How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 8 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
Bryan- Great story and nice having a Ferrari be part of the family. Coincidentally, I built a 1/25 Monogram 250 LM in 1964/65, just before I left for NMMI.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 562 Old 01-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Thanks, Barry, Jimmy and Terry. I really cannot take credit for any of this; it's a lucky accident of birth that I ended up w/ 0556(0446)MD as my older sibling. Credit has to go to my dad who recognized the magic in the beat up wreck he found in the back of that Rambler dealership in 1960, and then resisted the temptation to sell when the value of the car went from less than $10,000 to over $1M in about a seven year period in the '80s.

Best part of this is having the privilege of being a part of a great community like this. While the Ferrari world definitely has its share of schmucks, at its core are the real enthusiasts who "get" the true mystique of Ferrari - and I'm talking about present company!
post #143 of 562 Old 01-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
Thanks, Barry, Jimmy and Terry. I really cannot take credit for any of this; it's a lucky accident of birth that I ended up w/ 0556(0446)MD as my older sibling. Credit has to go to my dad who recognized the magic in the beat up wreck he found in the back of that Rambler dealership in 1960, and then resisted the temptation to sell when the value of the car went from less than $10,000 to over $1M in about a seven year period in the '80s.

Best part of this is having the privilege of being a part of a great community like this. While the Ferrari world definitely has its share of schmucks, at its core are the real enthusiasts who "get" the true mystique of Ferrari - and I'm talking about present company!
All compliments back to you Brian. Thanks for a great story . If i'm counting right, you will celebrate your 50's birthday this year in late fall. Would you like to give yourself a early birthday present....like joining FLED 6

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50

post #144 of 562 Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
When I was in high school, I was part of a group of kids interested in foreign sports cars, and the car of our dreams was Ferrari. One day I saw a 250 SWB, and it was love at first sight. Then I saw a 275GTB short nose, and it was orgasm at first sight. Then one day when I was in college I was walking past a car dealership, and I passed by a yellow car. The car winked at me. I stopped and looked at it. What do you know? It was a Ferrari.

I have as much artistic talent as Yoko Ono, but I know great art when I see it. A Ferrari automobile is the perfect blend of great art and ourstanding mechanical engineering.
post #145 of 562 Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
44- Welcome. Good story on being smitten. Happened to most of us except Bryan, who was born with one near his cradle.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #146 of 562 Old 01-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryEagle44 View Post
I have as much artistic talent as Yoko Ono, but I know great art when I see it.
LOL - I have to use that!

Welcome to F-Life!
post #147 of 562 Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
When I was in high school, I was part of a group of kids interested in foreign sports cars, and the car of our dreams was Ferrari. One day I saw a 250 SWB, and it was love at first sight. Then I saw a 275GTB short nose, and it was orgasm at first sight. Then one day when I was in college I was walking past a car dealership, and I passed by a yellow car. The car winked at me. I stopped and looked at it. What do you know? It was a Ferrari.

I have as much artistic talent as Yoko Ono, but I know great art when I see it. A Ferrari automobile is the perfect blend of great art and ourstanding mechanical engineering.
Welcome to FL Ivory Eagle

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #148 of 562 Old 01-13-2012, 12:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
It was on my fifth birthday in Ireland . I sow a 360 Modena heard the exaust and fell in love with it .
post #149 of 562 Old 01-13-2012, 02:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post

Bryan,..please tell him (Admiral) that he is a crazy man ! BUT, crazy in the best possible sense. A man's action speaks of his character, what he is made of. Your father was and is of such character. He saw something in that pile of junk (pardon my profanity), and not only that, he stuck to his convictions all these years. How many people does one know who possess such will and determination. Nothing but accolades to him.

And let us not forget that you have his blood in you, which makes you a bit crazy too, at least ! w/ smiles Jimmy

Last edited by Italian Lover; 01-13-2012 at 02:40 AM. Reason: spelling correction
post #150 of 562 Old 01-13-2012, 02:47 AM
Owner

Quote:

Welcome to FL, IvoryEagle44. I must say you have outstanding taste and an expensive one too ! w/ smiles Jimmy
post #151 of 562 Old 01-13-2012, 02:49 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawyer View Post
It was on my fifth birthday in Ireland . I sow a 360 Modena heard the exaust and fell in love with it .
Welcome to FL, thelawyer. When I was five, There were no Ferraris anywhere where I lived, but instead I was smitten by a ponytail girl in the same class. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #152 of 562 Old 01-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawyer View Post
Welcome to FL, thelawyer. Tell us more about the 360 you saw. Might have been me

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #153 of 562 Old 01-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
1st Ferrari

1967 ( 16 years old), saw a new Red 275 GTB in downtown Chicago. Fell in love but no $. Life got busy. 2008 time to live some dreams. Bought my 1st Ferrari. 2003 575M. Driven cross country and on several tracks. Won't look back. I smile so much it hurts :-). Always turn for a last look before I close the garage door.

Other Italian exotic (?)- 1993 Cadillac Allante' convertable- pan made in Detroit, flown to Turin for a body designed and built by Pininfarina, flown back to Detroit for finishing. Montana Blue. 1 of 150. Electronically as complicated as the 575.Teaches me to drive slow...

Live your dreams- never give up...
post #154 of 562 Old 01-16-2012, 03:33 PM
dfm

Ferrari Life Posts: 37
What got me into the prancing horse marque was my ride in an F40 when I was 12 years old.

At the time, I had a friend who's dad worked at microsoft. He was in the "upper circle" of people there and knew both bill gates and paul allen on a first name basis. Every year he would host a dinner party at his house for his microsoft friends, and this particular year Paul Allen drove his F40 (which I believe he recently sold) to the occasion. Normally my friend and I were holed up in his room playing with legos or matchbox cars or something of the sort, but I saw the F40 in the driveway, so we went to admire it more closely. Mr. Allen came outside to get something out of the car and saw us there just staring at it and walking around it all wide-eyed and jaw-dropped. It turns out Mr. Allen is a very nice guy and he offered us both a ride (obviously not at the same time). The experience was unlike anything I was capable of imagining. It is one of those memories that was so full of adrenaline that it is difficult to remember the details, but I do remember the sensation of being in that car at WOT. Ever since then I have been a Ferrari fanatic (and have always wanted an F40 over any other car ever produced). My friends call me insane for preferring an F40 to a Veyron. They just dont understand what its like to be in one.

My next step is to drive one, and then purchase one.

someday, someday...

I'm not sick, but I am not well either
post #155 of 562 Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 171
Magnum P.I.

The most beautiful thing on TV and I was there every Thursday night at 8pm hoping that the episode would show more of that stunning red beauty.

I had a poster of the white Testarossa from Miami Vice with that sweet high driver's mirror on my wall, next to my Farrah poster.

We had a local car dealer in town that had a early 80's 512BBi when I was in high school. I thought it was the Magnum Ferrari until I got close to it. I've been interested in them ever since.

I would love to own one someday, but until then I can live vicariously through some of the owners here.

Life's too short to be unhappy!
post #156 of 562 Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOHU View Post
1967 ( 16 years old), saw a new Red 275 GTB in downtown Chicago. Fell in love but no $. Life got busy. 2008 time to live some dreams. Bought my 1st Ferrari. 2003 575M. Driven cross country and on several tracks. Won't look back. I smile so much it hurts :-). Always turn for a last look before I close the garage door.

Other Italian exotic (?)- 1993 Cadillac Allante' convertable- pan made in Detroit, flown to Turin for a body designed and built by Pininfarina, flown back to Detroit for finishing. Montana Blue. 1 of 150. Electronically as complicated as the 575.Teaches me to drive slow...

Live your dreams- never give up...
Woohu-welcome to Flife! Please feel free to share some pics of your cars with us! The guys here crave for them......!
You might also want to tell us more about yourself and your cars in the new members section!

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #157 of 562 Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfm View Post
What got me into the prancing horse marque was my ride in an F40 when I was 12 years old.

At the time, I had a friend who's dad worked at microsoft. He was in the "upper circle" of people there and knew both bill gates and paul allen on a first name basis. Every year he would host a dinner party at his house for his microsoft friends, and this particular year Paul Allen drove his F40 (which I believe he recently sold) to the occasion. Normally my friend and I were holed up in his room playing with legos or matchbox cars or something of the sort, but I saw the F40 in the driveway, so we went to admire it more closely. Mr. Allen came outside to get something out of the car and saw us there just staring at it and walking around it all wide-eyed and jaw-dropped. It turns out Mr. Allen is a very nice guy and he offered us both a ride (obviously not at the same time). The experience was unlike anything I was capable of imagining. It is one of those memories that was so full of adrenaline that it is difficult to remember the details, but I do remember the sensation of being in that car at WOT. Ever since then I have been a Ferrari fanatic (and have always wanted an F40 over any other car ever produced). My friends call me insane for preferring an F40 to a Veyron. They just dont understand what its like to be in one.

My next step is to drive one, and then purchase one.

someday, someday...
DFM-welcome. What a great story! The moment he opened the door for you, you were spoiled for life....persue that dream and don't give up...I'm sure 1 day it will come true!

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #158 of 562 Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Lovely stories all. Keep them coming.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #159 of 562 Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post

Onno
+1.

And welcome WOOHU, DFM and Koolaid

post #160 of 562 Old 01-21-2012, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post

Onno
+1, this is turning into one of the all time great threads.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode