How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 19 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 562 Old 12-21-2013, 06:57 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Back in the early 90's I managed to land a job working for Bob Norwood at Norwood Autocraft in Dallas. I was doing fabrication and body work on some burned out 308's he'd managed to get his hands on, and we were converting them to 288 GTO look alikes and were putting whatever motor the customer wanted in them. I got to see some really crazy cars come and go in that shop, and that's where I really fell in love with the TR's. After being a Corvette guy all my life (and always will be), I never thought there'd be room for another marque I my life, but I'm really looking forward to the day that I can strap my ass into a new-to-me TR. It's not a matter of if I ever get one, it's just a matter of when, and that car will be mine for life. And although I try not to be pious or even proud, I'll be crowin' like a rooster at sun up when that happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 562 Old 01-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 535
I was always into cars since I was an infant , but when I was 13 I stopped into a magazine shop and purchased a Road & Track magazine with the Ferrari 365GTB/4 on the cover, and the quote "Top Speed: 173MPH". The combination of the beautiful cover photo and the quote just struck me. A few later, I was sitting on the front steps of my home in Montreal, and a friend of mine who lived across the street was dropped off in a red Dino 246 GT by his mother's friend (who apparently received it as a wedding gift). The sound of it coming down the street and the beautiful profile made me jump up and run across the street to greet my friend. I begged the woman to give me a ride, which she did until the first stop sign about 100 ft down the road. Still, it was enough to cement my love of Ferraris for life
post #363 of 562 Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Great stories.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #364 of 562 Old 01-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Great stories.
+1. Great Thread.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #365 of 562 Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 113
Since I was a kid I never dreamed of owning a Ferrari. My dream car was a 911. But... my best friend`s dad always had great Ferraris among others 275 GTB, F50, 512 TR and a 550 Maranello. Some Sundays , very early in the morning we would drive them flat out on the highway, with speeds that would probably put us straight in jail today. Those were memorable and priceless days. This is when I started to understand the magic of Ferraris. Time passed and I realized my kid`s dream and bought the first of many 911s to come. But...finally the moment came to rediscover the Ferrari magic and I bought my 575. I can`t wait the winter to end and drive it.
post #366 of 562 Old 01-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Alex- Great story and hard to resist the song of the V12 siren. One thing you will really enjoy is having torque everywhere. Almost as much torque as a 7 liter Corvette.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #367 of 562 Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
How i fell in love with Ferraris

I would like to apologize in advance for my story being so long, hope at least you find it interesting enough to read it till the end. So it all started 10 years ago. It was August the 12th 2004. A local shop which belonged to a big chain of shops lending DVDs,movies,games etc. organized an event where it brought a Lamborghini Gallardo and a Ferrari F430 Spider. In order to get a ride you had to borrow 5 movies/games etc per week for 5 weeks. In those 5 weeks me and my family saw every movie we always said we would like to see. So on August the 11th my father got an sms which said that two memebers of the family could get a ride in the Gallardo or in the F430. So the next day we went to the shop where the two Italian beauties where. I instantly chose the F430 simply because then and till today it is simply THE car for me. My father got a ride in the Gallardo. My father went for his ride shortly after 5pm and came back at around 6pm. My ride would start at 8pm and end at 9pm.I was at the shop at 7:15pm when after 15 the Ferrari driver came and told me "Hey little petrolhead,the previous ride was cancelled so your will be half an hour longer". I can't describe how good i felt at that moment.So we got in the car,started up (the ENGINE START button reading for me was more like DREAM RIDE START button),put the top down and started our ride. The first 20-25 minutes we cruised around the city,and then it was time for a bit more speed.We got out of the city and onto the "highway". We did a quick stop at a Shell gas station to fill up with V-Power Racing and then it was time for the Manettino to go to RACE mode. From now on it was the best part of the ride. I can remember every second of it. The amazing sound of the V8 at 9000 rpm. I never looked at the speedo except from one time where i saw that we were going 300kph. On the whole ride i didn't say a simple word, i was just smilling and living the dream. And then came the moment when we arrived at the shop again and the ride ended. I can remeber the words one by one that i told the driver, they were "Amazing machine,i will get one some day for sure. Thank you for the ride sir". The driver laughed and replied "You are welcome Alex". So i took some photos of the car and some with me sitting inside it and a video where the owner let me give it some nice hard revs . That was the best car ride i 've ever had. Since then i go every Christmas to the Ferrari dealership in Frankfurt or Vienna just to take a look and wish the people there Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, but although sometimes i'm allowed to get into the cars,the car that i sit in at first and as last is an F430 Spider. I 've been saving money since the day i saw the F430 Spider on the Greek version of the Top Gear magazine. Lots of people laugh when i tell them that i will get one but i don't mind because one day i will get MY F430, the only thing i don't know is when will that day be, till then i just keep dreaming of it and planning my trips with it . Hope you find my story interesting and not boring and i would like to apologize for it being so long but i wanted to share every moment of it with you people. Have a nice day, Alexandros.
post #368 of 562 Old 01-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Alex- I believe you will get your F430 Spider. Good luck.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #369 of 562 Old 01-30-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
That's for sure
post #370 of 562 Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 113
Alex: nice write-up ,wish you all the best in realizing your dream! Will look forward to seeing the photos of your 430. Btw beautiful country Greece.
post #371 of 562 Old 01-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
So do I

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #372 of 562 Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
So do I
+1

Good luck, Alex!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #373 of 562 Old 02-02-2014, 03:58 AM

All your positive responses and wishes are greatly appreciated,thanks a lot.
post #374 of 562 Old 02-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
Alex, so many young people don't know what they want or what they want to do, but you sure do! What really matters is that in finally getting your Ferrari you'll have learned to work hard and be successful at whatever you choose to do in life; the Ferrari will "only" cap your real achievement- making something of yourself!

Good luck, Alex...keep with it!

Rich S., Architect
328 GTS, Morgan +4, Jaguar E-Type Coupe
post #375 of 562 Old 02-03-2014, 05:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Best of luck from Holland too! FWIW, in my mid-30ies I had forgotten about being a Ferrari owner, I never thought it would happen to me. In my late 30ies, I owned a couple. You never know how life goes.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #376 of 562 Old 02-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Owner

I posted a reply about Alex but nothing about myself. So... I like cars in general, beautiful, fast ones in particular. When I was much, much younger I really wanted a Dino 246, but was unable to afford one. (In 1971 the cost for a new Dino in Vancouver was CAN$12,700 for one with vinyl, CAN$13.300 for one with leather. Best I could do in those years was an Elan, which I wouud up racing, starting in 1967; my last SCCA race was in November 1970, when my Cosworth-prepared Elan engine left this world, in more of a complete way than I thought possible! The cylinder head, the pistons, the crankshaft, the camshafts, all were ruined, and the block had a hole the size of a soup can in it! So much for racing, which I really could ill- afford...

Later I bought an older series 1 3.8 E-Type; and so on & on. A few years ago, after many British sports cars (along with a few others) I bought a '66 E-Type coupe to restore, which I did. only to find- after a total restoration effort- that due (mostly) to knee problems I couldn't get into the darn thing! Ow!

Being somewhat more than bummed out, I decided to sell the E-Type, and started looking around for something else, and wound up looking at Ferrari 308's. Others have been positively influenced by "Magnum P.I." but I figured that a car featured on TV was more show than go. Of course I now know this wasn't a fair judgement at all, so after a lot of thinking about it and research I looked around and gave the 308 another look. Finally I decided that the 328 was the better value, if purchased in good shape and at the right price. Last December, I bought an '86 328 GTS. I'm now redoing the seats and interior so I can actually sit in it & drive it comfortably, being 6' 4" tall. Nearly ready on the seats, but this is about how I got into the marque, not owning one. In my case, at long last...

Just as a reminder, some years ago NASA had a poster that read "FASTER, HIGHER, CHEAPER", to which some wig added below, "Pick any two"...

Cheers, Rich
post #377 of 562 Old 02-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
I have always known that Ferraris were special. Every time I saw another exotic (to me) car, something in the back of my mind said "But, it's not a Ferrari". The only other car that really rang my bell like that was the Lamborghini Miura. Then, one day in 1971, I was driving by a large Ford dealership in upstate New York when something caught my eye. I made an immediate U-turn, and stopped to take a look. There sat a stunningly beautiful silver 1965 Ferrari 500 Superfast. It had about 38,000 miles on it and was obviously someone's daily driver. Not a show car by any definition. But in very good to excellent condition. They were asking $13,500 for it. However, since I was just out of college at the time, and poor as a church mouse, the price could have been $13 million. Same to me. I couldn't afford it, and sadly walked away. I will never forget that day, and how sad I was to know how close I was to greatness in that car. Then, there was Magnum's 308, and of course, the SWB California from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Time drifts away and I am now 65, and determined not to be the richest guy in the nursing home. So I told my wife that I was diversifying my portfolio by investing in post-modern Italian industrial art, and proceeded to go out and buy my 2009 Scuderia Spider 16M. By the way, the last 500 Superfast at auction sold for over $1,000,000.
post #378 of 562 Old 02-20-2014, 02:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,194
Rich and skip737, thanks for making my day, great stories and I can relate with the age issue and busting a gut with Skips comment "determined not to be the richest guy in the nursing home". Me too.

A bunch of stuff.
post #379 of 562 Old 02-20-2014, 04:55 AM

I have to agree with Skip737. Last Christmas i was driving around with an uncle and going into different exotic car delaerships.So i ended up in a dealership where there was a Ferrari F430 Spider and a Buggati Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse. So the salesman asked if i would like to get in one of the cars ( there were a lot of other sports and luxury cars around ) and i told him i want to get in the F430 so i got in. While i was sitting in it he came and told me " Nice car but not as good as the Buggati" and i replied " Veyrons are nice cars but still not Ferraris" and then he told me about horsepower,acceleration times and so on. Then i thought i would make him laugh a bit so i told him it's still a VW. Everyone around bursted out laughing.It was a really nice moment i will sure remember for a long time. You know, i was always thinking what troumendorous speeds veyrons can drive up to but the Ferrari virus comes and tells me "Alex, it's still not a Ferrari"
post #380 of 562 Old 02-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Owner

The modern-day Bugattis are owned by the Germans and built in Italy. The real prewar Bugattis were owned by an Italian expat and built in France. If there's any particular similarity between the two it's the radiator grille design and the pricing. I hope the Germans never buy out Ferrari; God only knows what they'd come with, or what it'd look like. Probably something like Prancing Horse meets Tiger Tank...

Cheers, Rich

Last edited by Rich S; 02-20-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: revised comment

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode