How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 17 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #321 of 562 Old 06-29-2013, 03:17 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEGA View Post
The 124 is long gone sadly, as is the second one I bought as a whim years later. Nothing too exciting in the garage right now, funny how an incoming baby ( just turned 1 on June 20) got me all sorts of sensible. Daily cars are my X5 (great car seat car by the way) and the wife's 328i that she uses to get to the Metro each day.

Scud is due in the next 30 days or less if I can find the right one AND stop waffling between coupe and 16M. I am seriously tossed over that one - nudges one way or the other welcome!

Carl
I really like X5s. Had a tour once down the countryside in a 2010 brown one, was a great pleasure.

Scuds are just awesome examples of modern Ferraris, in what colour would you like to get either the coupe or the 16M?

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 562 Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 503
It`s in the blood. Anyone ever wondered why that`s red also?
post #323 of 562 Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 47
It all started when my Godfather gave me a framed poster of a Testarossa! (Yes I'm an 80's child)

It has always been a dream of mine to own such an awesome car (IMO), now that dream is slowly but shorley going to be reality.

The fire has been flickering along but not burning so bright the last few month until my wife surprised me on our honeymoon with a drive in a Ferrari F430 Spider, in all places Monaco!
Now I wasn't able to drive in the principality (the instructor did a lap of the GP track, 10.32 min, the swimming pool section is clogged with the polo set up) but a 5 min drive from Monaco and the wheel was mine. Words can not explain the feeling of driving such a car, the power, handling and responsiveness was mind blowing.
For 1hr I was living a dream and enjoying every second of it!

This experience has fuelled that flickering flame into a burning passion to one day, sooner rather than later, own that Testarossa I have always dreamed about.

I have been stalking the forum for some time now and the information contained on this site has been invaluable to my research and understanding of the Testarossa.

I hope to be able to pick your brains and get advise along the way, that will see me purchase that childhood dream car!

Thanks

Andrew.

post #324 of 562 Old 06-29-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotthreesixty View Post
It`s in the blood. Anyone ever wondered why that`s red also?
Every Ferrari fan have their passion in their blood I assume.

What's why red? The blood? Here is the answer:

Blood is red due to hemoglobin (the molecule that carries oxygen around) which is held in the red blood cells. In the hemoglobin are four atoms of iron which can be in an oxidized state, i.e with an atom of oxygen attached to it, making it red, or in a non-oxidized state, when it is dark red-blue (maroon).

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
post #325 of 562 Old 06-29-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap_point View Post
It all started when my Godfather gave me a framed poster of a Testarossa! (Yes I'm an 80's child)

It has always been a dream of mine to own such an awesome car (IMO), now that dream is slowly but shorley going to be reality.

The fire has been flickering along but not burning so bright the last few month until my wife surprised me on our honeymoon with a drive in a Ferrari F430 Spider, in all places Monaco!
Now I wasn't able to drive in the principality (the instructor did a lap of the GP track, 10.32 min, the swimming pool section is clogged with the polo set up) but a 5 min drive from Monaco and the wheel was mine. Words can not explain the feeling of driving such a car, the power, handling and responsiveness was mind blowing.
For 1hr I was living a dream and enjoying every second of it!

This experience has fuelled that flickering flame into a burning passion to one day, sooner rather than later, own that Testarossa I have always dreamed about.

I have been stalking the forum for some time now and the information contained on this site has been invaluable to my research and understanding of the Testarossa.

I hope to be able to pick your brains and get advise along the way, that will see me purchase that childhood dream car!

Thanks

Andrew.
Love to read about stories where a true admiration blows into a huge, lifetime passion, thanks for sharing and good luck on your hunt!

post #326 of 562 Old 07-07-2013, 03:15 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranTurismo View Post
I really like X5s. Had a tour once down the countryside in a 2010 brown one, was a great pleasure.

Scuds are just awesome examples of modern Ferraris, in what colour would you like to get either the coupe or the 16M?
The X5 has been a pleasure to drive. Prior to that I had a Porsche Cayenne S and while a nice vehicle it was not nearly as nicely appointed and comfortable as the X5. The rear doors seem to offer better access for me getting my little boy in and out as well so that is a plus as well.

I had originally been leaning towards Rosso Corsa on either but have to admit to liking some of the Giallo ones I have seen as well.

Probably the biggest snag I've run in to on my Scud hunt is my wife...she likes the 458 better and thinks I should get that instead. I like both cars and since she offered to pay for the 458 if I went that way she is making, shall I say, a compelling case for going that direction.
post #327 of 562 Old 07-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Drive the 458 before you make the jump, the Scud and 16M to me are in a completely different league and of those 2 I opted for the 16M and enjoyed every mile in my 2 years of ownership, Id never buy a 458 as they are too easy to drive and lack a rawness I seek from my 2 seater Supercars. Good luck in your hunt, have fun once she lands on your driveway whichever way you swing!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #328 of 562 Old 07-09-2013, 09:09 AM
BBC

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Watching Formula 1 races as a kid, have been fascinated with Ferrari's ever since.
post #329 of 562 Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 961
My friend gave me a book for my birthday; Dino, the little Ferrari. That prompted an interest in Ferrari and shortly thereafter the purchase of a 246 Dino, Type L. Coincidentally, that car is now owned by an FLife board member...Talk about a small world! I've owner six Ferrari's since then, including a 365bb that was purchased in 1984 that I still own today.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #330 of 562 Old 08-01-2013, 05:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Video Games

Growing up in Canada, especially Edmonton, in the 1980's didn't present much exposure to Ferraris. However when we moved to Hong Kong in 1987 the access to cool cars was much greater. Being 10 or so cars didn't do anything for me yet. That changed when I started playing this cool video game called Test Drive (title might be off, can't remember). You got to choose between a Lambo, 959, or F40. I thought the game was cool but is no doubt horrendous by today's standards. Anyways, for whatever reason I always chose the F40. Just loved it. After that I started to notice cars, especially Ferraris, and there were plenty of cool ones in HK. I knew I had to have one. Fast forward many years and many hard times later and I was able to purchase my first one, a 1989 328 GTS, last year.

1989 328 GTS
post #331 of 562 Old 08-03-2013, 04:43 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
In the late 50's I was a big fan of Phil Hill and Dan Gurney and, by extension, a fan of Ferrari. The only vehicle I ever owned was a wooden framed go-cart that I built powered by a Maytag washing machine engine, but I swore that one day I would own a street-going Ferrari. As time went on, the childish fantasy gradually gave way to reality.

Unfortunately, whenever my income and net worth grew, the price of that mythical Ferrari grew even faster. Eventually, the dream of owning a Ferrari found a resting place far in the back of my mind and for a long time I didn't give it much thought.

But the dream came alive again after I left the U.S. and decided to live in Italy where I immediately purchased a Ducati motorcycle in a partially successful attempt to scratch my Ferrari itch. The Ducati remains a thrill a minute, but it isn't a Ferrari.

Not too long ago I was reviewing the state of the world in general, my financial position in particular, and the price of a used Ferrari. It appeared to me that I would die before I ran out of money even if I took a chunk of that money and turned it into a nice 360 Modena, so that's exactly what I did.
post #332 of 562 Old 08-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,851
Roberto- Very interesting story and, even with the latest tax crackdown, it must be fun owning a Ferrari in Italy. The weather there is really great for driving a Ferrari, much like California's weather when I have visited.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #333 of 562 Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Roberto- Very interesting story and, even with the latest tax crackdown, it must be fun owning a Ferrari in Italy. The weather there is really great for driving a Ferrari, much like California's weather when I have visited.
Where I live we have some snow in winter, but not too much. Spring and Fall are long and the hot part of Summer lasts only a month or so. Of course, the secondary roads in Italy are fantastic. So that's all good.

I'd say owning a Ferrari in Italy is more odd then fun. Believe it or not, seeing a Ferrari is a rare experience, for me at least. Last week I saw one on the road and a Masarati GT too. But before that it has been at least a year since I've seen anything more unusual than a Porsche. The Financial Police are quite aggressive and they stop me about once a month wanting to know why I have a nice car.

But the ordinary folks love it. I get thumbs up signals, honks, waves, and yells from enthusiastic Italians when I pass by.
post #334 of 562 Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Mozella, would be interesting to hear your stories and experiences of life in Italy ! Probably, a great thread to be, all by iteself.

Great to hear that Italians are so full of expressions like that !

For me, visiting Italy is a must do on my bucket list. Enjoyed your story.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #335 of 562 Old 08-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Jimmy- You will love it there. Great weather, beautiful scenery and girls, and outstanding food and wine. Plus everybody is friendly, especially if you try to speak five or six words of Italian.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #336 of 562 Old 08-06-2013, 01:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Italy is fantastic, have spent many summers there. I'm in the process of buying property there at the moment, and I can't wait to spend more time there once the deal is done. I'll be converting a B&B into 3 or 4 apartments, you're welcome to swing by anytime Jimmy!

Seeing Ferraris in Italy is indeed very rare - I always see more in other European countries. The attitude of officials seems to have changed, the Caribinieri used to be quite well disposed to Ferrari owners but in these difficult times it seems the climate has changed. But the enthousiasm of the Italians themselves, as Roberto said, is quite amazing. It was fun practising my Italian trying to explain what the 458 can do, how many cavalli it has, that I specced the car in Maranello etc.

BTW - beautiful region you live in, Roberto!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #337 of 562 Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Gentlemen, much obliged for your comments, insights, and invitations.

I envy all of you with rich experiences to tell as such. The least I can say is that it is good to have a "to do list" still. Truly must begin making plans and reset my priorities a bit.

Now, back to the OP topic. Sorry for diverting a bit.

w/ smiles,

Jimmy
post #338 of 562 Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM
jbo

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
I just made my first post after lurking a bit (TR New MemberPost). I was waiting to get my new (to me) red head in my garage.

For me, as with many others, it started with Magnum P.I. From what I can remember, I was hooked from the first show I saw. That car was different, mystical, absolutely beautiful and nothing like anything I had everseen before. Thus the quest to know as much about them as I could get my hands on (pre internet) began.

It has been mentioned that these cars are part of our DNA. I completely agree. Something as captivating at an early age that grips you throughout your entire life is not consequence of anything short of a deep connection. Ya, it’s just a car but, it’s not just a car…

My story of my Ferrari is probably a bit unique. I have worked as the I.T. manager for the same company for 13 years. We bought #071955 for trade shows to display our products to others in the vehicle industry. The trade show phase of our company quickly passed and the car was sitting in the president’s garage basically collecting dust. From the moment the company acquired the car, I would make up excuses to go see it, smell it, just simply be aroundit and take in the heritage that preceded it rolling out of the factory.

Fast forward to last month…. The president of our company, knowing I was probably the only person in the company that “understood” what a Ferrari is, made me an offer that met my ability to obtain it.

The car has been maintained well and currently only has 16,100 miles. It has had a major but… Probably needs another. I know a few things that need to be done to be completely sorted but, that is what the future is for… (yes, I will open it upmyself)

Thank you all for allowing me to read your stories. It seems traces of all our DNA run deep and wide. The members of this site all share those traces of DNA. What a great group of genuinely caring, helpful, and lively group you seem to be. I am proud to be a member.
post #339 of 562 Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 76
Garage
In the late 1994 my father came home in a black Mondial T. I did not know anything about Ferrari at the time. I did not like the look of the car at all. My dad then asked me if I would like to go for a ride. I was 12 at this stage. I remember the drive so clearly. I was blown away by the sound and acceleration. From the moment we got home, I was obsessed with this car. I would come home from school, and find time to sit in it and clean it. My dad taught me to drive in the car.

In 1998 my dad sold the car as he was never a real fan of Ferrari. My heart broke the day it was sold. My best friend's dad had just purchased a brand new 355 GTS F1, red with black interior. He offered to take me for a drive one weekend. By now, I was 16 and almost ready to begin driving legally. This car changed my life. Then and there I knew I needed to have my own Ferrari.

Since then I have had the chance to drive many Ferrari's from a Mondial, to 360, 348, 430, 456(A), 575, 599 and 458. I refuse to drive the 355 as it is my childhood hero. I will drive one when I buy one.

I recently purchased a 550 Maranello. I had to take my dad for a good ride in it. I do have him to thank for introducing me to the brand. I also will be meeting with my best friends father to go for our first breakfast run together. He now has a silver 355 spyder.

It's in the DNA for sure. To this day I am still like a little kid when I see a Ferrari. No matter the model. They are true beauties.

Here 's to adding to the stable !
post #340 of 562 Old 08-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Clynton- Great story and you were lucky to have a Ferrari in the family garage. Glad the infatuation stuck.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode