How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 13 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 562 Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 281
Great story indeed - all those carburators! All those curves! Fun memories...

Cheers, Ben ( Too many toys, not enough garage space! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 562 Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,194
I forgot to add that 4th street in Santa Rosa was the street you cruised to pick up chicks, of course my luck wasn't so good driving the golden turd. The plum colored 250 California looked like an SR-71 compared to my golden opal turd, but that car built a dream for me and I'm sure many other young men.

I'm off to Monterey for 5 days of cars cars cars!
post #243 of 562 Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by treynor View Post
Great story indeed - all those carburators! All those curves! Fun memories...
+1, this is one of my favorites.

post #244 of 562 Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 AM
enw
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
As was the case with so many other members, I'm certain there was some Magnum P.I. influence. I started out with Triumphs eventually getting into Porsches and then finally bought a 328 GTS a few years ago. I know it's totally subjective but, along with the XKE, I think the 328 GTS is one of the most beautiful cars in the world. OK, I'm shallow -- I bought it for its looks! I even have a canvas of it hanging in our dining room (my wife is very tolerant!). The 328 GTS has now been replaced by a F430 F1. It's a lovely car as well, but it offers the performance that was missing from the 328. I still have a Porsche 911 and probably always will. This particular 911 is a Turbo S and it's a bit faster than the F430, at least on paper, but the Ferrari... well, it's a Ferrari. And there's nothing like a Ferrari.
post #245 of 562 Old 09-22-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

You have a very tolerant wife. I suggested placing a window into the garage from the living room.......and it was not well received.
post #246 of 562 Old 09-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 229
I caught the virus at the age of 13 in Italy in 1960. I was on holiday with my parents and we were driving back across Italy to the UK. It was a hot afternoon around the middle of August. We stopped on the Autostrada del Sol to fill up the car and to give my Dad a break from driving. The motorway petrol station was on a flat stretch of road not far from a tunnel exit and the road then dissapeared into another tunnel. I think we were somewhere in the Genova region, but despite many trips I have never been able to refind the exact location.
I was eating an icecream and watching the lorries and overloaded Fiat 500s going past, when an indescribable noise started to come from one of the tunnels rapidly building to a creschendo. A light blue car shot out of the tunnel, flashed accross my field of vision and disappeared into the second tunnel, leaving the sound of its V12 engine reverberating off the hillsides and buildings. It was truely on full song.
From car magazine photos, I later identified it as a Ferrari 250GT Pinin Farina Coupe.
Over 50 years later, I still have the sound of that 250GT ringing in my ears and it is no accident that when I finally eneded up owning a Ferrari it is a V12 front engined GT that sounds as near as d-mn it like the first one I heard..

'97 Rosso Corsa 550 Maranello
post #247 of 562 Old 09-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelV12 View Post
I caught the virus at the age of 13 in Italy in 1960. I was on holiday with my parents and we were driving back across Italy to the UK. It was a hot afternoon around the middle of August. We stopped on the Autostrada del Sol to fill up the car and to give my Dad a break from driving. The motorway petrol station was on a flat stretch of road not far from a tunnel exit and the road then dissapeared into another tunnel. I think we were somewhere in the Genova region, but despite many trips I have never been able to refind the exact location.
I was eating an icecream and watching the lorries and overloaded Fiat 500s going past, when an indescribable noise started to come from one of the tunnels rapidly building to a creschendo. A light blue car shot out of the tunnel, flashed accross my field of vision and disappeared into the second tunnel, leaving the sound of its V12 engine reverberating off the hillsides and buildings. It was truely on full song.
From car magazine photos, I later identified it as a Ferrari 250GT Pinin Farina Coupe.
Over 50 years later, I still have the sound of that 250GT ringing in my ears and it is no accident that when I finally eneded up owning a Ferrari it is a V12 front engined GT that sounds as near as d-mn it like the first one I heard..
Childhood holiday, Italy, Ferrari.

Exactly how I contracted the F bug too.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #248 of 562 Old 09-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,194
Thumbs up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelV12 View Post
It is a magic sound!

Thanks for your story, I can't wait to hear others, I love this thread!
post #249 of 562 Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Should we move the thread to the Member Introduction section?
post #250 of 562 Old 09-28-2012, 05:02 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 507
When I registered to F-Life, I wrote I got the bug as a three years old child in a parking lot by a 308, but maybe it really reached me on an Italian autostrada a few years earlier. I was on a bus tour (Budapest-Rome) with my grandmother, heading back to the capital of Hungary. I was pretty bored, looking at the maps when I spotted Maranello. I knew it as the home of Ferrari, but at that time, I wasn't such a big car maniac, so except a few models, I didn't know much about Cavallinos. We were about 80 kilometres far from the dreamworld near Bologna when I heard an interesting "noise" which was getting louder and louder and suddenly a black Ferrari overtook us, leaving back the songs of the orchestra...I couldn't have blinked, couldn't have said or heard anything, I was just wondering of that Ferrari. What could it be, what could it be, it seemed to me, this journey never ends. All I wanted was, to get know, what that Ferrari exactly was. Finally, I found out, it was a 275 GTB. Maybe that car is the reason why I love better the Enzo-era Ferraris than modern ones, despite of my young age. Icing on the cake, my parents told me later on, we are going to have our holiday in Italy, which was a possibility to take my first trip to Maranello...

And that's it! I'll be a Ferrari fan forever, never get out of that bug.

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
post #251 of 562 Old 09-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Attila- Another great story. Someone should write a book. How my Love for Ferraris Began.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #252 of 562 Old 09-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Attila- Another great story. Someone should write a book. How my Love for Ferraris Began.
Could be an other Ferrari Life book. It would be a nice collection.

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem
post #253 of 562 Old 09-30-2012, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranTurismo View Post
Could be an other Ferrari Life book. It would be a nice collection.
Perhaps when we get 200 personal stories we can talk Andrew into putting together a book.
post #254 of 562 Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Hi Boxer,

I always had a love for automobiles. Ferrari kind of represented an icon that was "out of reach" or unattainable. I was put off a bit by the rumored high maintenance costs of the older models, etc. I remember a few years back when I was on holiday in Rome I spotted a 360 Spider parked by the Spanish Steps. It was love at first sight. These cars are really like rolling sculpture. I've been through many BMWs ( I owned 6 of the 8 series cars), Jaguar (trying to forget that one), and Audi (great cars) but Ferrari brings out a visceral response that none other can match. It might be that I am of Italian heritage but I think its more because I appreciate the form matching the function of the automobile. I looked for months for the car I currently own and am really happy with it. I will be taking delivery of a 458 Italia in April 2013 and can't wait. I'm new to this forum and appreciate you contacting me. Thomas

Current: 2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello Argento/Black
2017 Audi R8 Daytona Grey/Vermont Brown
2016 Porsche Spyder Black/Black
1957 Speedster Pewter/Saddle
post #255 of 562 Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
In 1970 beside the hotel we were staying in Venice, Italy is a Ferrari dealer. A red 365 GTB was on display and the rest is history.
post #256 of 562 Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchboy View Post
In 1970 beside the hotel we were staying in Venice, Italy is a Ferrari dealer. A red 365 GTB was on display and the rest is history.
Did you ever end up owning a Daytona?
post #257 of 562 Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 89
Miss you Guys

Boxer, It's amazing that of your collection of gems you should refer to the 355. The one and only I ever had the pleasure to own. It is a spectacular sports car indeed. I still dream about her. The lines, the sound, everything. I may not ever have the chance to own one again, but I can tell you it was a thrill of a life time. I still still shed tears for this car. Is this crazy or what? I'm in Arizona, semi retired. Bored as heck. I have only seen a couple of Ferrari's in Scottsdale. So sad. Hope you are well. Post some pi's of your latest.

"LIFE IS SHORT, I'LL HAVE ANOTHER FERRARI SOME DAY!
post #258 of 562 Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1FUN View Post
Boxer, It's amazing that of your collection of gems you should refer to the 355. The one and only I ever had the pleasure to own. It is a spectacular sports car indeed. I still dream about her. The lines, the sound, everything. I may not ever have the chance to own one again, but I can tell you it was a thrill of a life time. I still still shed tears for this car. Is this crazy or what? I'm in Arizona, semi retired. Bored as heck. I have only seen a couple of Ferrari's in Scottsdale. So sad. Hope you are well. Post some pi's of your latest.
I am sure another F355 will come your way in the future:

Here is the latest garage shot of the Ferraris: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/fe...-2012-f50.html

also still have a couple of others but the K'egg is gone: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/fe...ether-f50.html
post #259 of 562 Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,393
I've been kicking around this site for a while now, but just now I'm getting further past the midwest section. Here's how I got into Ferrari's.

It started when I was about 10 years old, I became fascinated with Corvettes - they were "the" car for me at the time, and so I started going to car shows around town. I was at a show one year, and someone had brought a (then) brand new 355 out, and I had never seen anything like it before, and like any 10 year old would do, went home, got on the internet, and dreamed over that car. After years of going to shows, dealerships, meeting people, etc., I joined the FCA, and my passion grew from there. Although I'm not an owner yet, I've had the opportunity to be around some great people and see some great cars in the past 5 some odd years since I've gotten more involved around town, and I'm just counting down the days til I'm an owner. Kind of a short story, but that's how I got hooked.
post #260 of 562 Old 11-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Hey Christiana, nice to hear from you again! Too bad you had to let her go but the memories are priceless.

Scott - nice to hear you can join the FCA without being an owner. We have that in the Netherlands too, and the non-owners add a lot of enthousiasm and passion to the club.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode