How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 3 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
1969 GTO 400 cu in muscle car (Pontiac, not Ferrari GTO, unfortunately).

No unfortunately about it. In some ways Michigan > Maranello .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 562 Old 11-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
In 1984 on my honeymoon in Hawaii, I rented a 308gtsi. It was expensive ($300 for 8 hours) at that time, but, I thought, you only live once. My (now ex) wife wanted to lay on the beach all day, so I obliged her by dropping her off at a beach at 10"30am and drove the car ALL day, finally picking up a furious woman at 4:30. What a thrill and said to myself that I'm going to own a Ferrari someday.

Although dissappointed at the lack of power in the gtsi, it was still a lot of fun, especially on hwy H1, hitting the 100+ mark.
post #43 of 562 Old 11-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
Magnum PI... The 308, 328 were and still are stunning. The Testarossa was god like and new I had to have a Ferrari one day.

post #44 of 562 Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivee View Post
In 1984 on my honeymoon in Hawaii, I rented a 308gtsi. It was expensive ($300 for 8 hours) at that time, but, I thought, you only live once. My (now ex) wife wanted to lay on the beach all day, so I obliged her by dropping her off at a beach at 10"30am and drove the car ALL day, finally picking up a furious woman at 4:30. What a thrill and said to myself that I'm going to own a Ferrari someday.

Although dissappointed at the lack of power in the gtsi, it was still a lot of fun, especially on hwy H1, hitting the 100+ mark.
Did you ever get a 308?
post #45 of 562 Old 11-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:

Did you ever get the furious woman !!! w/ smiles Jimmy
post #46 of 562 Old 11-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 212
I opened the door of my Ferrari and got in just like any other car. :=)

I haven't been without a Ferrari since.
post #47 of 562 Old 11-24-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromage View Post
I opened the door of my Ferrari and got in just like any other car. :=)

I haven't been without a Ferrari since.

Yes, but what made you interested in acquiring that door to open?
post #48 of 562 Old 11-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Yes, but what made you interested in acquiring that door to open?
liked cars, was aware of the uniqueness of the brand, liked the power of 12 cylinders, wanted a convertible, had friends with 250 SWB, California, 275 GTB4, 330...etc one day drove friend to pick his up from service, they had a 330 GTS (preowned) there, took it for a ride, wrote a check for $5000 and drove it home. No magic, no long period of "lust", just out of school and military, have never been without a a couple of Ferrari since. As I mentioned, basically I opened the door, got in, been driving Ferrari since then.
post #49 of 562 Old 11-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
I started to love italian cars when my oncle went into Alfa's. That was when I was 5 years old in '66. We met at my grandparents house and I washed his car in exchange for being driven around the block afterwards. He had mainly Giulietta's and GTV's. My mother had a Vespa in the late 50's but sold it later. She probably inheritaged the italian engine blood to me, definitively not my father which was "too" rational, which was o.k. on other things. (My parents always had to count every cents not being able to finance anything out of normal. I was raised in a way that everything I wanted, I had to save for it by myself, even as a boy, never received a dime, which I'm very thankful for.)
Also in the neighborhood was a well known private gentleman racer and when walking into town with my mother at hand we passed the place he lived and there was always a Ferrari out there. I remember not wanting to take the public transportation bus home to be able to cross by feet the street to go and flaten my nose on the side window of this genmtlemans Ferraris. In alteration he owned a 250 SWB, 275 GTB, 330 GTC and a queen mary, as much as I remember. Marcel Massini, the F-historian told me just a couple of years ago that this guy died in private racing in the late 60's.
Then in '69 I met Joe Siffert, the Swiss F1 racing driver on a car show and after that I wanted to watch every F1 race showed on TV (the first TV we owned was bought because of the first Apollo landing in '69). Unfortunately Joe Siffert did not drive for Ferrari (he drove a Yardley B.R.M) but soon after Clay Regazzoni, the other Swiss F1 driver was contracted by Ferrari and my mind was in heaven. At that time Jacky Ichx the belgian driver was with Ferrari too (my mother liked Ichx better, probably because of his looks at 20' that time ;-). After watching the F1 races on TV, I went into my little hand made Go kart to drive around the house to have the "feeling" of the drivers. My go cart had no engine, I need to push my legs to enable it to roll..it was great fun. While I raced around the block my mother came down with tears in her eyes and told me that Jochen Rindt died in Monza qualifying 1970. I remember that day like yesterday. One year later, a little after my 10th birthday, my idol Joe Siffert died in Brands Hatch. It was a time when almost every month a racing driver died. Sad.
But back to Ferrari. In the meantime my oncle went over the Alfa time and bought his first Ferrari, a new Mondial 8 in light green (!). I was fascinated. When i was 20, all my colleagues bought their first cars, but not me. Went abroad and into the army on several different occasions and had no money but lots of fantasies. Then I started to work consistently and after 2 years I was able to invest ALL of my savings into my first car, a Porsche 911 SC. At that time the 328 just came out but that was at least 2 leagues to high for my means so I decided for something serious and reliable since ALL money was involved. 2 years later I sold the Porsche to finance the start up of my business in '88. A little later I passed a car carrier with a F40 on its deck...unbelievable...a F40. At the time they traded around 1-2 Mio.'s. Just to be able to have a glimpse on it for 5 seconds created that wish again to own a Ferrari. Any Ferrari but of course never a F40 as someone must be crazy to own such a precious unpayable and unreachable car.....But it took me from there another 10 years of hard work and other importances until finally I bought a brand new 550 Maranello in grigio titanium and beige leather. It was actually my wife who pushed me to the decision (knowing my "skewness" toward "F's") after our first daughter was born. She said: you should give yourself a gift for a job so well done (our daughter that is).....;-). Soon after I bought a 250 GTE 2+2 which my wife says is still the most beautiful Ferrari we ever owned.......
post #50 of 562 Old 11-28-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Great story. Looks like most of us started early.
post #51 of 562 Old 12-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Great stories here, very nice topic, Boxer!

I can't remember exactly when I became a Ferrari fan, as I've always liked sports cars and have always known that Ferrari is the ultimate benchmark.

But I do remember one day when my father gave me a set of 5 Ferrari toy cars (really small, like Hot Wheels size). I don't remember the models in that set, but I do remember that a Boxer was among them.

Then in 1994 my passion for cars and races increased after Senna died in San Marino. That had a major impact on me. Associated with the passion for sports cars, the passion for Ferrari also grew on me.

When the F355 was launched the passion grew another bit. With internet available, I was able to find other tifosi like you guys and that helped keep the love for Ferrari alive.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #52 of 562 Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
Great stories here, very nice topic, Boxer!
Thanks. So far it is one of my favorite threads of 2011.

A lot of great stories.
post #53 of 562 Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Did you ever get a 308?
Yes. A 1978 308GTS. Just sold it a couple of years ago and kept the 348. Current wife wasn't exactly thrilled (she drove it exclusively) but she didn't have to work on it either!!

Wouldn't mind getting another 308 some day

John
post #54 of 562 Old 12-06-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Yes. A 1978 308GTS. Just sold it a couple of years ago and kept the 348. Current wife wasn't exactly thrilled (she drove it exclusively) but she didn't have to work on it either!!

Wouldn't mind getting another 308 some day

John
That makes two of us.
post #55 of 562 Old 12-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Owner

My wife and I own an enclosed auto transport company and I get to drive many different cars and talk to alot of owners with different points of view on cars, one of my customers kept saying to me that I "needed one of these" telling me how amazing Ferraris are, up until then all I had ever had was an old '77 corvette that I bought in '88 ( and still have) those words stayed with me and every time I transported one I thought maybe he's right, I need one of these then at a Cars and coffee event in Phoenix I meet a friend who had a 348 and was willing to talk to me about his car, I was hooked and knew I needed one, soon after buying a nice 348 spider that I've had for three years now.
post #56 of 562 Old 12-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Great story Brian.

What came to my mind is the Ferris Buehher of auto transport...unloading the truck and taking the long way around the block
post #57 of 562 Old 12-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
Was driving an Evosport tuned BMW e63 M6 Interlagos Blue for 3 years. Was completely burnt by the shitload of electronics nannying the car, sensors failing here and there every other month killing the fun for me at track days. So I bit the bullet and sold the M6 at a loss. I started looking around for something "different". Never did I ever imagine myself owning a supercar till I set my eyes on this particular Rosso Scuderia F430 coupe, stock standard with tan seats and interior. I fired her up...exhaust note at cold start wasn't the most inspiring but one drive later and a couple of tunnel runs, I was completely sold. It had minimal electronics, exactly what I wanted. It felt raw, but definitely more refined than the 360 I tried before that. And the Gallardo, R8 V10 and DB9 that I test drove, nothing comes close to the 430. The rest were just plain uninspiring.

Sent the 430 for PPI and within just 2 weeks of dreaming about this car, it was delivered to my door step all squeaky clean. I was shocked to be honest that from the point I realised a Ferrari was a possibility, it took only two weeks for the poison to kick in and take effect. This has got to be the quickest car purchase decision I've ever made. I remembered deliberating for 5 months before I took on the M6 as a replacement for my 911 turbo.

Thats my story.

Since then, my 430 has received my personal touch and I love it more than ever. Just seeing her parked in my garage makes each day worth living.
post #58 of 562 Old 12-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 220
Trying to get rid of a house.

long story that I have told before, but kind of fun.

My First Ferrari 250 GT SWB ONE OFF. - FerrariChat.com
post #59 of 562 Old 12-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
...they had a 330 GTS (preowned) there, took it for a ride, wrote a check for $5000 and drove it home.

Looking at that pric e that must have been just before WW1....?

This is how my Ferrari story started:

My Dad was one of the guy's founding the Dutch Classic Car Club, somewhere in the 60's, I think I have mentioned that already in a thread somewhere.
He and his petrolhead friends were buying (very cheap) old cars mostly from the UK, France and Germany and fixing them up in the weekends. 1 of his close friends, who was a fighter pilot, also had an E-type and a 1960 250. Later he got a 330, I think it was from around 1964. Wow, that was something....He took me along many times and when there were ride-outs I always wanted to go with my Uncle Jim as his car was definitely the coolest. He told me about the crazy Italians that built these cars, very unreliable but great fun to drive. Wanted to own an F-car ever since and guess what.....Only too bad that both my Dad and my Uncle Jim aren't around anymore to see it...

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #60 of 562 Old 12-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
...they had a 330 GTS (preowned) there, took it for a ride, wrote a check for $5000 and drove it home.

Looking at that pric e that must have been just before WW1....?

This is how my Ferrari story started:

My Dad was one of the guy's founding the Dutch Classic Car Club, somewhere in the 60's, I think I have mentioned that already in a thread somewhere.
He and his petrolhead friends were buying (very cheap) old cars mostly from the UK, France and Germany and fixing them up in the weekends. 1 of his close friends, who was a fighter pilot, also had an E-type and a 1960 250. Later he got a 330, I think it was from around 1964. Wow, that was something....He took me along many times and when there were ride-outs I always wanted to go with my Uncle Jim as his car was definitely the coolest. He told me about the crazy Italians that built these cars, very unreliable but great fun to drive. Wanted to own an F-car ever since and guess what.....Only too bad that both my Dad and my Uncle Jim aren't around anymore to see it...
It was just a used car back then, the collectability of the car was not established, Ferrari took a depreciation hit, same as any car. New they were probably not much more than double of that. Porsche 911 were selling for about $6000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode