Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 562 Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger3431 View Post
what job did you have to get into this ferrari
People that ask that question will never get one. Even if there was such a job, then the chances of you being able to do it are very slim indeed.

Seriously - you need to have passion in your chosen field and then you will make a success of it. A Ferrari should never be the goal, and if you think like that you will never get there.

Find what you are good at, work hard at it, make a success of it, and if you are very succesful you can afford a Ferrari. I never thought I would own one, and I would have been happy without one. Sure, Ferraris are fun and great but if you think they are the recipe for happiness then you will be disappointed. Don't focus on the material results, focus on your job and having a great time getting better at what you do.

I hope you will see this as encouragement and not as a let-down. We're always happy to provide advice but we see too many people who just think there is a secret button to press to owning a Ferrari. There isn't. It takes years, mostly decades, of very very hard work.

Best of luck!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #223 of 562 Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger3431 View Post
what job did you have to get into this ferrari
Well one of my neighbours is a plumber and he drives a California.

post #224 of 562 Old 07-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
I'm more into the beginning stages than most of you here. I've had my first Ferrari for about 3 days. To be honest it makes me feel a little giddy inside as embarrassing as that is. After I take it out for a drive I find myself pacing in my home with a smile on my face. Is this normal?

I received the Ferrari as part of a business deal. I still haven't opened her up all the way... mainly because this is my first car with a clutch. Been trying to take it slow and steady while I get a feel for it. Since there is no clutch pedal there isn't much difficulty. Just been trying to search through old threads about proper shifting and such.

There is definitely no other feeling like it in the world.
post #225 of 562 Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by erandall38 View Post
I'm more into the beginning stages than most of you here. I've had my first Ferrari for about 3 days. To be honest it makes me feel a little giddy inside as embarrassing as that is. After I take it out for a drive I find myself pacing in my home with a smile on my face. Is this normal?

I received the Ferrari as part of a business deal. I still haven't opened her up all the way... mainly because this is my first car with a clutch. Been trying to take it slow and steady while I get a feel for it. Since there is no clutch pedal there isn't much difficulty. Just been trying to search through old threads about proper shifting and such.

There is definitely no other feeling like it in the world.
I feel giddy after 3 years of owning one - wouldn't be normal if you didn't.

Shifting is no different that a manual - help the car get out of gears from a stop in other words don't drag out the time of engaging - the quicker it engages the less wear.

Reverse and taking off on a steep grade are the hardest on the F1.
post #226 of 562 Old 07-08-2012, 10:20 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
well i must have the most boring start to Ferrari's here,
I was on the train after flying home for the weekend and i saw my current Ferrari online, i said to my colleague sitting next to me ... " hey check it out a really nice Ferrari, v12 and six speed, should i get it ?
as you would expect he said " yeah sure " so i did.
The following day my 5 year old son and i went to have a look at it and i repeated the original question to him, to which he replied " yeah dad i love that Ferrari "
4 days later after a little negotiating i was a very proud owner of a 95" 456 GT
I mean who doesn't want to be picked up from preschool in a red Ferrari. I wished i had !
cheers
Ted
post #227 of 562 Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lehmann View Post
well i must have the most boring start to Ferrari's here,
I was on the train after flying home for the weekend and i saw my current Ferrari online, i said to my colleague sitting next to me ... " hey check it out a really nice Ferrari, v12 and six speed, should i get it ?
as you would expect he said " yeah sure " so i did.
The following day my 5 year old son and i went to have a look at it and i repeated the original question to him, to which he replied " yeah dad i love that Ferrari "
4 days later after a little negotiating i was a very proud owner of a 95" 456 GT
I mean who doesn't want to be picked up from preschool in a red Ferrari. I wished i had !
cheers
Ted
Ted - whatever you know you loved all the soccer Mom's digging your ride.

I bought my F cars later in life - but not too late. Plan on taking a drive to my sons college and saying Hello.
post #228 of 562 Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lehmann View Post
cheers
Ted
Actually my eldest son. He hates being picked up in a Ferrari. His younger brother is the opposite, normally telling me which Ferrari he wants to be picked up in.
post #229 of 562 Old 07-13-2012, 04:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
My wife got me my previous 612 for my 50th, but none of our three young children like to sit in the 612..."too many people staring at us" they said...
So when I tested the 458 on Fiorano track, I fell in love with it and ordered a new one to replace my 612.

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
post #230 of 562 Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Actually my eldest son. He hates being picked up in a Ferrari. His younger brother is the opposite, normally telling me which Ferrari he wants to be picked up in.
Looking at the amazing cars in your collection, he's bound to be the talk of the school! Fantastic...
post #231 of 562 Old 07-13-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraricyprus View Post
Looking at the amazing cars in your collection, he's bound to be the talk of the school! Fantastic...
Not this school. Plenty of the families have a range of impressive cars. Not unusual to see a couple of Porches and Ferraris in the parents parking lot.
post #232 of 562 Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Greetings Gentlemen,

Coming from a vintage Porsche centered life with passions for the 917K, 935K3 and 961 and completing the build on a 1979 935 K3 tribute using all original parts save for the motor etc. I have had a bit of a life shift after marrying my wonderful bride. While my 935 K3 was a 4 year build commitment, requiring exponential monetary resources as well as time, I realized that for my blossoming relationship I had a tough decision to make.

While I love the 935 K3 with all of my heart, knowing it was the ultimate inspiration and lifeblood of my forums (Funf Gruppen) as well as my upstart vintage Porsche racing parts company (D-Zug Produkte), I knew that it would devour all of my time and require further finances to fully sort her out. On top of that I was security contracting and have been working continually since 2004 between Afghanistan and Iraq – the compensation was excellent however finally meeting the girl of my dreams was the final straw that led to me hang up my guns and come home.

Once I was home I made the commitment to purchase a ring beyond compare for my bride to be, something to symbolize how special I think she is and a glimpse of how highly I regard her. Knowing I needed a break from the 935 K3 as sorting her was pushing my limit for patience I sold it to the parts company (DZ) and had a ring crafted for my bride which was slightly more than what I got for the Porsche, however the craftsmanship of the ring is deserved of the cost. This served the purpose of showing my bride how special she was to me as she knew how I felt about the car, and also allowing me to think about other projects and center myself.

I’ve always loved the sound of Ferrari engines and the 512 bbi being one of the most beautiful and timeless designs in my eyes I started to think; could I afford the elusive Ferrari? While knowing the bbi would be unsuitable for a daily driver in the Texas heat I thought about what design I enjoyed the most out of the modern cars with air conditioning listed as a must. My thoughts immediately were drawn to the feminine shape and demonic howl of an uncorked 360, upon hearing the bark and feeling a wave of emotion at simply a sound I knew I had to have one. Research on this forum has lead me to believe that they are quite reliable if maintained, and live up to their gargantuan reputation as being one of the most rewarding cars to drive. Once the idea was broached with the better half, she quickly embraced it and her excitement for our future purchase (gave myself a deadline of the first week of October 2012) grows daily.

I’ve recently started up my own business where we deal with large scope government contracts both abroad and in the US, and in celebration of my return to the US after so many years of hardship and rough living conditions it is time to start living, especially because I turned 30 on the 4th of July this year. Whereas with Porsches I feel they all need to be “hot-rodded” to a certain extent before I could be proud to sit behind the wheel, the Ferrari experience is something I am truly looking forward to ever since my first drive in a friend’s 550M in 2003. Being very detailed in my life, I require that what I enjoy also involve a certain level of complexity and high level of forethought yielding a near perfect product – to me, a Ferrari is just that, one fluid thought of artful design with so much passion and inspiration in every facet.

After searching briefly for a 360, I can honestly say I now know that other cars despite performance figures or shapes are simply a compromise falling short for the experience that is so highly sought after which only a Ferrari can sate.
post #233 of 562 Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Not this school. Plenty of the families have a range of impressive cars. Not unusual to see a couple of Porches and Ferraris in the parents parking lot.
I never saw Ferrari at my old school

Just Porsche, the odd expensive SUV RR and Aston Martin's

p.s. I'm surprised people drove these cars, after the bursar stole so much money off of the parents, he's in jail now, he stole quite a lot of money, but that was after I left lol.

And with now being a fully fledged Ferrari Fan, I may start to hate on Lamborghini like I did with Aston Martin (the hate has died down now) with them bringing out a SUV, ruining the supercar brand's image with that. (I know they started with tractor but still, the Countach, Miura, Murcie, Diablo all have that history that's made it what it is).

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun

Last edited by karakal; 07-18-2012 at 08:29 AM.
post #234 of 562 Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
I was always into Ferraris, but some experiences stirred my passion

I loved cars, and especially Ferraris, since the beginning of my childhood memory, mostly because my dad was a gearhead. But some people and experiences really got me fired up about these machines. Last night, I reminisced about this very subject in this blog post:
http://racing-Porsche 918 Spyder Mar... MemoryPalermo

Last edited by Boxer; 08-03-2012 at 08:16 PM.
post #235 of 562 Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by karakal View Post
I never saw Ferrari at my old school

Just Porsche, the odd expensive SUV RR and Aston Martin's

p.s. I'm surprised people drove these cars, after the bursar stole so much money off of the parents, he's in jail now, he stole quite a lot of money, but that was after I left lol.

And with now being a fully fledged Ferrari Fan, I may start to hate on Lamborghini like I did with Aston Martin (the hate has died down now) with them bringing out a SUV, ruining the supercar brand's image with that. (I know they started with tractor but still, the Countach, Miura, Murcie, Diablo all have that history that's made it what it is).
I wish I can see an Aston at my school, I've only seen an BMW m5,Porsche cayman and a lotus haha ,but hey this is Africa
post #236 of 562 Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
mmm

to buy or not to buy
post #237 of 562 Old 08-06-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenbing View Post
to buy or not to buy
.................you only live once
post #238 of 562 Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,194
This is one of the best threads I've read in any car forum, even had that knot in your throat and a tear in your eye moment on a few of the posts. So I will post my first experience with a Ferrari.

I grew up as a service brat but my father retired and most of my youth was spent in northern CA, I lived in Petaluma during the 60s and early 70's and the only sports cars around that I can remember were triumphs, mg's, jags and Porsche 356. Most of the farmer guys in the area had American iron like Z28's, mustangs and mopar iron. All I could afford payments on with my $1.10 per hour dishwashing job was a Opal rally which looked like a golden turd going down 4th street in Santa Rosa. Sports cars have always had my interest but back then they were for old people 30 and up. I joined the navy in 72 and the pay was not much better but I could afford a 1969 triumph GT6+, I drove the car to and from Lemoore NAS to Santa Rosa so many times it could drive by itself. I tried to do all maintance on the car but didn't own a carb sync tool so I took it to an import auto service place and asked a service guy how much to sync those two carbs, he said he would cut me a break but had to sync some carbs on another car first. I followed him to the back of the shop and there sat a plum color 250 California spider. Holy cow I thought, look at all those carbuators! I watched while he checked the sync and made a few adjustments then he jumped in the car work clothes and all and started around the corner to the street, I ran all the way to the front following that car and when it took off I got goose bumps and shivers. That was it, I loved Ferrari's from that point on never thinking I would sit in one much less having the keys to so many models. I like to offer people who are in awe the abiltty to sit in my cars, it makes my day when I see their faces and I'm reminded of what I felt.

Last edited by P2164; 08-14-2012 at 02:03 PM.
post #239 of 562 Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2164 View Post
This is one of the best threads I've read in any car forum, even had that knot in your throat and a tear in your eye moment on a few of the posts. So I will post my first experience with a Ferrari.

I grew up as a service brat but my father retired and most of my youth was spent in northern CA, I lived in Petaluma during the 60s and early 70's and the only sports cars around that I can remember were triumphs, mg's, jags and Porsche 356. Most of the farmer guys in the area had American iron like Z28's, mustangs and mopar iron. All I could afford payments on with my $1.10 per hour dishwashing job was a Opal rally which looked like a golden turd going down 4th street in Santa Rosa. Sports cars have always had my interest but back then they were for old people 30 and up. I joined the navy in 72 and the pay was not much better but I could afford a 1969 triumph GT6+, I drove the car to and from Lemoore NAS to Santa Rosa so many times it could drive by itself. I tried to do all maintance on the car but didn't own a carb sync tool so I took it to an import auto service place and asked a service guy how much to sync those two carbs, he said he would cut me a break but had to sync some carbs on another car first. I followed him to the back of the shop and there sat a plum color 250 California spider. Holy cow I thought, look at all those carbuators! I watched while he checked the sync and made a few adjustments then he jumped in the car work clothes and all and started around the corner to the street, I ran all the way to the front following that car and when it took off I got goose bumps and shivers. That was it, I loved Ferrari's from that point on never thinking I would sit in one much less having the keys to so many models. I like to offer people who are in awe the abiltty to sit in my cars, it makes my day when I see their faces and I'm reminded of what I felt.
Great, great story, Jack. And your first exposure was California !!!!! Oh boy, no wonder.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #240 of 562 Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Jack- The first Ferrari I remember seeing was in Palos Verdes and was a turquoise LWB California in around 1963/64. I distinctly remember thinking how wide the wire wheels looked compared to the 5" wide wheels on Dad's 1961 Corvette (5.5" were a no cost option). They may not have been any wider, but they sure looked wider. Can still remember that car like it was yesterday. Had seen them in R&T, but not in person. Californias were very memorable.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode