How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 5 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jimmy- Looks good and is reversible. I have also seen Dinos where a hole was drilled through the glass and the latch was attached through the hole with a circular chrome piece on the outside. That one does not stop the stress on the window Brian mentioned and is obviously not reversible.
Yes, Terry, ...I am familiar with that approach you mentioned.

Funny thing about this off/on/off again phenomenum is that after a while, one reaches a level to say..."oh well, let it be!" That was my conclusion for my Dino and one latch is untouchable and the other is resting in peace, literally out of commission. w/ smiles Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 562 Old 12-17-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Terry, sounds like your Daytona had a bette A/C than mine because my Daytona, to borrow your analogy, is like a mouse farting, period.
You are both very lucky, I could even get the mouse in my old Daytona to fart.
post #83 of 562 Old 12-17-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
There are much faster, better suited and less costly to operate track cars. And that is not even taking into consideration the occasional discovery of somone having moved the armco since the last time past.

Very true. I was up at Silverstone with Mosler a few months ago and there were a few Ferrari 458 Challenge and 430 Challenges out on the track. The Moslers made them look very ordinary. Cost to run the Mosler for the day was probably 1/4 what the Ferrari cost.

post #84 of 562 Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
You are both very lucky, I could even get the mouse in my old Daytona to fart.
Well....Boxer, you can have a peace of mind now because it is out of your hand. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #85 of 562 Old 12-19-2011, 04:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
My passion grew over years.
My Dad says it all started when I was 4. Watching a motor race on our black and white TV. I singled out this particular car screaming round and could see a black (over grey) horse on its grey side flanks. I was hooked. Years ensued of books, magazines and posters finding out as much as I could and everywhere I went I bought Ferrari toys/models with my mowing the garden/washing Dads car pocket money.

I only ever seen a couple of Ferrari's in the flesh (it was 1970's Northern Ireland after all).

Then for my 17th birthday my Dad arranged with a well known race driver here, Tommy Reed, to take me for a drive in his Dino 246 GTS, "the very car below" that I was fortunate to meet up with again in 2010.

That drive completely solidified my passion for Ferrari and my Dad became an even bigger hero to me, something I didn't think possible, it was so so special to me.

It would be 1999 before I actually got to own a Ferrari. Owned by an absolute Gentleman, Mr Vincent Pumo of Eurospares in the UK. I was talking to him and his son James (another gentelman) about parts for a Mondial as I was of the opinion the only way I was ever going to own one was by restoring one. I can only think that Vincent felt my passion because he offered me his Mondial for an unbelievable price, which I still couldn't afford as I was about to get married. My about to be Wife sat me down and simply said, "lets speak to the bank and go get it. if you don't do it now you never will". It simply would never have happened if it wasn't for her.

We got the night train from Glasgow to Halstead with me not sleeping a wink because my heart was beating so loudly. We were lifted at the station in Halstead and I don't remember any of the journey to Eurospares, my mind was gone by that stage.

I opened the little red framed door into Eurospares, a little bell tingled and announced our arrival, I vagely remember walking past a black car. Vincent greeted my Wife and I with open arms, giving us both the biggest hug of Italian welcome. He pointed at the black car I'd just walked past and said "well what do you think"? I don't mind admitting this, tears started running down my face. 31 years I'd been dreaming about that moment and now it was here. When I looked round My Wife and Vincent were in tears looking at me.
(Vincent and James made me feel very very special that day and its something I'll never forget).

I went to my wedding in that car.

My family comes first but I feel extremely privilaged to say I own a Ferrari.

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
post #86 of 562 Old 12-19-2011, 06:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranellohouse View Post
My Dad says it all started when I was 4. Watching a motor race on our black and white TV. I singled out this particular car screaming round and could see a black (over grey) horse on its grey side flanks. I was hooked. Years ensued of books, magazines and posters finding out as much as I could and everywhere I went I bought Ferrari toys/models with my mowing the garden/washing Dads car pocket money.

I only ever seen a couple of Ferrari's in the flesh (it was 1970's Northern Ireland after all).

Then for my 17th birthday my Dad arranged with a well known race driver here, Tommy Reed, to take me for a drive in his Dino 246 GTS, "the very car below" that I was fortunate to meet up with again in 2010.

That drive completely solidified my passion for Ferrari and my Dad became an even bigger hero to me, something I didn't think possible, it was so so special to me.

It would be 1999 before I actually got to own a Ferrari. Owned by an absolute Gentleman, Mr Vincent Pumo of Eurospares in the UK. I was talking to him and his son James (another gentelman) about parts for a Mondial as I was of the opinion the only way I was ever going to own one was by restoring one. I can only think that Vincent felt my passion because he offered me his Mondial for an unbelievable price, which I still couldn't afford as I was about to get married. My about to be Wife sat me down and simply said, "lets speak to the bank and go get it. if you don't do it now you never will". It simply would never have happened if it wasn't for her.

We got the night train from Glasgow to Halstead with me not sleeping a wink because my heart was beating so loudly. We were lifted at the station in Halstead and I don't remember any of the journey to Eurospares, my mind was gone by that stage.

I opened the little red framed door into Eurospares, a little bell tingled and announced our arrival, I vagely remember walking past a black car. Vincent greeted my Wife and I with open arms, giving us both the biggest hug of Italian welcome. He pointed at the black car I'd just walked past and said "well what do you think"? I don't mind admitting this, tears started running down my face. 31 years I'd been dreaming about that moment and now it was here. When I looked round My Wife and Vincent were in tears looking at me.
(Vincent and James made me feel very very special that day and its something I'll never forget).

I can only think of 1 word in response to this amazing and wonderful story Maranellohouse: WOW!

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #87 of 562 Old 12-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
MH- Great story. I have not been able to afford any of my Ferraris, either, but that did not stop me. The one I have now was because Jan said "Well, I think it is about time you got another Ferrari." Took me less than a week to find one and make the deal. She is still mad at me for trading the Dino for a Daytona 33 years ago. That was her favorite.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #88 of 562 Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Stu
Great story. And I've been privilaged to hear some of it first hand and at your kitchen table!

If ever you want to see a Ferrari nut. Take a visit to Maranello House...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranellohouse View Post

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #89 of 562 Old 12-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
PS - Maranello House - whats the update on the 308 and TR????

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #90 of 562 Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Owner

Great, great story Stu !!! That means I almost felt the same way living your story. You are a lucky man to be surrounded by so many people with heart. Thank you for sharing. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #91 of 562 Old 12-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
Posted in June/11

The seed planted : 1972, Christchurch NZ, PDL Industries. 2nd Yr Apprentice Toolmaker. The Owner of the company, Bob Stewart(later Knighted Sir Robertson Stewart for contributions to NZ Industry)had 2 Ferraris in his extensive car collection- a GTB4 Berlinetta which I never saw(allegedly the only RHD example in the world according those documenting his life) and a 365GTB/4 Daytona, Blue Metallic body and cream leather interior. I was smitten by the Daytona, the look the sound the lines. Bob Stewart always held that his job “was to get ordinary people to do extraordinary things” and used his life as an example.

1st Drive : Hawaii ’88 ordinary folks could hire a Ferrari for the day a 308GTS or a 328GTS, $550USD for 24 hrs. We hired them and drove them for 24hrs, a million pics taken, Magnum PI t shirts bought and totally committed to owning a Ferrari ‘when’&’if’ everything else unattainable is achieved!!

Twenty something yrs later discovered life had slipped by and revisited the now pipe dream of owning a Ferrari and reignited the desire of the obsession for a Testarossa , this time never gave it up through thick and thin, knowing it would happen and not focusing on the present. Bearing in mind, starting from scratch again financially as a wage earner, in a country where a TR starting price is $100K+ doesn’t lend itself to guaranteed success.

In May this yr I came across a couple of cars on the net in the States (had been following the valuations of UK & USA cars for 2 yrs) decided that less time ahead of me than behind and, the AUD was above parity with the USD, joined this forum, asked questions and took the plunge…There was a compromise I had to make in my decision:- a LHD car imported on budget or a local/UK imported RHD car which would be way out of budget. I am content to drive my dream with the wheel on the wrong side rather than dream on. The car arrived July in Perth from Canada and months later I am still coming to terms with it all. The privilege of being in the position where giving others the opportunity of sitting, riding and in some cases driving a Ferrari where they(like me) would normally have just dreamed or drooled from a distance...THAT is a double rush for me...sort of like a legacy thing from my early days, and as well maybe a seed or 2 may have been planted!
Ordinary people can do extraordinary things, for an extraordinary car.

Pete
post #92 of 562 Old 12-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Pete- Way to hang in there. Sounds like the import rules in NZ are fairly liberal. I drove a LHD 308 GTS and a Corvette during two tours in the UK. You get used to it fairly quickly. Helps you get closer to the edge of the road on those narrow lanes while driving a very wide car.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #93 of 562 Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Owner

Wintech, great story there ! Looks like you are still up in clouds and have not come down yet in terms of your emotions ? w/ smiles Jimmy
post #94 of 562 Old 12-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
I can only think of 1 word in response to this amazing and wonderful story Maranellohouse: WOW!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
MH- Great story. I have not been able to afford any of my Ferraris, either, but that did not stop me. The one I have now was because Jan said "Well, I think it is about time you got another Ferrari." Took me less than a week to find one and make the deal. She is still mad at me for trading the Dino for a Daytona 33 years ago. That was her favorite.
Thank you. Needless to say I have a real soft spot for Dino's and I can understand why Jan didn't want you to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Great, great story Stu !!! That means I almost felt the same way living your story. You are a lucky man to be surrounded by so many people with heart. Thank you for sharing. w/ smiles Jimmy
Jimmy as always your a gentleman, you've made me Sir but In a nice way. As I was typing I was surprised at how strongly the feelings came flooding back. I'm just a big softy these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
PS - Maranello House - whats the update on the 308 and TR????
Barry as you say, you've seen it first hand when I hardly shut up about the things when you were here so very kind of you to say those things. I'm still tryng to figure out how I can hang on to the 308 and aquire the TR so I keep putting off working on it. But come the start of the new year I am starting in as I'll have some of the other stuff well on the way.

www.maranellohouse.com
post #95 of 562 Old 12-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #96 of 562 Old 12-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,301
Stu, that was poetry, sheer poetry. Thanks for that.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #97 of 562 Old 12-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Stu, it will be hard to top your story.

We are all very lucky. I never dreamed as a kid in 1967 looking at the pictures of a 275 GTB4 in Road and Track that I would ever drive one much less spend 30+ years working on them and have 2 at home in the garage.

Your signature line really says it all.
post #98 of 562 Old 12-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Stu, it will be hard to top your story.

We are all very lucky. I never dreamed as a kid in 1967 looking at the pictures of a 275 GTB4 in Road and Track that I would ever drive one much less spend 30+ years working on them and have 2 at home in the garage.

Your signature line really says it all.
Very kind of you to say that, thank you. You must have some fantastic stories to tell through your journey of working on them. We should maybe start a thread for people Ferrari stories. I would love to hear some of them.

It is great to see how all our different paths from all corners of the world have brought us to the same place.

www.maranellohouse.com
post #99 of 562 Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

The stories in this thread are simply outstanding.

Please keep them coming.
post #100 of 562 Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
Wow is right! Great story and a Mondial coupe in black is VERY handsome.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode