How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 9 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 562 Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Daytona 15741

I was quite taken by the looks of the Daytona as well as the legend. I bought 15741 sight unseen from Bill Noon at Symbolic.

I sold it to a gentleman who has a 275 and a Gullwing in the stable. I have dibs of course but it is perfectly restored now and likely to be in long term ownership.

I am driving my 456MGT regularly and would like a modern day Daytona, the 599.

I think this may be my first post. I saw Wetpet at Cavalino and he got me over here.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 562 Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
Stan- Welcome and great to see you on Ferrari Life. Beautiful Daytona, and, just like me, you will have owned one forever. Look forward to seeing photos of your 456M.

Go down to Member Intros and tell us about yourself and Andrew can get you signed up as an owner.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #163 of 562 Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Stan, welcome to FL.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

post #164 of 562 Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Stan- Welcome and great to see you on Ferrari Life. Beautiful Daytona, and, just like me, you will have owned one forever. Look forward to seeing photos of your 456M.

Go down to Member Intros and tell us about yourself and Andrew can get you signed up as an owner.
Stan +1 Welcome to FerrariLife. Good story.
post #165 of 562 Old 01-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Stan, welcome! Great pics, tx for sharing

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #166 of 562 Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I'll be looking for Andrew. Pics of 456 will follow.
post #167 of 562 Old 01-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Stan

Welcome to FLife

I was supposed to be there - maybe next time.

Looking forward to the 456 pictures.
post #168 of 562 Old 01-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
When I was in my mid teens I would collect 1:18 models of exotics, at the time my father had a Porsche 944 S2 Cabrio and a 911 hardtop and I would join him on cruises and eventually joined the local Porsche car club with him.

We did track days where I got to fulfill my dream of racing a car (the 911) but this ended when my father decided to respray the car to return it to it's former glory.

Around that time Porsche got stale (IMO) with it's designs and with the release of the Boxster it seemed to head in a less masculine direction which didn't appeal to me.

My loyalty started to drift towards Ferrari, I had always loved the look of the 308 and the 328, at the time the 348 and Testarossa really sparked my attention. I saw photos of the F40 and it was just so wild I couldn't get enough.

Then on an interstate family holiday we stopped off at a local prestige car dealer so I could do some window shopping (and take photos). I convinced my father to take me inside so I could get some better photos and whilst inside I happened to speak to a sales person and mentioned that I loved the F40. To my surprise he took me into their service department where a F40 was just waiting for me to admire her.

From that moment I was destined to buy a Ferrari. For many years I resisted buying a 308, 348 and the 355 never did it for me. I decided to save my money to buy something a little newer and invest in my property and my business to make this possible. I also wanted to keep the Ferrari just out of reach for long enough to inspire me to work hard and stay focused on my goals.

I watched the 360 get replaced by the F430 (and the $ drop) and then when the 458 was released I knew my time was getting closer. I watched the 360 Spider drop around $80-100k AUD further whilst I decided on interior configuration etc (I knew my first Ferrari had to be Rosso Corsa) and in December last year I finally pulled the trigger and purchased myself a Rosso Corsa 360 Spider F1 with Crema Interior.

My dream of Ferrari ownership was a reality and the emotional experience has been equally enjoyable as the incredible driving experience which far exceeds my expectations.

I am not as fortunate as some of the forum members here with the wonderful car collections, but coming from a hard working middle class Australian family the Ferrari has helped to inspire me to work hard and achieve my goals (one of which is building such a collection).

Next on my list of goals is purchasing an adjoining property to build a vehicle showroom (and other additions to our home) and to fill it with a Lamborghini Murcielago LP-640, 57 Corvette, MG TD, Austin Healey 100 and a few other nice toys (including more F-Cars). Somewhere I read a quote "nothing motivates for success like a Ferrari" and I completely agree.

Current: 360 Spider F1
post #169 of 562 Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Maragan
Great story and one that once again illustrates the emotional investment that is often equal or greater than the financial one, behind the purchase of a Ferrari. Especially a first Ferrari.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #170 of 562 Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Nice story indeed.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #171 of 562 Old 02-05-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maragan View Post
When I was in my mid teens I would collect 1:18 models of exotics, at the time my father had a Porsche 944 S2 Cabrio and a 911 hardtop and I would join him on cruises and eventually joined the local Porsche car club with him.

We did track days where I got to fulfill my dream of racing a car (the 911) but this ended when my father decided to respray the car to return it to it's former glory.

Around that time Porsche got stale (IMO) with it's designs and with the release of the Boxster it seemed to head in a less masculine direction which didn't appeal to me.

My loyalty started to drift towards Ferrari, I had always loved the look of the 308 and the 328, at the time the 348 and Testarossa really sparked my attention. I saw photos of the F40 and it was just so wild I couldn't get enough.

Then on an interstate family holiday we stopped off at a local prestige car dealer so I could do some window shopping (and take photos). I convinced my father to take me inside so I could get some better photos and whilst inside I happened to speak to a sales person and mentioned that I loved the F40. To my surprise he took me into their service department where a F40 was just waiting for me to admire her.

From that moment I was destined to buy a Ferrari. For many years I resisted buying a 308, 348 and the 355 never did it for me. I decided to save my money to buy something a little newer and invest in my property and my business to make this possible. I also wanted to keep the Ferrari just out of reach for long enough to inspire me to work hard and stay focused on my goals.

I watched the 360 get replaced by the F430 (and the $ drop) and then when the 458 was released I knew my time was getting closer. I watched the 360 Spider drop around $80-100k AUD further whilst I decided on interior configuration etc (I knew my first Ferrari had to be Rosso Corsa) and in December last year I finally pulled the trigger and purchased myself a Rosso Corsa 360 Spider F1 with Crema Interior.

My dream of Ferrari ownership was a reality and the emotional experience has been equally enjoyable as the incredible driving experience which far exceeds my expectations.

I am not as fortunate as some of the forum members here with the wonderful car collections, but coming from a hard working middle class Australian family the Ferrari has helped to inspire me to work hard and achieve my goals (one of which is building such a collection).

Next on my list of goals is purchasing an adjoining property to build a vehicle showroom (and other additions to our home) and to fill it with a Lamborghini Murcielago LP-640, 57 Corvette, MG TD, Austin Healey 100 and a few other nice toys (including more F-Cars). Somewhere I read a quote "nothing motivates for success like a Ferrari" and I completely agree.
Another great story. Thanks.
post #172 of 562 Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maragan View Post

Wonderful Story !

cheers,

Bill
post #173 of 562 Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Maragan
Great story and one that once again illustrates the emotional investment that is often equal or greater than the financial one, behind the purchase of a Ferrari. Especially a first Ferrari.
Agree, especially with your first Ferrari, the emotional investment far outweighs the out of pocket cost.
post #174 of 562 Old 02-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by open roads View Post
I was quite taken by the looks of the Daytona as well as the legend. I bought 15741 sight unseen from Bill Noon at Symbolic.

I sold it to a gentleman who has a 275 and a Gullwing in the stable. I have dibs of course but it is perfectly restored now and likely to be in long term ownership.

I think this may be my first post. I saw Wetpet at Cavalino and he got me over here.
Stan! Good to see you here; the last time I saw your car was at one of the Radcliffe Motors parties before you went to FL.

folks, Stan's daytona may have the best patina of any Daytona I've ever seen. Maintain it and drive it!
post #175 of 562 Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 386
When I was four years old, my father dropped my brother and me off at the babysitter's house and came back a few hours later in a brand new, fire engine red Pontiac Firebird. It was an automatic with a ray cloth interior. Sitting in the back, I always marveled at how he could stay in the lane when he was driving down the road. I would strain my neck trying to see out the windshield from the back seat. I think the seat belt law took effect two years later, and that ended my reign of propping myself up in the back seat to watch my father drive.

He had subscriptions to the three big rags back then: Car and Driver, Road & Track, and Motor Trend. Even though he couldn't afford one, he loved the sports cars featured in those pages, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on each issue the second he left one laying around the house. One of the first things I ever wrote for school was a short story that mentioned Porsche; when I showed my father, he was amazed that I spelled Porsche correctly.

My father loved to go for long drives in his car, and we'd often find ourselves on Route 9W up in Westchester County in New York. One of the places my father would stop on his many drives was a small independent dealership. We never went there when it was open, but I'd peer through the window and see a Countach or a 328 or a Testarossa. I don't remember the name of the dealership, but it's still around; run by a guy named Nick.

Between those impromptu stops at the dealership, the exotica splashed about the pages of my father's magazines, and riding around in his "sports" car, I was hooked. And while I love all cars, it was Ferrari that captivated me more than anything.

I need an Aventador!
post #176 of 562 Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Carbon- That is Nick Soprano's Motor Classic and Competition Corporation. I bought my Dino 246 from his father (I think, brother, whatever), John Soprano, in 1975.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #177 of 562 Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Carbon- That is Nick Soprano's Motor Classic and Competition Corporation. I bought my Dino 246 from his father (I think, brother, whatever), John Soprano, in 1975.
That's a nice little tidbit for my database - thanks, Terry!

Yes, Nick Soprano, Motor Classic, that's the place. Back when I was a kid, it had a unique look to it - a very cozy feel to the exterior, at least, that's how I remember it. I would cup my face in my hands and press against the glass to look past the sun's glare and see what was inside. While I can't remember specifically what was in there, it was the mid-to-late '80s, so I can only imagine what I saw - short wheelbases and GTOs and Testarossas with quarter million dollar price tags. Maybe a Miura SV or a widow maker. I just remember being awed by stuff that looked so different and awesome than what I was used to seeing on the streets of the Bronx.

I need an Aventador!
post #178 of 562 Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Carbon- Well, I got part of it right. I actually bought the Dino from John Romano. Got my Italian names crossed. Too much watching the Sopranos on cable, I guess.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #179 of 562 Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Great thread and it is really good to hear so many fanstastic stories.

For me, as a small boy my heart would race every time I heard the hard-edged scream of high-reving engine, but the cars that always seem to catch my attention had a prancing horse on the front. Episodes of Magnum and pretty much any film featuring a Ferrari were de rigueur. I think the film that finally did it for me, though, was probably Goldeneye (1995). Whilst many were drawn to Bond's Aston Martin DB5, mine was drawn to the brightred Ferrari F355 and not just because of the driver! When I finally got behind the steering wheel, I knew it was for me. The rest, as they say, is history.

Happy driving

Boon
post #180 of 562 Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:

This car was for sale in the Ferrari Market Letter through Stu Carpenter of Copley Motorcars in Massachusetts back in December. Did you know it was once again available? Did you buy it from the RM Auction in January, 2001, at the Biltmore Resort & Spa in Phoenix? A year before that it was up for auction through Christie's, lot number 40, at the Peterson Museum in Los Angeles.

Quote:
Stan, can you tell me the serial number of your 456M?

I need an Aventador!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode