How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 2 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 562 Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
Video games.
To be more precise, Need For Speed: Most Wanted.
The Ferrari mod, was when I fell in love w/ Ferrari.

Porsche, Lambos were both cool in their own way...but the Ferrari's just seemed like it was in a class of its own, magical even.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 562 Old 11-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 140
Back in '72 while I was a freshman in college my father bought a brand new Maserati Indy 4.9 from Guilano Vernga on the Main Line in Philly. The dealer handed him the key's, popped the cork on a bottle of his finest prosecco and toasted my dad. It was just the beginning. A year later a 330 GTS followed in the household, and later followed by a C/4, a Maser Bora, a Daytona Spyder, Lamborghini 400 GT, 512 BBi, and 288 GTO. He also restored a basket case 250 GT to win one of the top awards at Pebble. Sergio Pininfarina handed him the trophy on the stage. That was a big day for him and my mother.

My father offered me the 330 GTS when I graduated from university. I convinced him to buy me a GTC instead. After that my garage has had what you see below in my signature.

Keeping the family precedent alive I bought my son a 328 when he finished college. And have promised my 11 yr old grandson a lime green Lamborghini Gallardo if he graduates from college. Course I will get him to change that to a Ferrari [of my choosing]

Steve

Past: GTC, BB, QM, C/4, 355, 360, 550, 575, C/4
post #23 of 562 Old 11-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
I went to the Volvo Dealer with my brother - age 14.

There sat two Red 308's roped off.

I asked the salesman if we could go for a test drive - my brother shh'd me.

The owner heard me and said - how about I start it up and you can sit in it.

I looked at him and said - why would I want to sit in a car in a showroom.

I recall the day perfectly even the weather and the owners tone - screw him I thought.

Since that day I wanted a Ferrari ... of course the owner rev'd it up and I about died but was to p*ssed at his offer to think I enjoyed hearing it.

Miami Vice - also played a big factor ... oh that sound of the Testarossa and that mirror!

post #24 of 562 Old 11-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
I got my first car when I started college at the University of Illinois Chicago (used to be called circle campus). The best I could afford was a very used Chevy Vega. It cost $400 and burned almost as much oil as it did gas.
Driving to school one morning on the Kennedy Expressway I caught a glimpse of an erie black form quickly coming up behind me on my right (yeah, I was in the left lane with my Vega, LOL!!). As the Testarossa screamed past me, I noticed the slats on the side and the wide rear end. I stared at the black color, edgy shape and said to myself "whoa, Darth Vader-mobile".
That day I swore I would own a Ferrari someday. I actually started looking at the Testarossa for my first, but finally settled on a 360 which I purchased about 3 weeks ago. The experience is more incredible than I had imagined. I can't wait to drive the car. I used to make fun of my son when he first got his license for offering to run every imaginable errand just to get a chance to drive (a Ford Escape of all things). Now that's me. I've gone from dreading going shopping with my wife to "honey, want me to drive you"?
I can't imagine ever being Ferrai-less now. My only regret is not doing it sooner.
post #25 of 562 Old 11-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Hanging around Limerock Park here in CT as a kid. I always thought the Ferrari's were a rich mans car designed exclusively for handling. They were represented to be reasonably fast but were able to pull hard G's better than virtually anything else. I remember being told you could pull into your driveway at top speed. Liked the 308's as a unique representation of rolling sexuality.

Joined the Navy in 81 and didn't see much in the way of racing or the car experiences for a while. Got out in 87 and re-introduced myself to Limerock. Saw the 328's and was confused by the lack of changes to design. Unlike American iron, the Ferrari designers hadn't really changed the car that much. Then, a few years later, I saw my first 348 and fell completely and totally in love. I promised myself I would own that car one day. 15 years later, she was mine.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #26 of 562 Old 11-22-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,129
All great stories. Seems the common thread is we all developed an interest very early.
post #27 of 562 Old 11-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
I am still not an owner, although I will go to sign the contract to buy my first Ferrari next Monday , but I would like to add my story.

In Italy every kid grows up dreaming to drive a Ferrari a day. Ferrari is both a myth and a 'national flag' for nearly every Italian and nearly every Italian is a 'tifoso' of the Ferrari teams in F1 and in other championships.

I was no exception. As a kid, in the late '60s I was entranced seeing the Lamborghini Miura and the Ferrari Daytona and I was in love with the 250 SWB, my favourite Ferrari of all time even today.

I really wanted to own a Ferrari a day. Growing up I kept that dream alive, although I never bought a Ferrari, focusing more on my other passion on four wheels, the Alfa Romeo. I was scared by horror stories regarding Ferrari's general unreliability and astronomic maintenance costs, so I continued to admire those myths on wheels froma 'safe' distance. Turning 50 a few months ago, I decided it was about time to buy a Ferrari at last !

ciao
Mauro
post #28 of 562 Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurodev View Post
I am still not an owner, although I will go to sign the contract to buy my first Ferrari next Monday , but I would like to add my story.

In Italy every kid grows up dreaming to drive a Ferrari a day. Ferrari is both a myth and a 'national flag' for nearly every Italian and nearly every Italian is a 'tifoso' of the Ferrari teams in F1 and in other championships.

I was no exception. As a kid, in the late '60s I was entranced seeing the Lamborghini Miura and the Ferrari Daytona and I was in love with the 250 SWB, my favourite Ferrari of all time even today.

I really wanted to own a Ferrari a day. Growing up I kept that dream alive, although I never bought a Ferrari, focusing more on my other passion on four wheels, the Alfa Romeo. I was scared by horror stories regarding Ferrari's general unreliability and astronomic maintenance costs, so I continued to admire those myths on wheels froma 'safe' distance. Turning 50 a few months ago, I decided it was about time to buy a Ferrari at last !

ciao
Mauro
Congratulations, Mauro !!! A start of a beautiful relationship. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #29 of 562 Old 11-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Thanks Jimmy !

ciao
Mauro
post #30 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 12:15 AM
MRM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
All great stories guys.
I have been poking my head around here but never posted. I think this thread is the perfect opportunity to introduce myself and for my first post.
I grew up in Eastern Europe and while I was little we were poor. At that time (late '70s) behind the iron curtain info and materials about anything like Ferrari was almost nonexistent. Formula one was same way, kind of off limits for the general public. Well, my dad worked his ass off to provide for us and always wanted me to have nice things. Many times he came home late and with few drinks in him, but he always brought me little things. Most of the time they were little Polistill cars (Euro version of Hotwheels) I remember having all sorts of F1 cars, but my father was particularly fond of the Ferrari drivers. I remember him telling me about Niki lauda, Regazoni and others in the middle of the night still smelling like rubber, as he worked with tires. When I was six he bought me a very old karting frame and rebuilt it with me and started taking me to races. His favorite was Gilles Villeneuve and he always told me I looked like him. I even had the same haircut, which back then was asking for trouble. I think that is when half my blood was replaced by gasoline and I became forever branded with the prancing horse. Over the years our family did better and better and in '90 we moved to Lausanne, Switzerland. Down by the lake there were a couple of fancy hotels and I used to visit them every other day as there was always a Ferrari or two parked in front. the more I saw, the more I wanted one.
fast forward to the late nineties and I was living on my own in US. I was making good money I met an Italian guy we used to play soccer with who always had the last two models in his garage. One day he took me to a house where he showed me an old dusty 308 under covers. He said it was his first Ferrari and he would like it to go to someone with a passion for the marque. So i got it for $25 000. What a mistake that was. It took me just a month to realize that I did not have enough white hair to own that car, so with his approval I sold it and made some money. I owned few Corvettes after that until in 2003 I wrapped one around a telephone pole with about 120mph. Broke my neck in two places and rearranged my anatomy pretty good. I am lucky to be able to walk again and to be alive in general, but would have bought another sports car the next day. However I have two kids now and a wife who is pretty serious when she is saying that if I want a sports car I can use carbon copy to sign the divorce papers together with the car's. My enthusiasm about the prancing horse stable is stronger than ever, but until my kids turn at least sixteen I guess I am not getting a Ferrari. After that she can divorce me if she wants, but I am getting one. I like the 550 and the 355.
This is my not so short story, so please don't bash me for not being a current owner.
post #31 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Welcome to FL, MRM. Thank You, for giving us such wonderful overview of your story. If it were me, I doubt I would have your courage to tell it like it is. We all have our own stories to tell, but being forthright is another level.
I can see your passion for owning a Ferrari. I do not think there is anyone here that would care if you own one or not. Good to have you on board.
w/ smiles Jimmy
post #32 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 03:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
MRM, great story and welcome. Never been one for someone dictating edicts to me but a happy path is much more desirable than a sour one. Don't know about the white hair comment but I admire that you keep that passion alive. Life IS short.

"If you have the means I highly recommend you pick one up."

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #33 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Welcome MRM.

The thing is - people forget that you can enjoy Ferraris at normal speeds. You don't need to floor your car to have a smile on your face. Perhaps you can convince the wife that a 308 really is a lot slower, that you don't drive like you used to, and that she can trust you not to do silly things.

Anyway, even without owning one, the cars are still highly enjoyable. So I hope you have fun on FerrariLife.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #34 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 04:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
All great stories guys.
I have been poking my head around here but never posted......so please don't bash me for not being a current owner.

I think you are a bit confused. You must be thinking of another site. Your fine and so is your story. Welcome aboard.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #35 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 05:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 148
I wanted a car that could go around curves without having to stand on the brakes first. I wanted a change of pace from my Mopar muscle cars. (Which I still love...) I looked at a few Vipers and NSXs, but couldn't really get too excited about those. I even looked at a couple of Panteras...came close on one of those.

The choice of Ferrari was probably genetic. I'm 1/2 Italian, 1/4 German and 1/4 Irish. So it was possible I could have gone Porsche or BMW or

DeLorean!
post #36 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 05:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome MRM. An excellent and honest intro! I must echo Onno's comments. A 308 is probably slower now than any standard hot hatch off the production line. The perfect excuse to get one...

In any case, enjoy F Life...!

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #37 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
IThe choice of Ferrari was probably genetic. I'm 1/2 Italian, 1/4 German and 1/4 Irish. So it was possible I could have gone Porsche or BMW or

DeLorean!
Or a Shamrock...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_(car)

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #38 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Or a Shamrock...
I said, I wanted a car that could *TURN* That looks like it could flip end over end on hard application of the brakes if you could get it moving fast enough, never mind trying to corner.

So was their company slogan, "Any color you want as long as you want green?"
post #39 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
I think you are a bit confused. You must be thinking of another site. Your fine and so is your story. Welcome aboard.
+1 MRM - and welcome to the Life!

Being Italian American, I felt it was always my birthright and a big motivation to pursue college and work hard.

Funny story how I bought my first Ferrari.

My wife and I went to a Ferrari crab feast at the invitation of the host who lived nearby and whom we knew from yacht racing. At the time, he owned a sera blue 308GTSi.

I'm sort of a smartass (confirmed by our local Chimps). I went to my car, got my checkbook, and wrote out an unsolicited offer to buy his car. Much to my surprise, he said he'd consider my offer, hold the check, and let me know his decision by Friday.

I was in shock! What had I done? Why hadn't I socialized the idea with my wife first?!

Lucky for me, she fell in love with the car and said go for it.

Five years later, I traded the 308 for a TR and my wife came home and asked "Where is the blue 308?" I sold it to the dealer who sold me the TR. Her reply was "I NEVER told you you couldn't own TWO Ferraris?" She was mildly pissed.

So, we went looking for a 355 and her comment was, "I like the 360 better. Besides, in a couple of years you'll want to sell the 355 and buy a 360. Why don't you just buy the 360?" Forget the budget.

My response was something like "Who are you and what have you done to my wife?!"

I am truly blessed to be married to someone who enjoys Ferrais and cars in general as much as I do. As a matter of fact, she is the one owner of a 1969 GTO 400 cu in muscle car (Pontiac, not Ferrari GTO, unfortunately).
post #40 of 562 Old 11-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurodev View Post

ciao
Mauro

Congrats in advance on finally getting a Ferrari.

250 SWB ?

You have outstanding taste.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode