How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 4 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 562 Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
I bought a subscription to Road & Track in 1962 and the Bonds were big Ferrari fans. My father was a car freak and owned a 1961 Corvette when we lived in Palos Verdes, CA from 1961-65. We would spend weekends haunting the LA dealers and Shelby American factory on Aviation Boulevard. We actually leaned towards 300SL Gullwings at the time. I remember the first Ferrari I actually saw in around 1962. Looking back I realize it was a turquoise LWB California or early Pininfarina spider. I remember thinking the wire wheels were really wide, so it was probably a California. Most cars had 5" wide wheels back then, and some were even narrower. My brother loved GTOs and my favorite was the 250 LM and we each built a 1/25 plastic model of our favorite. We listened to Wide World of Sports for LeMans and select Grand Prix races. That was all there was until I got a subscription to Competition Press.

I went through a long sequence of Porsches and Corvettes, 1957 356A, 1961, 1963 (FI), 1967 (427) Corvettes, 1969 911E and 911S before deciding I had to have a Ferrari. Loved the Daytona, but could not swing one as a Lt in the AF, so bought a Dino 246 GT in 75. Traded for a Daytona in 78 when they were just used cars. Had a 308 GTS while stationed in the UK flying F-111Fs. More Corvettes for 20 years, 1987, 92, 01, 02, 03, 06, 08, the last five being Z06s. Retired in 2007 to consult and figured it was time to get a Ferrari again.

I was offered all kinds of TdFs, 250s, 275s, 330s, an LMB bodied 250, etc back then, but being young wanted the new stuff. Time travel would be wonderful.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 562 Old 12-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
This is a great thread.

Good story Terry. And time travel would be wonderful, I agree.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #63 of 562 Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 AM
 
rmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Ferrari Life Posts: 48
When I was young, my uncle bought a Ferrari. I simply remember sitting at my grandparents house looking out the front window as he pulled up in it. The exhaust practically rattled the windows (at least in my mind, it did!). I had never seen such a beautiful machine, aside in the model car replicas that were all over my bedroom.

A few days later he took it to a car show at Lime Rock park in Connecticut, and I got to ride in it on the way there. The funny thing was that at that age I had no comprehension as to the history, value, and respect these vehicles commanded. I simply sat there in the passenger seat atop 3 phone books (so I could see over the dashboard) and soaked in the adrenaline rush created by that fabulous prancing horse.

And now I'm simply waiting for enough cash and the right one to wander into my life


"Your car goes where your eyes go."
rmckee is offline  
 
post #64 of 562 Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
Ryan- You will get there. Ferraris are available in just about all price ranges right now, from $20K (likely a might rough) to $20M+.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #65 of 562 Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Owner
 
Saint Bastage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Essex Connecticut
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmckee View Post
A few days later he took it to a car show at Lime Rock park in Connecticut, and I got to ride in it on the way there.
Approximately when... I spent a lot of time at Limerock in my youth 1975 - 1981 and then from 1990 to present. Perhaps we shared some tarmac.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
Saint Bastage is offline  
post #66 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Owner
 
anxpert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oceanside, CA
Ferrari Life Posts: 51
Due to my father's work, our family lived a semi-nomad lifestyle between Mexico and the USA, we lived in Toluca, a city located 50 miles NW from Mexico City.

In the mid seventies, the two lane road from Mexico City to Toluca passed through the a small community " Cuajimalpa " and a home with a variety of Porsches and Ferraris.

Such home was owned by the Rodriguez family ...... as in Pedro and Ricardo Rodriguez.

At the age of 15, all one can do is dream,fantasize and hope that a magical day may come, when those brand of cars you saw owned and driven by others could possibly be yours.

So, the Rodriguez / Mexican connection did it for me !
anxpert is offline  
post #67 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
I bought a subscription to Road & Track in 1962 and the Bonds were big Ferrari fans. My father was a car freak and owned a 1961 Corvette when we lived in Palos Verdes, CA from 1961-65. We would spend weekends haunting the LA dealers and Shelby American factory on Aviation Boulevard. We actually leaned towards 300SL Gullwings at the time. I remember the first Ferrari I actually saw in around 1962. Looking back I realize it was a turquoise LWB California or early Pininfarina spider. I remember thinking the wire wheels were really wide, so it was probably a California. Most cars had 5" wide wheels back then, and some were even narrower. My brother loved GTOs and my favorite was the 250 LM and we each built a 1/25 plastic model of our favorite. We listened to Wide World of Sports for LeMans and select Grand Prix races. That was all there was until I got a subscription to Competition Press.

I went through a long sequence of Porsches and Corvettes, 1957 356A, 1961, 1963 (FI), 1967 (427) Corvettes, 1969 911E and 911S before deciding I had to have a Ferrari. Loved the Daytona, but could not swing one as a Lt in the AF, so bought a Dino 246 GT in 75. Traded for a Daytona in 78 when they were just used cars. Had a 308 GTS while stationed in the UK flying F-111Fs. More Corvettes for 20 years, 1987, 92, 01, 02, 03, 06, 08, the last five being Z06s. Retired in 2007 to consult and figured it was time to get a Ferrari again.

I was offered all kinds of TdFs, 250s, 275s, 330s, an LMB bodied 250, etc back then, but being young wanted the new stuff. Time travel would be wonderful.
Terry, which one of the ones you actually owned back then would you choose to have again from a pure driving fun point of view ?
212Export is offline  
post #68 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
212- The Dino or Daytona, but to be really honest, the 575M does everything either of them did better and, with the factory HGTC exhaust, sounds as good. My 308 GTS had the factory 285 hp engine, quad exhaust, etc, so was really quick, but shifted really stiffly because we did not have the good transaxle lubes we now have. I did like the Dino and 308 steering, but there is not much difference from the ZF unit on my 575M.

I think the Dino rode better and handled mid-corner bumps better, but then I have the heavy duty suspension and wide (9"/12.5") wheels and tires, which stiffen the ride.

30 years of progress counts for quite a bit.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #69 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 212
almost any current car drives much better than the "hot" cars of the past. I like the current state of handling. It has come a long way from what we then thought was great. My guess would be that the larger delta's of change of the past 50 years are gone. Handling should continue to improve, but the incremental steps will be smaller as we go forward.

During a recent track day I had a chance to take a few laps in the new Sprint Cup ( COT that the NASCAR team sold to make room for improved version ) car set up for road courses. It was amazing... 800+ hp, fantastic handling equal to any and the best part... at a fraction of the cost of a current Ferrari... just add gas and tires... ready, set, grin...
If one is really into track days, this is the way to go for fun on the track
fromage is offline  
post #70 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromage View Post
almost any current car drives much better than the "hot" cars of the past. I like the current state of handling. It has come a long way from what we then thought was great. My guess would be that the larger delta's of change of the past 50 years are gone. Handling should continue to improve, but the incremental steps will be smaller as we go forward.

During a recent track day I had a chance to take a few laps in the new Sprint Cup ( COT that the NASCAR team sold to make room for improved version ) car set up for road courses. It was amazing... 800+ hp, fantastic handling equal to any and the best part... at a fraction of the cost of a current Ferrari... just add gas and tires... ready, set, grin...
If one is really into track days, this is the way to go for fun on the track
I can relate to what you are saying but when you need the Ferrari grin on your face only a Ferrari can swing it.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #71 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromage View Post
almost any current car drives much better than the "hot" cars of the past. I like the current state of handling. It has come a long way from what we then thought was great. My guess would be that the larger delta's of change of the past 50 years are gone. Handling should continue to improve, but the incremental steps will be smaller as we go forward.

During a recent track day I had a chance to take a few laps in the new Sprint Cup ( COT that the NASCAR team sold to make room for improved version ) car set up for road courses. It was amazing... 800+ hp, fantastic handling equal to any and the best part... at a fraction of the cost of a current Ferrari... just add gas and tires... ready, set, grin...
If one is really into track days, this is the way to go for fun on the track


Agree totally.

I really like Ferrari's, they are great ROAD cars. I really do not understand having one as a track car. There are much faster, better suited and less costly to operate track cars. And that is not even taking into consideration the occasional discovery of somone having moved the armco since the last time past.
Brian is offline  
post #72 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
Thinking about it, my old Daytona was built in Dec 1970 and the Dino in Dec 1971, so it has been 40+ years for the pair. Quite a while and both are still great road cars, especially with the updated XWXs.

Except for the difference in price, though, I would rather have my 575M and it makes a much better daily driver. My Dino and Daytona were also daily drivers. No air conditioning on my Dino, and it was inop in the Daytona while I had it. Even with A/C back then, I think someone said it was like a mouse farting over a bowl of ice cubes. I need a good A/C system where I live.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #73 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Thinking about it, my old Daytona was built in Dec 1970 and the Dino in Dec 1971, so it has been 40+ years for the pair. Quite a while and both are still great road cars, especially with the updated XWXs.

Except for the difference in price, though, I would rather have my 575M and it makes a much better daily driver. My Dino and Daytona were also daily drivers. No air conditioning on my Dino, and it was inop in the Daytona while I had it. Even with A/C back then, I think someone said it was like a mouse farting over a bowl of ice cubes. I need a good A/C system where I live.
Terry, sounds like your Daytona had a bette A/C than mine because my Daytona, to borrow your analogy, is like a mouse farting, period. Never bothered to do anything about this since I acquired my Daytona. w/ smiles Jimmy
Italian Lover is online now  
post #74 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
Jimmy- I believe you. Unless you do some mods like Steve did on his 330 GTC, the systems were pretty worthless. At least they had vent windows, which help a bunch, even if the handles are usually broken off. Nobody makes a glue that strong.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #75 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
At least they had vent windows, which help a bunch, even if the handles are usually broken off. Nobody makes a glue that strong.



Oh they did.

It just broke the glass.


Hand built coach work, the vent windows just didn't fit well don't you know.
Brian is offline  
post #76 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
Brian- Out of the four vent handles on the Dino and Daytona, one was still attached. All of the vent windows were a jam fit, and that was when they were relatively new.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #77 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jimmy- I believe you. Unless you do some mods like Steve did on his 330 GTC, the systems were pretty worthless. At least they had vent windows, which help a bunch, even if the handles are usually broken off. Nobody makes a glue that strong.
Totally agree, Terry. In my Dino, the passenger side vent latch is off and sitting in the glove shelf.

Since you mentioned latch, now I have to "bragg" about my Daytona. Seems like the previous owner got tired of the aformentioned challenge, the solution was to fabricate a metal base to attach the latches. This is one way of overcoming the nuisance. w/ smiles Jimmy
Attached Images
         
Italian Lover is online now  
post #78 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Totally agree, Terry. In my Dino, the passenger side vent latch is off and sitting in the glove shelf.

Since you mentioned latch, now I have to "bragg" about my Daytona. Seems like the previous owner got tired of the aformentioned challenge, the solution was to fabricate a metal base to attach the latches. This is one way of overcoming the nuisance. w/ smiles Jimmy



I have seen that on other Daytonas.

Good fix.
Brian is offline  
post #79 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I have seen that on other Daytonas.

Good fix.
Thanx, Brian. It is not my doing, but I thank the previous owner. Otherwise, I would be disturbed like many other Daytona owners.
w/ smiles Jimmy
Italian Lover is online now  
post #80 of 562 Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
Jimmy- Looks good and is reversible. I have also seen Dinos where a hole was drilled through the glass and the latch was attached through the hole with a circular chrome piece on the outside. That one does not stop the stress on the window Brian mentioned and is obviously not reversible.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale