How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 6 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 562 Old 12-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintech View Post
I am content to drive my dream with the wheel on the wrong side rather than dream on.
I hear you but Italy agrees LHD is the way to go. I had a 1993 Nissan Skyline RHD and drove that around the states for a few years. You get used to it and confuses lots of folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 562 Old 12-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
Well, this one is pretty straight forward to me.

Having been brought up with car enthusiasts and racing, brands like Ferrari, Lambo, Aston and Maserati have always been the cars to have one day, if possible.

Porsche and Jaguar were more affordable and my father drove them.

I did not like the fact that Porsches did not have a console, making them sort of look like beefed-up beetles.

As I grew up, I developed a special attraction for V12 engines.

Jags are nice, but not as fast or legendary as Ferraris or any of the other above brands.

So when time came, I got myself the V12 Ferrari I could and wished to have.

Simple.

BTW, Merry Christmas

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #103 of 562 Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by agp22 View Post

BTW, Merry Christmas
Happy New Year.

Great stories, lets keep this thread going.

post #104 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 05:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
In my case just one thing.
Mid life crisis which has now been continuing for the past 16 years....
post #105 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
I'm new to this site and Ferrari ownership but have been lurking for quite some time. My story is not that much different from others that have been posted.

Growing up in the 70's in Las Vegas I had the opportunity to actually see some of the cars of my dreams. The cars I lusted after were the Porsche 930, the Ferrari 308 and at the top was the 512BBi. I saw my first Porsche 930 in the late 70's while visiting in Anaheim CA. I remember seeing it from behind, what a sight with those wide fenders. I knew one day I would own one.

Had much the same experience when looking at my first 308. It was sitting in valet parking at the entrance to Caesars Palace. This beautiful red 308 looked stunning sitting in that setting. My dreams for the following years were of which of these cars I would own. I knew I did not have the financial resources for the 512 so to keep the dream realistic I focused on the 308 and 930.

Fast forward 30 years. Got heavily involved in domestic muscle cars building and modifying. Still love the muscle cars but my dreams of owning a Ferrari never faded like they did for the much more common Porsche. Some life changes put me in a position to actually start thinking about owning one.

I had been watching prices for the 348 and realized they it was within my means to own one. I had moved on from the thought of owning a 308 just because I wanted more power. I really wanted a 355 but it would have been stretching the budget too much for comfort.

There was (and may still be) a yellow 355 GTS for sale at one of the local dealerships. I called them to setup an appointment to test drive the car. Mind you, I had no intention of purchasing this vehicle but just wanted to drive a Ferrari. Kind of crappy I know, but this GTS at 70,000.00 was way over priced for me. They gave me the keys and said I could have the car for 2 hours. That did it. I drove the car up through Red Rock canyon spinning the engine up just so that I could hear that beautiful V8. I spent the full 2 hours ( they actually called when I was a few miles from the dealership asking where I was) in that car. I actually wanted the car but the car had 70,000 miles on it, no sevice records, leaked oil, and just did not look well maintained. I could not work a deal for the car that made sense so I decided to hold off and keep looking.

About 3 weeks later a 1995 F355 black Berlinetta showed up in the cars.com website. The car looked beautiful in the photos. The price was very low due to there being low compression on 2 cylinders. I had spent quite a bit of time on this site as well as the other forums and knew the problems well. Valve guides, headers, and cylinder liners. I bought the car sight unseen and had it shipped out from the east coast to Las Vegas. The car is well documented and very well maintained with all the service records, tools, and manuals. The car is beautiful.

Now the car sits in my garage waiting for me to pull the engine and start the rebuild process. I have not been able to drive the car but just get giddy when I pull the cover and look at it's beautiful lines. I should be getting started in the next month or so and will fully document the build process. This should help others understand what they are getting into when buying a hurt F355.

Well that's my story. I just wanted to introduce myself to the community and thank all of you for the knowledge that I have accumulated from this site.
post #106 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
spp-scott
Great first post and welcome to Ferrari Life. You've been lurking for quite some time! Good to see you've taken the posting plunge .

Congrats on your 355 acquisition. I look forward to following your engine resto thread. Any pics to share with us??

Quote:
Originally Posted by spp-scott View Post
I'm new to this site and Ferrari ownership but have been lurking for quite some time. My story is not that much different from others that have been posted.

Growing up in the 70's in Las Vegas I had the opportunity to actually see some of the cars of my dreams. The cars I lusted after were the Porsche 930, the Ferrari 308 and at the top was the 512BBi. I saw my first Porsche 930 in the late 70's while visiting in Anaheim CA. I remember seeing it from behind, what a sight with those wide fenders. I knew one day I would own one.

Had much the same experience when looking at my first 308. It was sitting in valet parking at the entrance to Caesars Palace. This beautiful red 308 looked stunning sitting in that setting. My dreams for the following years were of which of these cars I would own. I knew I did not have the financial resources for the 512 so to keep the dream realistic I focused on the 308 and 930.

Fast forward 30 years. Got heavily involved in domestic muscle cars building and modifying. Still love the muscle cars but my dreams of owning a Ferrari never faded like they did for the much more common Porsche. Some life changes put me in a position to actually start thinking about owning one.

I had been watching prices for the 348 and realized they it was within my means to own one. I had moved on from the thought of owning a 308 just because I wanted more power. I really wanted a 355 but it would have been stretching the budget too much for comfort.

There was (and may still be) a yellow 355 GTS for sale at one of the local dealerships. I called them to setup an appointment to test drive the car. Mind you, I had no intention of purchasing this vehicle but just wanted to drive a Ferrari. Kind of crappy I know, but this GTS at 70,000.00 was way over priced for me. They gave me the keys and said I could have the car for 2 hours. That did it. I drove the car up through Red Rock canyon spinning the engine up just so that I could hear that beautiful V8. I spent the full 2 hours ( they actually called when I was a few miles from the dealership asking where I was) in that car. I actually wanted the car but the car had 70,000 miles on it, no sevice records, leaked oil, and just did not look well maintained. I could not work a deal for the car that made sense so I decided to hold off and keep looking.

About 3 weeks later a 1995 F355 black Berlinetta showed up in the cars.com website. The car looked beautiful in the photos. The price was very low due to there being low compression on 2 cylinders. I had spent quite a bit of time on this site as well as the other forums and knew the problems well. Valve guides, headers, and cylinder liners. I bought the car sight unseen and had it shipped out from the east coast to Las Vegas. The car is well documented and very well maintained with all the service records, tools, and manuals. The car is beautiful.

Now the car sits in my garage waiting for me to pull the engine and start the rebuild process. I have not been able to drive the car but just get giddy when I pull the cover and look at it's beautiful lines. I should be getting started in the next month or so and will fully document the build process. This should help others understand what they are getting into when buying a hurt F355.

Well that's my story. I just wanted to introduce myself to the community and thank all of you for the knowledge that I have accumulated from this site.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #107 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
More of a full life crisis so Peter. I've been having one since I was about 8. I guess it a pretty common issue here!

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #108 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,847
Scott- Welcome. Great story and happy you got a great deal on a car you can fix. You never can tell, it may just be the valve guides and not the liners. Once the car is ripped apart you will know for sure. If you need a good source for valve guides, these guys come highly recommended. Ferrari just had some substandard batches of guides there for a while. Affected some 456s, too.

If you have not found ferraridatabase.com, you can download all three volumes of the workshop manual plus owners manuals for your car, plus some miscellaneous bits, too.

CHE Precision Inc
2640 Lauery Ct, Suite C
Newbury Park, CA 99320
(805) 499-8885
http://www.cheprecision.com
Valve Guides, Seats

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #109 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Welcome Scott: Good first post

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #110 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Quote:
To me that's the best reason/story. Period!

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #111 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Owner

Welcome Scott and good luck with the resto! Enjoy the forum, it's a great bunch of people with a wealth of knowledge! Would love to see some pics...

Jeroen

Italian bella's:

post #112 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Well Peter, if it makes you feel any better, mine may be waaaay longer than yours and I have no idea what lies ahead.

I am not much of a believer myself, but my wife tells me that the past three years been the pits for me based on the Chinese (Asian) calendar, whatever, w/ smiles Jimmy
post #113 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
spp-scott
Great first post and welcome to Ferrari Life. You've been lurking for quite some time! Good to see you've taken the posting plunge .

Congrats on your 355 acquisition. I look forward to following your engine resto thread. Any pics to share with us??
+1. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #114 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Owner

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I anticipate needing to lean on this forum for tech info as I progress. Being new to these cars there is quite a bit of learning to do! Should be a fun build, I am really looking forward to it. Here are a couple pics from the previous owner. I have not had an opportunity to take any of my own pics but the car has not changed since these were shot.

One more thing, it's pretty cool owning my own Ferrari!
Attached Images

post #115 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I anticipate needing to lean on this forum for tech info as I progress. Being new to these cars there is quite a bit of learning to do! Should be a fun build, I am really looking forward to it. Here are a couple pics from the previous owner. I have not had an opportunity to take any of my own pics but the car has not changed since these were shot.

Great looking car and very nice color combo! Looks almost new...good catch!!
What are you still doing here, rip out that engine and get that beauty on the road ASAP! And yes, we all know that feeling of cool.....

Jeroen

Italian bella's:

post #116 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Owner

Thanks for the source on guides Taz, I know I will be needing them. Hopefully liners are not damaged but with compression numbers around 110 on 2 cylinders I am anticipating needing to change them.

I will be having the liners recoated and will probably use Ross pistons if needed. Then again I may end up going with Wiseco. Valves will be changed for Manley's as well as the guides you suggested. Headers will probably be Fabspeed even if they are Chinese. I just can't justify 8000.00 or more for a set of Tubi's. I will be upgrading to the Hill tensioner bearings as well.
post #117 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
Great looking car and very nice color combo! Looks almost new...good catch!!
What are you still doing here, rip out that engine and get that beauty on the road ASAP! And yes, we all know that feeling of cool.....
+1! Great colour combo for a 355. Perfect colour for light reflection on the LV strip . Hope she's back on the road soon.

post #118 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
Well, I grew up always wanting a mid year corvette (mid 60's). When I retired I purchased several models through the years, until I tired of them. I moved on to mopars, owned a '70 440 cuda etc.

One day I was looking through the ads on Ebay and found a 348. It was absolutely beautiful in my eyes. I did ALL the wrong things and purchased it site unseen, no inspection etc. In the end, I wound up pulling the motor with the assistance of some here, and did the maintenance. It was the FIRST motor I had ever taken out of a car. I enjoyed the experience immensely. I now own a 2000 360. What an amazing piece of machinery......
post #119 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,847
Scott- Your F355 is beautiful. I can see why you sneak looks at her all the time. I usually say good night to my red girlfriend every night before I go to bed.

Figured you already knew about Manley valves, which are what most of the pros use. Once you get her running, make sure and video it for us so we can drool over F355 engine music.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #120 of 562 Old 01-04-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:

You might want to connect with "gothspeed" . He is very knowledgable when it comes to F355s.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode