How does one choose Ferrari: Self analysis in retrospect - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
How does one choose Ferrari: Self analysis in retrospect

Often, I wondered how does one choose Ferrari or any other car. Some of the common factors that come to my mind are: budget, age bracket, power, traditional (classic) versus more modern, and so forth.

Speaking for myself, in retrospect, I wanted variations. First Fcar I purchased was F355, a V8. Next came Dino, a V6. Then 365BB, a V12 midship. Next was Daytona, a front V12, and finally 275GTB2, another front V12 but with different personality than Daytona.

One of the thinking behind this was the fact that I wanted variations and wished for the differences in engines and layouts. In retrospect, this was the determining factor behind my purchase pattern, so to speak.

For other brands, similar thinking pattern too. Porsche Turbo 3.6 Flatnose Exclusive is a single turbo 964 model of it's last kind. Turbo S RUF R is a twin turbo based on the last aircooled 993 model. Both are turbos but with very different characters and drive feels. Porsche 356B is a car in the other extreme with only four cylinders, drum brakes and all of the old goodies.

There are many other factors but if I begin talking about those, this rant would become very, very long. I shall stop for now. Thanx for reading.

w/ smiles Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 07:29 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
Whatever makes you fEEl alive, man -- that's what you get. ~DeLiciosO`
it's not logical, but emotional - mUy Caliente
post #3 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Maybe I am a bit anorexic ? w/ smiles Jimmy

post #4 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
I ended up in the Ferrari stable because of my father, although as a kid I generally gravitated towards Aston Martin's (go figure). My dad grew up in the 70s and was my age (mid 20s) during the Magnum, P.I. years. I still remember my dad coming home from work when I was maybe four or five years old and working on his models (he has an entire room in my parent's house devoted to them, with two 1/8th scale Testarossas as the centerpiece). I can't count the number of issues of DuPont Registry, Ferrari books and magazines I looked at with him when I was a young teen.

The mutual adoration and respect for the cars grew out of that, and it became one of the stronger bonds that he and I share (along with a love of golf). Part of it for me is a nostalgia factor.

Regardless of anything else, we can always talk about our Italian cars...though one day he'll replace his 328 and have the jump on my 355. ;-)

All the best.
post #5 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
I ended up in the Ferrari stable because of my father, although as a kid I generally gravitated towards Aston Martin's (go figure). My dad grew up in the 70s and was my age (mid 20s) during the Magnum, P.I. years. I still remember my dad coming home from work when I was maybe four or five years old and working on his models (he has an entire room in my parent's house devoted to them, with two 1/8th scale Testarossas as the centerpiece). I can't count the number of issues of DuPont Registry, Ferrari books and magazines I looked at with him when I was a young teen.

The mutual adoration and respect for the cars grew out of that, and it became one of the stronger bonds that he and I share (along with a love of golf). Part of it for me is a nostalgia factor.

Regardless of anything else, we can always talk about our Italian cars...though one day he'll replace his 328 and have the jump on my 355. ;-)

All the best.
White Knight,...indeed nostalgia father/son bond is another big factor, which I never had the privilege to experience. My childhood was far removed from Ferraris or any other cars, for that matter. w/ smiles Jimmy

Last edited by Italian Lover; 12-20-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling correction
post #6 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Jimmy I feel where you are headed - emotionally

Losing the Ferrari service center gives me pause to my "want list".

I hate technology - Thermostats Navigation any control besides a turn dial you name it - I hate it.

Flip side is the need for speed - and the modern cars sure are fun to go fast in and the nanny's are well appreciated.

Debating to sell the 612 - I looked at every Ferrari within reason and checked out the 0-60 stats ... FYI 288 was under 5 seconds.

I need at least 500 hp and 0 -60 under 4 ... would love an older Ferrari but the need for speed is the heavy weight in my equation.

My creative side has a serious obsession with Borrani's so I am now meandering for my mono perfect Ferrari.
post #7 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 212
when I bought my first Ferrari it was 1 of 100 of that model with the entire annual production somewhere between 500 to 1000... that mystique is gone forever with current annual production figures of 7500 +/- My first Porsche had a total run of 1000 + cars... I was something special then ... now marketing hype adds a few badges, claims more power, and limits the number of badges they will order... hurry, step up and buy before we run out of badges... then they will try it again with a new set of badges
post #8 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I need at least 500 hp and 0 -60 under 4 ... would love an older Ferrari but the need for speed is the heavy weight in my equation.

My creative side has a serious obsession with Borrani's so I am now meandering for my mono perfect Ferrari.
If you wanted a FUN project, buy a late model TR, lose the pre-cat and cats, add an aftermarket exhaust (Tubi or perhaps a Capristo), then add twin turbochargers - Norwood Performance offered 3-stage engine upgrades.

Norwood Twin Turbo Ferrari Testarossa TR - YouTube

Twin Turbo Ferrari Testarossa on Engine Dyno. The motor is a 4.9L flat 12 which has been upgraded with EFI via a Bigstuff3 PRO SEFI ECM and twin Precision Turbo turbochargers. At this stage the motor is running 6psi boost and has no internal modifications. They ran it from 3500rpm to 7500rpm and it produced 650hp and 600lbs*ft of torque.

Twin Turbo Ferrari Testarossa on Engine Dyno - YouTube

I you REALLY want to go fast, check this out from Norwood:

Checkout this 288 GTO here: Bonneville GTO
post #9 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromage View Post
when I bought my first Ferrari it was 1 of 100 of that model with the entire annual production somewhere between 500 to 1000... that mystique is gone forever with current annual production figures of 7500 +/- My first Porsche had a total run of 1000 + cars... I was something special then ... now marketing hype adds a few badges, claims more power, and limits the number of badges they will order... hurry, step up and buy before we run out of badges... then they will try it again with a new set of badges

The current day definition of limited production means limited to the number they can sell.
post #10 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Jimmy, it's an interesting debate you have raised.

Boxer opened a similar (but not identical) thread - http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/fe...d-you-get.html, essentially how did each of us come to follow the brand. You've taken the next logical step, how did we choose the model(s) of Ferrari to buy.

I can only speak from my own experience. I bought the 360, probably for all of the wrong reasons. I had spent all of my life lusting after a Ferrari, and when I finally found the means to buy one, I simply went for the most modern model that I could afford at the time. It had to be red, it had to be loud, it had to be fast and it had to have cream leather. That was my hit list, which meant pretty much half the Ferrari's ever made. So of course I did the amateur thing, pushed the boat out, discounted classics straight away (fool that I am ), couldn't afford a 430 or modern 12 cylinder at that point in my life, so zoned straight in on the 360. In hindsight, I'm glad that I got a good one and it turned out to be as good as I hoped, I'll never sell it but I'd be lying if I were to say that it was anything other than the Ferrari red mist that led me to the 360. (I hadn't found F-Life at that point!)

The 308 was entirely different. Bought for completely different motivations. First and foremost, I had seen the error () of my ways and wanted to compliment the 360 with a classic Ferrari. Next motivation was family (abilty to carry all my children), after that, I was open to suggestion, but realistically and practically the 308 GT4 fitted the bill so well it was the only real candidate for Ferrari no. 2. And so far it's been a pure joy to own.

Ferrari no. 3??? What will it be. Well I'm probably 5 years, a different economy, a 4 post car lift, an even more understanding wife and a lot of luck away from finding out, but one things is pretty certain. This time the leading motivation (assuming 360 and 308 are still with me) will be V12. At the moment, a 550 Maranello would be the ideal car in my opinion to add to the garage, but now I'm back in dream land....

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #11 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The current day definition of limited production means limited to the number they can sell.
Indeed, it is. At least Porsche is three steps ahead of Ferrari in this respect. w/ smiles Jimmy

PS. Brian, I do like your updated avatar, but I hope it is not you doing that !!! I do not think his shorts would be there for long like that.
post #12 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post

Boxer opened a similar (but not identical) thread - http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/fe...d-you-get.html, essentially how did each of us come to follow the brand. You've taken the next logical step, how did we choose the model(s) of Ferrari to buy.

I can only speak from my own experience. I bought the 360, probably for all of the wrong reasons. I had spent all of my life lusting after a Ferrari, and when I finally found the means to buy one, I simply went for the most modern model that I could afford at the time. It had to be red, it had to be loud, it had to be fast and it had to have cream leather. That was my hit list, which meant pretty much half the Ferrari's ever made. So of course I did the amateur thing, pushed the boat out, discounted classics straight away (fool that I am ), couldn't afford a 430 or modern 12 cylinder at that point in my life, so zoned straight in on the 360. In hindsight, I'm glad that I got a good one and it turned out to be as good as I hoped, I'll never sell it but I'd be lying if I were to say that it was anything other than the Ferrari red mist that led me to the 360. (I hadn't found F-Life at that point!)

The 308 was entirely different. Bought for completely different motivations. First and foremost, I had seen the error () of my ways and wanted to compliment the 360 with a classic Ferrari. Next motivation was family (abilty to carry all my children), after that, I was open to suggestion, but realistically and practically the 308 GT4 fitted the bill so well it was the only real candidate for Ferrari no. 2. And so far it's been a pure joy to own.

Ferrari no. 3??? What will it be. Well I'm probably 5 years, a different economy, a 4 post car lift, an even more understanding wife and a lot of luck away from finding out, but one things is pretty certain. This time the leading motivation (assuming 360 and 308 are still with me) will be V12. At the moment, a 550 Maranello would be the ideal car in my opinion to add to the garage, but now I'm back in dream land....
Understood, Barry. Great that you are back in dreamland again. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #13 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Understood, Barry. Great that you are back in dreamland again. w/ smiles Jimmy
it takes very little to get me back there Jimmy...

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #14 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:

...or you sell the 360 (I know you'll NEVER sell it) buy a well used F40 as a replacement and the 456M GT.
post #15 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
...or you sell the 360 (I know you'll NEVER sell it) buy a well used F40 as a replacement and the 456M GT.
212, my friend, just introduce me to the dealer who can arrange that kind of a trade in without me having to add 's measured in the hundreds of thousands and I will happily eat my words.....

post #16 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
Jimmy,

I think you hit the major factors.

In my own case, I posted in Boxer's thread that I dreamed of owning a Ferrari since my first ride back when I was a kid. However, once the dream became possible, I must admit that price was the biggest factor. With that being the case, the choice came down to a 355 or a 360. The 360 won out as it seemed that it maximized reliability and minimized maintenance costs.

The dream now is for a 12 cylinder (a 456?) and maybe a vintage model as well, perhaps a 330 2+2. The criteria for these will be smooth and quiet Grand Touring for the 12, and old-school "vintage-ness" for the 330.

Killer

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #17 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
The dream now is for a 12 cylinder (a 456?) and maybe a vintage model as well, perhaps a 330 2+2. The criteria for these will be smooth and quiet Grand Touring for the 12, and old-school "vintage-ness" for the 330.

Killer
I can relate David... (though I suspect it's an all to common illness... )

post #18 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
212, my friend, just introduce me to the dealer who can arrange that kind of a trade in without me having to add 's measured in the hundreds of thousands and I will happily eat my words.....
My dear friend Barry, I definitively can introduce you to that guy from Ireland which is open, friendly, intelligent and works in the health care management sector, which, longer term will boom dramatically after the country of Ireland has let go its past and looks forward to a bright future with still low taxes and good investment opportunies down the road. This will aloud this guy to fulfill most of his dreams now and into the future. I guess you know that guy too.....!
Besides this guy, driving his new pleasure investment already 2000km's in the first couple of weeks, has all my respect for being a true enthusiast in the best sense of the word. Go for it..
post #19 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
My dear friend Barry, I definitively can introduce you to that guy from Ireland which is open, friendly, intelligent and works in the health care management sector, which, longer term will boom dramatically after the country of Ireland has let go its past and looks forward to a bright future with still low taxes and good investment opportunies down the road. This will aloud this guy to fulfill most of his dreams now and into the future. I guess you know that guy too.....!
Besides this guy, driving his new pleasure investment already 2000km's in the first couple of weeks, has all my respect for being a true enthusiast in the best sense of the word. Go for it..
I doff my virtual hat to you 212!

Let's hope that predicted Ireland comes to fruition.

post #20 of 46 Old 12-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
i think for a lot of car guys, it's the process of elimination. if you strive for the top long enough you could eventually get there. i know i went through most of the marques through the years before i got there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode