.

Worst for me was usually driving through 4-6" of snow in Clovis, NM in the Dino in the 70s. The red-orange Dino actually worked very well with the open tread pattern of the XWXs.

My boss in England used to come into my office at RAF Lakenheath and say "time to take the red snow plow home" when it snowed. I would leave early with the 308 GTS with the Euro deep spoiler and Pirellis P Zeros on 16" wheels. Those tires do not work for squat in snow.

Modern Ferraris with summer high performance tires are dangerous in snow. The tire compound absolutely does not work at low temperatures.

At least the Admiral had skinny tires, which work better on snow. Cannot imagine what that must have been like with an open car and no heater. Probably like the full cold cockpit we had in an F-111D when the outside temperature varied from -10 F at Cannon AFB to -45 F at Alamosa, CO. Was much colder in that cockpit.
Thanks for the clarification on the hotels, Terry. I always thought that Route 66 was the tourist highway and hotels were plentiful.

I've only driven my vette in snow one time, when I was bringing it home after I bought it. That was enough for me, and that was only 1+ inches of snow. I can't imagine what 4-6 would have been like in that Dino or a 308 in the snow. Great stories! Thanks for sharing them!!

post #13 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Probably the worst was getting caught in a sudden massive downpour south of Milan in the F40. It felt like someone had just turned a fire hose on. Visibility was less than 50 yards and the highway was covered in a sheet of water within minutes.

A close second was coming around Les Combes at Spa and heading down towards Bruxelles only to find out it had just rained on that part of the track and I was on slicks Needless to say I was a bit sideways and just made it sliding around the corner. Spa with its multiple micro climates can be very tough.
And you found out in short order just how watertight the F40 is or how easy it was to hydroplane with those wide tires. Another great story Boxer! Thanks for sharing.

post #14 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
I never drove the F430 in snow, fortunately! That would be the worst situation. Can't imagine getting stuck on a mountain pass in a snow storm . I got 2 times in a big thunderstorm with pouring rain. The first time was with the PZero tires and it was really hard to keep the car straight. I couldn’t drive faster than 40/50 km/h on the motorway and it was a non-stop fight to not loose the car. The second time was with the PS2 tires and I discovered then how good these tires are even if the motorway looked more like a swimming pool. The car remained in perfect straight line and was very predictable. Ouff . But it is still really stressing to drive in such weather conditions and I always trying to avoid them.
I agree, I never want to drive a Ferrari in the snow if I don't have to, but it's nice to see that it can be done.

Thanks for sharing Stef!!

post #15 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Here's the worst I've ever driven a Ferrari in. In particular posts 208 on....

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/el...ed-5-a-11.html

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #16 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Funny thing is if the recommended snow tires are used on modern Ferraris, they do great. Just most people do not have a separate set of wheels and tires. I know at least one California driver (model, not state) that does have snow tires for his car, and drives it regardless of weather. The nannies, combined with good snow traction, make for a pretty good snow car.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid117 View Post
And you found out in short order just how watertight the F40 is or how easy it was to hydroplane with those wide tires. Another great story Boxer! Thanks for sharing.
The F40 is quite water tight and it does hydroplane nicely.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode