Ferrari - Daily Driver - Who Does ? Who Doesn't - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 11-21-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Ferrari - Daily Driver - Who Does ? Who Doesn't

I am planning on going back to using a Ferrari as my daily (or at least frequent) driver starting next spring.

Who else uses their Ferrari as there main car/daily driver?

If you don't, why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 11-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
I bought the GT4 with the plan of using it as a daily driver. I even planned to keep it on the driveway, at least half the time. It's only 8 days in my ownership and it has never slept outside, and I know now it never will.

I'll still try to use if frequently but it will never be my daily driver, the reasons being (in this order).
1 My daily driver is a motorbike, its much quicker to all my work meetings and saves me at least 5-10 hours per week, plus it's fun to ride.
2 To get a car out of my garage I have to move our camper/motorhome. Not a big deal but not something I'd want to do at 7.30 every morning.
3 There are many places I go to for work that I would never dream of leaving a Ferrari.
4 I have a fear that if I drove the Ferrari every single day, some of the novelty would wear off. For now, if I'm in the Ferrari its an event, and I know I'm not going to work. I think I like it this way.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 44 Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Some Ferrari's are well suited to that, some are not. If you have one that is, no reason not to. I have had several clients that used theirs that way and said it was the best daily driver they had ever had. The cars that get used that way give their owners great service.

I had a doctor client years ago that had several Ferrari's in a row as daily drivers. The other doctors at the hospital made fun of him at the start telling him it was not reliable enough to be his only car. He told us year in and year out his cars were there on a more regular basis than the other doctors Benz's and Porsche's.

A local man I know has a Testarossa he uses as a commuter. It has about 250,000 miles on it. He recently installed the cars 3rd clutch. The motor has never needed more than routine servicing and the transmission has never been opened.

The worst thing that happens to most of these cars is the way most of us use them.

Last edited by Brian; 11-21-2011 at 02:39 PM.

post #4 of 44 Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
I would use mine as a DD, except I can't leave it parked at work. Our building is on the top or a ridge right on the ocean in San Diego. We have a constant sea breeze that comes up the hill and deposits a fine powder of salt and sand on everything.

I used to drive my Jaguar there and after just one year, all of the chrome was pitted. The San Diego coast is also the most corrosive spot on the planet.

So unfortunately, it's the old Dozer or bicycle for me every day.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #5 of 44 Old 11-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
I work overseas 3 mos. on 1 off, so when I come home mine is my DD for the month. I used it for shopping at Walmart and Lowes several times!!! Although I park way off in the Distance at Walmart...
post #6 of 44 Old 11-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby69 View Post
I work overseas 3 mos. on 1 off, so when I come home mine is my DD for the month. I used it for shopping at Walmart and Lowes several times!!! Although I park way off in the Distance at Walmart...

A now deceased client used his Cal Spider for grocery shopping and running to the hardware store. He once told me "I paid $6000 for this car. I'll never sell it so to me it is a $6000 car. It might be worth more to my heirs but I'll let them worry about that".
post #7 of 44 Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
F Car DD ?

i have never used my 328 as a daily driver,and for me,,i dont feel that Ferrari fits into the DD catagory ,i know that many models could be and are used as dailys by many owners around the world. I consider my Ferrari a driving machine, 99 % of the time i get in it and dont get out until the driving is finished,its a car meant for the absolute pure joy of driving. I would get tired of driving any Ferrari all the time and for me the thrill and excitement that builds up inside me while anticipating my next rip would all but fade away after a while . Its the same for riding my motorcycles, I dont use them for transportation ,I ride them for the absolute pure thrill of it . Ferraris and motorcycles are a state of mind for me , I guess im also the kind of fellow that always needs something to look forward too , my Ferrari as well as the motorcycles fill that need , not all the time, but they are always ready , when its time. Brett
post #8 of 44 Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I drive mine once or twice a week during the week.

Only concern is the heat on the leather dash - besides that it's perfection.

I enjoy my life as much as possible - driving a Ferrari as much as possible doesn't suck
post #9 of 44 Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
as a family, we drive less then 7,000 kms a year all in and we both have/had (Lucie on mat leave now) a sub 12 minute walk to work so a Daily Driver is not an issue.

That said, if it became a must have, we'd keep the Avant as the Great Dane friendly family car and I'd get a 612 as a daily driver

- Brett

-----------------------
Current: 1978 308 GTB (25823)
Past:
Other: 2011 Audi A6 Avant
post #10 of 44 Old 11-21-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
A now deceased client used his Cal Spider for grocery shopping and running to the hardware store. He once told me "I paid $6000 for this car. I'll never sell it so to me it is a $6000 car. It might be worth more to my heirs but I'll let them worry about that".
What a great mind set.
post #11 of 44 Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
- driving a Ferrari as much as possible doesn't suck
Certainly does not, hence the intention to go back to using one as a daily driver.
post #12 of 44 Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
What a great spirit ! I wish I have half his balls to utter lines like that !!!
w/ smiles Jimmy
post #13 of 44 Old 11-22-2011, 03:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
I bought my 456 with the view of using it as a DD....can't wait for it to arrive

Current: 348 GT Competizione, 456 GT (Manual)

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.
Gilles Villeneuve
post #14 of 44 Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I have a 10yo ford f150 i use as a daily driver. couldn't use the ferrari for the same reason i need the truck. Plus i like my ferrari to look great as it is a special car to drive for me. Driving it regularly in the rain would be a nightmare to keep clean. I drive around quite a bit during the day and constantly watching over it would drive me mad. my truck i don't care where it's parked or what happens to it. If i drove back and forth to an office and parked it in a garage everyday that might change the situation.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #15 of 44 Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Took mine out yesterday - I don't drive a Ferrari

Guy at the gas station remarked ... nice car and his wife chirped I love the new Mustang especially in that color.

My guess is a good majority of people have no idea about the 612.
post #16 of 44 Old 11-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Owner

Quote:

I enjoy my life as much as possible - driving a Ferrari as much as possible doesn't suck

Buy a windshield cover and never ever park the car outdoors without it.

Also, unless it is raining keep a window cracked open for ventilation.

Our 1990 TR dash looks like new.
post #17 of 44 Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:

My guess is a good majority of people have no idea about the 612.
I have had a few people walk up to me at gas stations and ask if my F40 was a real one
post #18 of 44 Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Buy a windshield cover and never ever park the car outdoors without it.

Also, unless it is raining keep a window cracked open for ventilation.

Our 1990 TR dash looks like new.
+1 on the windsshield cover.
post #19 of 44 Old 11-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:

Same here.

When my wife wants me to run an errand I am not particularly fond to do, I use the Ferraris to get my mind right.

Not a DD, but worth the occasional runs during the week to the local stores.
post #20 of 44 Old 11-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
All my Ferraris have been daily drivers because they were my only car besides my wife's car. It was all I could do to buy the Ferraris, so no choice but to drive them. Never had one leave me stranded and they were parked outside at the squadron wherever I lived. None of the early cars had leather dashes, so no need to be paranoid about dashes shrinking. You just had to worry about rust.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 11-23-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode