Christmas day ?...driving day ! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-25-2011, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Christmas day ?...driving day !

After a terrible busy week (well the last 3 of them, actually), taking care for the kids, cooking, schoolwork, washing, business, while my wife went to hospital for the surgery beginning of the week (everything went perfectly well, thank God), my wife returned finally home from hospital on Saturday. We had a wonderful family christmas celebration Sat evening while the weather outside was lousy as it was for the past 10 days. But today, Sunday, the sky could not be more blue, the air crystal clear, about 3-6 degrees Celsius and the mountains full of snow shining very invitating for skiing. But no, I had better ideas...! After a 2 hour walk with the family at around 1 pm it was time to empty the horse stable. My daughter was very happy again that my wife was not able to join me as a co-driver because of the back surgery, we started "D"'s gazpump and after 2-3 deep throttle pushes the engine started without hesistation into a wonderfull deep grumble. Garage closed and on we went. Totally dry roads, wonderful scenery and 2500 rpm max for the first 25km's, warm, cosy inside air, great fitting seats with that nice leather smell (freshly creamed lately). Carburator and ignition sync perfect...life can't get better than that......after 25km's short pushes to around 5' rpm...most natural, strong torque a couple of short fast takeovers but tame all in all...just beautiful. Could it be better than that ? No. But different.
Home again. Garage opening..."D" in..quick turn off the battery, short cleaning of the back (from the exhaust)..putting "D" to rest. And turn to the left...
Unrapping of "F".....oohhhh, how extraordinary. 2 so different cars.
Turn on the battery....waiting 2 minutes, puuting the leather case with the necessities into the front, my daughter already putting her skiing cap on her head, formyself a thick jacket and a cap into the car turning the key, wait for the "check OK" sign and pushing the starting knob. Woooaammm..mmmmmm. Feelings at the ceilings !
Slow drive out of the Garage, another 3 minutes warming up in standstill and of we went. Uhhhh coooollld..until the heated air moved in (quite faster than on "D").
Street temperature around "0", tyres a little more I would guess, so very, very slow acceleration, first 20 km's below 2'500 rpm's, beautiful rumble of the chain and engine, car flat and responsive to steering changes like a chess game plate on a table, clutch short and strong, much shorter than "D". Quick Adaptation between the 2 very easy, fast gear changes with that incredibly short gear changing gate. Cool breezing and snow mountain views allover my face and eyes. Engione very, very calm and silent below 2'500 rpm's. Could travel like this for hours...similar to F40 in that range of rpm's.
After 20km's short stints to 5' rpm's but with slow acceleration mode, no hectic, no push down's...to dangerous with those temperatures, finally after 50km's one slow move up to 7' rpm's. Unforgetable sound, a mixture between singing, machineroom and trumpets....to live for. Home again, short cleaning, opening the engine hood which puts the Garage temperature from 10 degrees within 2 minutes to 25 degrees. Turning of the battery, covering up the front of the car......the end.

Christmas, in one of many facettes...!

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
post #3 of 11 Old 12-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Sunday

its been a 75 F degree day here in Southern California,not a cloud in the sky,i was lucky enough to go for a ride with a friend on our motorcycles,we had a good time, and plenty of room for a dozen wheelies between us , lol , i hope things warm up for you fellows out in the cold climates . Take it easy,,Brett
Attached Images

post #4 of 11 Old 12-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
212, Boxer- My daughter (lives in Dartford) said it was beautiful today so glad you took advantage of it for some fun. The dirty rear of the Daytona reminded me of all that black groad that looks like brake dust after every drive. Dinos, too, but not as bad.

Merry Christmas

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Around here, at this time of year, you take advantage of every good driving day you can. Today looks like it might be Ok for another drive.

Did you get out yesterday?
post #6 of 11 Old 12-26-2011, 02:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Great report 212! Felt like i was almost there. Sounds like your daughter has Ferrari blood running through her veins!

How many miles have you put on 'F' now?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #7 of 11 Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Great report 212! Felt like i was almost there. Sounds like your daughter has Ferrari blood running through her veins!

How many miles have you put on 'F' now?
Sorry for the late return...spend a couple of days in Rome, Italy with my kids taken away from home while my honey is/was recupereating from the
surgical treatment of her back.

Put probably 200 km's on the "F" so far and yes my daughter seems to have some Ferrari blood in her veins. (picture attached)

Visited shortly Maranello today at lunch on my way back from rome with the car. Almost everything was closed except for the great Library "Formula 1" where I finally found a english edition from Enzo Ferrari's peronally written book "Piloti, che gente" (translated: my F1 pilots, what a kind of people).
Attached Images

Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #8 of 11 Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Lovely pic 212.

I hope you followed Capo and I's Maranello tradition by finding a suitable Porsche in Maranello and putting a prancing horse sticker on is nose!

Are you travelling by F car or something more in keeping with the winter weather?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #9 of 11 Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Lovely pic 212.

I hope you followed Capo and I's Maranello tradition by finding a suitable Porsche in Maranello and putting a prancing horse sticker on is nose!

Are you travelling by F car or something more in keeping with the winter weather?
We travelled in my everyday car, a VW Golf 2.0 TDI.

post #10 of 11 Old 12-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 120
xmas drive

Like you guys i went out for a drive over xmas, the roads where dry but full of the plod.

they must have had a field day,i spotted 3 people pulled and getting the 3rd degree. so i pulled of the main road and went home via the back, b roads.
well was i in for a shock again the plod, in none marked cars every where. i even had a R32 up me bum so i slowed right down, and did the old arm out the window and away you go sign well the look i got from the 2 plods if they had snakes on their heads i was stone.

any way like most of you home, washed, dried, and put the cars one on and went in to a warm fire, a glass of irish, put on the dvd on and watched Senna.

Perfect xmas

Last edited by weepee; 12-30-2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: full of the good stuff.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-30-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by weepee View Post
Like you guys i went out for a drive over xmas, the roads where dry but full of the plod.

they must have had a field day,i spotted 3 people pulled and getting the 3rd degree. so i pulled of the main road and went home via the back, b roads.
well was i in for a shock again the plod, in none marked cars every where. i even had a R32 up me bum so i slowed right down, and did the old arm out the window and away you go sign well the look i got from the 2 plods if they had snakes on their heads i was stone.

any way like most of you home, washed, dried, and put the cars one on and went in to a warm fire, a glass of irish, put on the dvd on and watched Senna.

Perfect xmas
Perfect, indeed...!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode