599GTB on fire in Dubai... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
599GTB on fire in Dubai...

A mate of mine had told me about this 599 burning in Dubai two days ago and now it's made news headlines. A family member that lives in Dubai actually witness the car on fire.

The driver managed to get out safely and unharmed.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 41
I also drove by this 599 on fire the other day. Flames where very high. I went home got my camera and drove by again. Not the best pics as I was driving at the same time!

I was on my way to the Dubai classic car show and will post a couple of pics on another thread

Markus
Attached Images

post #3 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Total meltdown.....:-(

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control

post #4 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
such a new car: wonder at the reason.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
such a new car: wonder at the reason.

Of all the criticisim I aim at Ferrari North America I also have to praise them when they deserve it.

Ferrari QA is a terrible joke. The cars that roll off the line and get sent off to all corners of the world are often barely driveable POS's. or how ever you spell that.

The fact that any of them run at all or dont have big pieces fall off on the road or catch fire is largely due to the distributors and dealers world wide. Trust me, it ain't Ferrari Spa.

Ferrari North America has a few guys that go over every car and for the size of a job it is they do a really great job of catching the problems before the dealers ever see the cars. We went to the same new product schools as they did so I got to know a couple of them. They deserve a lot of credit for keeping us in this country from being exposed to the poorly finished products rolling out the door in Maranello.

Not all the distributors are as concerned or detail oriented. Many just pass the car straight over to the dealer and due to the warranty program the dealers have little incentive to do more than wash and sell the car.

Here's to you Cosmo.

Last edited by Brian; 12-06-2011 at 09:36 AM.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Brian:

I'll have to agree on what little I know of this as well. When Spa owned FofSF, saw many, and I mean way too many, NEW cars at one of two or more body shops across from the service center [HW 101] getting new fenders, windshields, a wheel, or side pieces etc. etc. and going on the floor as 'pristine': Sales stickers still in the window.

Not saying that isn't the practice of all other dealerships, but seeing the types of bondo like fills etc. going on in some, I would be upset to get a new car not being told me the facts and paying that price. Yes, I personally can account for a bondo fill on seeing what I saw. No disrespect to anyone, just a fact.

What I didn't see didn't care. Probably wouldn't want to know anyway.

As for the numerous CAs having problems and being silently fixed well, that speaks a lot. Not saying don't buy one, but check first.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #7 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Incidentally, if the temperature gets hot enough, like with a gasoline fire, the aluminum bodywork does not just melt, it actually burns. Not as bad as magnesium, but still way worse than steel, where temperatures rarely get hot enough to cook it off.

During the Falklands war, the Royal Navy had ships that went along with the latest naval architecture fad and had aluminum superstructure. The lowered weight above the hull lowered the center of gravity and made the ships more maneuverable and better able to tolerate bad weather and high seas. When hit by HE bombs, though, that superstructure burned like a match. Our navy learned a few lessons from that, most of which have been forgotten and they are building ships with aluminum superstructures again.

Aluminum is great for weight reduction, but it sure makes a nice fire.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Incidentally, if the temperature gets hot enough, like with a gasoline fire, the aluminum bodywork does not just melt, it actually burns. Not as bad as magnesium, but still way worse than steel, where temperatures rarely get hot enough to cook it off.

During the Falklands war, the Royal Navy had ships that went along with the latest naval architecture fad and had aluminum superstructure. The lowered weight above the hull lowered the center of gravity and made the ships more maneuverable and better able to tolerate bad weather and high seas. When hit by HE bombs, though, that superstructure burned like a match. Our navy learned a few lessons from that, most of which have been forgotten and they are building ships with aluminum superstructures again.

Aluminum is great for weight reduction, but it sure makes a nice fire.

Bradly Fighting Vehicle had the same problem. RPG hit turned it into a Roman candle.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Brian:

I'll have to agree on what little I know of this as well. When Spa owned FofSF, saw many, and I mean way too many, NEW cars at one of two or more body shops across from the service center [HW 101] getting new fenders, windshields, a wheel, or side pieces etc. etc. and going on the floor as 'pristine': Sales stickers still in the window.

Not saying that isn't the practice of all other dealerships, but seeing the types of bondo like fills etc. going on in some, I would be upset to get a new car not being told me the facts and paying that price. Yes, I personally can account for a bondo fill on seeing what I saw. No disrespect to anyone, just a fact.

What I didn't see didn't care. Probably wouldn't want to know anyway.

As for the numerous CAs having problems and being silently fixed well, that speaks a lot. Not saying don't buy one, but check first.

When Ferrari owned that store they got many of their cars direct without going through FNA. Those are probably the cars you saw. Lots of the cars get shipping damage and FNA has them fixed locally in NJ. One of the reasons so many of us thought it amusing when the words "Original factory paint" was thrown around. I remember a 575 that had such extensive repairs to the front and rear end we thought maybe they forgot to tie it down on the ship ride over.

When they come direct from Maranello they are airfreighted if you want to pay extra and come in a great big crate like this. That piece of wood laying down in front of the car is actually one of two ramps bolted in place that you use to drive the car out of the crate.

The wood is throughly infused with a fire retardant it would not burn. One of the guys cut it all up and took it home for firewood but couldn't burn it. It became a bit of a problem getting rid of so much wood when several cars came in.
Attached Images

post #10 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I can't recall Brian's original entire post if your Ferrari catches on fire - but after the posts and video it sure does make sense.

It was something along the lines of go to the store and buy some marshmallows - maybe Maranello will lose the fire extinguisher option offering false hope and offer the option of a quick release container housing a bag of marshmallows.

Last edited by champagne612; 12-06-2011 at 12:53 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Brian- Great photo. Maybe air freight is not the best deal.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode