How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 7 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 562 Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp-scott View Post
Thanks for the source on guides Taz, I know I will be needing them. Hopefully liners are not damaged but with compression numbers around 110 on 2 cylinders I am anticipating needing to change them.

I will be having the liners recoated and will probably use Ross pistons if needed. Then again I may end up going with Wiseco. Valves will be changed for Manley's as well as the guides you suggested. Headers will probably be Fabspeed even if they are Chinese. I just can't justify 8000.00 or more for a set of Tubi's. I will be upgrading to the Hill tensioner bearings as well.
Why not order the headers directly from Taiwan at half the price?
Even better why not chat with Gothspeed and see if he can/has a set for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 562 Old 01-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
Why not order the headers directly from Taiwan at half the price?
Even better why not chat with Gothspeed and see if he can/has a set for you?
How does a person order directly from Taiwan? I am assuming it is JIM in Taiwan. Is this correct?
post #123 of 562 Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 190
I got into Ferrari's because swirl marks drove me crazy, so I mastered the art of removing them, which will naturally take you from working on daily drivers to the finer vehicles on the road as your reputation grows. I didn't know one model from the next a decade ago, but regardless you avenue into the Ferrari world you become addicted and develop an illness only maximum knowledge will cure.

post #124 of 562 Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
In 1963 my first Sebring 12 Hour. I'll never forget the "noise" and "glowing brakes" of the Ferraris going into the Hairpin Turn.
That moment was a big part of my life.
In the summer of 1964 thanks to my Grandmother, I purchased a new Berlinetta Lusso. In the almost 50 years since, I've been lucky to have been able to own most of the finest Ferraris made. Lusso, GTB/4, Dino, Daytona, 308, Boxer.
All were new except my current love, a 99 550.
Ferrari added a lot of life to my life.
J Annis, Tampa Fl.
post #125 of 562 Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,839
John- Great to see you here. Do you think your grandmother would adopt me? Mine are both gone, unfortunately.

It is great to have grandparents who love you. I was lucky to have both sets for quite a while.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #126 of 562 Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaticker View Post
In 1963 my first Sebring 12 Hour. I'll never forget the "noise" and "glowing brakes" of the Ferraris going into the Hairpin Turn.
In the summer of 1964 thanks to my Grandmother, I purchased a new Berlinetta Lusso. In the almost 50 years since, I've been lucky to have been able to own most of the finest Ferraris made. Lusso, GTB/4, Dino, Daytona, 308, Boxer.
J Annis, Tampa Fl.

Do you still own any of the early Ferraris?
post #127 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 120
I was a fan of the F badge for a long time, always drove merc,s and was very fond of the AMG.

I had worked my way up the ladder through hard work. and setting aside a little for a rainy day.

some years ago i had a phone call that made me take stock of what was important in life, and spent a very long flight to pick up what i was told was my wifes remains.

I got lucky, in that my wife, held on until i arrived,I then had to spent some time in Tampa,looking after and helping her get well so i could fly her home.

it was while i was sitting outside the hospital on a stunning spring morning i saw my first 360. and i said to myself that no mater what life would put my way i was going to have one.

Now i can look back and say ive had the good fortune to own a 360, 360CS, and now the 16m.
And best of all i have my wife to sit beside me, and to remind me what life is all about.
post #128 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
When I was a student at UVa back in the '60's, I was walking back to the dorm. The area where I was walking was always somewhat congested with vehicles even back then. As I walked I heard the most unusual but wonderful sound being emitted from a passing vehicle. I looked over and noticed the gorgeous beast that was slowly passing by It was a black Daytona. That did it. I was completely hooked.
Attached Images

post #129 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Garage
My story (sorry... its a long one)

I’ve always been a car nut, but never liked the idea of driving the same thing that everyone else drove. American muscle cars and “sports cars” have their own appeal, but they are a common sight. I like the idea of being a bit different, but finally getting into Ferrari took quite a while. Where I grew up you hardly ever saw an “exotic” on the road although I remember Robert Wagner’s TV show “It Takes A Thief” where he drove a Maserati Ghibli. The appeal of a foreign “exotic” started way back then, and the look of Ferrari was usually at the top of my favorite list. According to my dad they weren’t affordable, reliable, or practical. Later, while I was in college, the Magnum P.I. show really showcased the 308 and made the exotic car appeal even stronger. Who didn’t want to be Magnum? As I neared graduation from college (the U.S. Naval Academy, just like Magnum…) and about go out on my own there was no way I could afford a Ferrari and I didn’t have any rich friends with an estate that included an extra Ferrari. So, my first new car was an obscure British sports car (Jensen Healey). It was affordable, but not really practical or too reliable (so maybe dad was right?). I still loved it because hardly anyone else had one! Then my college girlfriend (and first love) gave me a poster showing the slightly silhouetted images of three items: a reclining nude woman, a fine bottle of wine, and a Ferrari 308, with the tiny caption: “Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.” I think that poster really helped me make up my mind. It was simply a matter of making the right decisions! So, after getting dumped by my first love following a submarine deployment, and having consumed more than enough of fine (well, cheap wine actually… I was an Ensign in the Navy after all!), I started saving for my first Ferrari in earnest.

I had always heard my dad talk about the what-ifs and if-onlys of cars he would have liked to have owned, but didn’t due to their impracticality with a family so I told my next love that if we were to get married I wanted to buy a Ferrari BEFORE we had kids. That didn’t scare my new love so I knew she was a keeper and we were married in 1980. A few years later I was transferred from the east coast (an exotic car desert, at least where I lived) to San Diego, California and found myself in exotic car heaven. I had almost daily sightings of all sorts of great cars and found a real selection of used Ferraris within a few miles. In 1986, after a rather short search, I found a fantastic low mileage red/black 1984 308GTSi that became our first “child!” Fortunately, based on earlier good decisions, at least one Ferrari has been in our family ever since; even as real children came along. And, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a bad day, or knew I was going to have a bad day based on the projected workload, so I drove the Ferrari and it made me feel so much better. It wasn’t about power, or tearing around a track, or even the sound of high revs, just the feel and look (okay, maybe the sound of high revs too) of it that made all the difference in the world. I LOVE Ferraris!
post #130 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
My 2006 M5 was approaching end of warranty and I knew that the maintenance/repair costs would be ungodly. I loved the car but knew it wouldn't stoke my passions forever, especially if it started to cost an arm-n-leg to own. So, one day, it occurred to me - hell, if I have to own a car that will likely bankrupt me - it might as well be something that makes my heart skip a beat. That's when I started looking at Ferraris. At first, I was sure I wanted a 360 but after narrowing it down to a black 360 Modena or a Red 355 GTS - the decision got very simple (it had to be the F355).

About a year later, the "red-mist" had filled my head to such a degree that I decided I needed a 2nd Ferrari in the garage. I went looking for a perfect black single-mirror Testarossa and lo-n-behold I found her. I liquidated my entire stock portfolio and pulled a "Sometimes you gotta say What-the-F#ck!"

I've never regretted the decisions to buy a Ferrari - especially ones which have pretty much fully depreciated. I get to enjoy them and maybe make a few bucks one day if I sell them. Heck, I even built a little business around them - so I can now write-off a bunch of the associated expense.

If my money were sitting in a bank or trading account, it would just stress me out. I've come to distrust the financial system so much that I've got half a mind to cash out my 401k and buy an Enzo era collectible. Shhh...don't tell my wife.
post #131 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,839
LA and Stratton- Great stories from both of you and welcome to Ferrari Life. Nice to see we have one more professional killer on the forum, Stratton. I was a 1st Lt when I got my Dino in 1975.

Both of you should go down to Member Intros and say hello. We get good traffic for that section and Andrew can get you signed up as owners.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #132 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaticker View Post
J Annis, Tampa Fl.

Very nice story. I also love the 550 grandparents are the best, but in your case they are even better.
post #133 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by weepee View Post
I was a fan of the F badge for a long time, always drove merc,s and was very fond of the AMG.

I had worked my way up the ladder through hard work. and setting aside a little for a rainy day.

some years ago i had a phone call that made me take stock of what was important in life, and spent a very long flight to pick up what i was told was my wifes remains.

I got lucky, in that my wife, held on until i arrived,I then had to spent some time in Tampa,looking after and helping her get well so i could fly her home.

it was while i was sitting outside the hospital on a stunning spring morning i saw my first 360. and i said to myself that no mater what life would put my way i was going to have one.

Now i can look back and say ive had the good fortune to own a 360, 360CS, and now the 16m.
And best of all i have my wife to sit beside me, and to remind me what life is all about.
What a story Weepee. It is amazing what it takes to put perspective on life sometimes. That must have been a life changing event. Thankfully with a good ending!

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #134 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacoppari View Post
When I was a student at UVa back in the '60's, I was walking back to the dorm. The area where I was walking was always somewhat congested with vehicles even back then. As I walked I heard the most unusual but wonderful sound being emitted from a passing vehicle. I looked over and noticed the gorgeous beast that was slowly passing by It was a black Daytona. That did it. I was completely hooked.
Welcome to Ferrari Life Lacoppari. Sounds like it was love at first sight!

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #135 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RExtc View Post
I’ve always been a car nut, but never liked the idea of driving the same thing that everyone else drove. American muscle cars and “sports cars” have their own appeal, but they are a common sight. I like the idea of being a bit different, but finally getting into Ferrari took quite a while. Where I grew up you hardly ever saw an “exotic” on the road although I remember Robert Wagner’s TV show “It Takes A Thief” where he drove a Maserati Ghibli. The appeal of a foreign “exotic” started way back then, and the look of Ferrari was usually at the top of my favorite list. According to my dad they weren’t affordable, reliable, or practical. Later, while I was in college, the Magnum P.I. show really showcased the 308 and made the exotic car appeal even stronger. Who didn’t want to be Magnum? As I neared graduation from college (the U.S. Naval Academy, just like Magnum…) and about go out on my own there was no way I could afford a Ferrari and I didn’t have any rich friends with an estate that included an extra Ferrari. So, my first new car was an obscure British sports car (Jensen Healey). It was affordable, but not really practical or too reliable (so maybe dad was right?). I still loved it because hardly anyone else had one! Then my college girlfriend (and first love) gave me a poster showing the slightly silhouetted images of three items: a reclining nude woman, a fine bottle of wine, and a Ferrari 308, with the tiny caption: “Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.” I think that poster really helped me make up my mind. It was simply a matter of making the right decisions! So, after getting dumped by my first love following a submarine deployment, and having consumed more than enough of fine (well, cheap wine actually… I was an Ensign in the Navy after all!), I started saving for my first Ferrari in earnest.

I had always heard my dad talk about the what-ifs and if-onlys of cars he would have liked to have owned, but didn’t due to their impracticality with a family so I told my next love that if we were to get married I wanted to buy a Ferrari BEFORE we had kids. That didn’t scare my new love so I knew she was a keeper and we were married in 1980. A few years later I was transferred from the east coast (an exotic car desert, at least where I lived) to San Diego, California and found myself in exotic car heaven. I had almost daily sightings of all sorts of great cars and found a real selection of used Ferraris within a few miles. In 1986, after a rather short search, I found a fantastic low mileage red/black 1984 308GTSi that became our first “child!” Fortunately, based on earlier good decisions, at least one Ferrari has been in our family ever since; even as real children came along. And, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a bad day, or knew I was going to have a bad day based on the projected workload, so I drove the Ferrari and it made me feel so much better. It wasn’t about power, or tearing around a track, or even the sound of high revs, just the feel and look (okay, maybe the sound of high revs too) of it that made all the difference in the world. I LOVE Ferraris!
Welcome to Ferrari Life Stratton. Great intro what F car is in the garage today?

post #136 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Great storie guys. Seems like we all have our own. I wish mine was as romantic as the foretold. Unfortunately, when I look back my own, it may be my midlife crisis unfolding. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #137 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
My dad bought his 1955 500 Mondial in May 1960, about two and a half years before I was born. I have no memory of when he was racing it, since he parked it when I was about 5 years old - he was tired of being lapped by cars like the Lotus 23 and birdcage Maseratis that could eternally out-brake him.

I don't know if this sounds too paradoxical, but my recollection 49 years later is that it was both completely normal and at the same time very special having a car like the Ferrari in the garage. It didn't dawn on me for a long time that not everyone had an old comp Ferrari taking up space in their garage. We raced and restored many other cars in the 70s, 80s and 90s, with the old warrior, 0556(0446)MD, standing guard in the corner, usually covered with at least several bedspreads. The first plastic model I ever built as a kid (about 1968) was a 250LM. We started getting Prancing Horse when I was an infant, but it was a mimeographed bunch of pages stapled together - no pictures back then. As I got older, I knew having an old competition Ferrari was special because the movies Grand Prix and then LeMans came out before I was 10 (I still get pissed off when I watch LeMans. F-ing Porsches . . .).

I finally pulled the trigger on my own Ferrari in 1999 when I got Queen Mother s/n11199. I had fun with that car and took it from being a pretty nice car to a good driver and occassional platinum winner - a tough balance to maintain. I am generally not too sentimental about cars - we have had well over a dozen project sports cars live with us over the decades. I really did not have a hard time parting with it a couple of years ago to move on to the next project ('65 Alfa Giulia SS). Only the 500 Mondial has been the keeper, and in my opinion Dad's 52 years of ownership is now one of the major parts of the car's story along with its class wins at the '55 GP of Venezuela and '56 Sebring 12 Hour.

I never actually rode in this car under its own power until August 2008 when we and David Carte finished the restoration in the nick of time for Pebble Beach. Here is a pic of my parents and I waiting for the start of the Pebble Tour that year.
Attached Images

Last edited by bryanp; 01-10-2012 at 01:32 PM.
post #138 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Owner

Great story
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
My dad bought his 1955 500 Mondial in May 1960, about two and a half years before I was born. I have no memory of when he was racing it, since he parked it when I was about 5 years old - he was tired of being lapped by cars like the Lotus 23 and birdcage Maseratis that could eternally out-brake him.

I don't know if this sounds too paradoxical, but my recollection 49 years later is that it was both completely normal and at the same time very special having a car like the Ferrari in the garage. It didn't dawn on me for a long time that not everyone had an old comp Ferrari taking up space in their garage. We raced and restored many other cars in the 70s, 80s and 90s, with the old warrior, 0556(0446)MD, standing guard in the corner, usually covered with at least several bedspreads. The first plastic model I ever built as a kid (about 1968) was a 250LM. We started getting Prancing Horse when I was an infant, but it was a mimeographed bunch of pages stapled together - no pictures back then. As I got older, I knew having an old competition Ferrari was special because the movies Grand Prix and then LeMans came out before I was 10 (I still get pissed off when I watch LeMans. F-ing Porsches . . .).

I finally pulled the trigger on my own Ferrari in 1999 when I got Queen Mother s/n11999. I had fun with that car and took it from being a pretty nice car to a good driver and occassional platinum winner - a tough balance to maintain. I am generally not too sentimental about cars - we have had well over a dozen project sports cars live with us over the decades. I really did not have a hard time parting with it a couple of years ago to move on to the next project ('65 Alfa Giulia SS). Only the 500 Mondial has been the keeper, and in my opinion Dad's 52 years of ownership is now one of the major parts of the car's story along with its class wins at the '55 GP of Venezuela and '56 Sebring 12 Hour.

I never actually rode in this car under its own power until August 2008 when we and David Carte finished the restoration in the nick of time for Pebble Beach. Here is a pic of my parents and I waiting for the start of the Pebble Tour that year.

post #139 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
How I got into Ferrari

Two things.
Watching Gilles Villeneuve race and seeing a picture of a 308 GTB in a motoring mag in a shop. It was the first motoring magazine I bought, I was still in school, been a fan ever since.
post #140 of 562 Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Brian, absolute platinum story of yours. How many of us out there can boast something even close to that ? Afterall, mine is a humble midlife crisis in continuum. I have nothing but awe and respect to you and your father, the Admiral's stories. Thank You. w/ smiles Jimmy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode