How did you get into Ferraris? - Page 10 - Ferrari Life
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 562 Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Carbon- Well, I got part of it right. I actually bought the Dino from John Romano. Got my Italian names crossed. Too much watching the Sopranos on cable, I guess.
Cool, thanks!

I need an Aventador!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 562 Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon View Post
Great thread and it is really good to hear so many fanstastic stories.

For me, as a small boy my heart would race every time I heard the hard-edged scream of high-reving engine, but the cars that always seem to catch my attention had a prancing horse on the front. Episodes of Magnum and pretty much any film featuring a Ferrari were de rigueur. I think the film that finally did it for me, though, was probably Goldeneye (1995). Whilst many were drawn to Bond's Aston Martin DB5, mine was drawn to the brightred Ferrari F355 – and not just because of the driver! When I finally got behind the steering wheel, I knew it was for me. The rest, as they say, is history.

Happy driving

Boon
Very good eye
post #183 of 562 Old 03-11-2012, 12:07 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 68
For me at least I think the affair started as a small child.
However I was not only of course in love with say Ferrari.
I am a nostalgic individual by nature. The first Ferrari I ever touched
or worked on was a 308GT4, which lead to others and so on.

I suppose that in which appeals to me with regards to a 308GTB is different
then say that of a Testarossa or F355. Different Ferrari's represent very different
era's and feelings in my mind. So for me it all depends and on the specific car and
how I and that specific car came to be and thus does not have to be the fastest to be my favorite.

post #184 of 562 Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
Garage
At the ripe old age of 23 in 1980, I was always fascinated with Ferrari and armed with Batchelor's new book Ferrari Buyer's Guide I quickly discovered I couldn't afford any of these cars! I settled on a '71 Jag XKE Roadster which I truly loved and introduced me to the wonderful world of quirky exotics. That same year I flew to Milan and in those days you got off the plane via steps onto the tarmac. Directly in front of me as I came down the steps was a guy in a red 246 Dino. I walked over to the car and he put the window down. I spoke no Italian and he spoke no English. I smiled and said "Ferrari!" He said, "no,no, Dino!" He ran the engine for me a bit and that was it, I've been hooked ever since.
Currently restoring a '77 308 #21039 in Boxer trim. It's got that same beautiful sound as that first 246 that hooked me!
post #185 of 562 Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Vosburgh View Post
At the ripe old age of 23 in 1980, I was always fascinated with Ferrari and armed with Batchelor's new book Ferrari Buyer's Guide I quickly discovered I couldn't afford any of these cars! I settled on a '71 Jag XKE Roadster which I truly loved and introduced me to the wonderful world of quirky exotics. That same year I flew to Milan and in those days you got off the plane via steps onto the tarmac. Directly in front of me as I came down the steps was a guy in a red 246 Dino. I walked over to the car and he put the window down. I spoke no Italian and he spoke no English. I smiled and said "Ferrari!" He said, "no,no, Dino!" He ran the engine for me a bit and that was it, I've been hooked ever since.
Currently restoring a '77 308 #21039 in Boxer trim. It's got that same beautiful sound as that first 246 that hooked me!
Nice story George and welcome to Ferrari Life. The picture of a red Dino on the tarmac in 1980 does sound wonderful. Tell us a bit about your 308 resto

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #186 of 562 Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Vosburgh View Post
George, that's an awesome story! Congratulations! Can you tell me more about 21039? I maintain a database and 21039 was blank(!) until now. Is it a GTB or a GTS? Exterior/interior colors? How long ago and from whom did you acquire it? How many miles at the time of acquisition? Are you the second owner?

I need an Aventador!
post #187 of 562 Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Great story. Ferrari - the common language.
post #188 of 562 Old 04-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Funnily enough, my love of Ferrari started very early. So early that I can't remember my age. Equally strange is that my father (whilst he liked to own a nice car) never had any real love for exotic cars of any kind.

My earliest real memory and the one moment that I think cemented my path to becoming a lifelong Ferrari fan was back in the late 80's, I 9-10 years old. We were on holidays in the South of France and had taken a trip accross the border into Northern Italy. For no particular reason we stopped in a town whose name I cannot recall. We parked up and wandered aimlessly towards the town square. Rounding the final corner we uncovered a massive Ferrari owners meeting. There must have been nearly 100 Ferrari's of every type. Classics right up to modern day supercars. I saw 5 F40s that day - a car that I could scarcely believe existed, let alone ever expected to see in the flesh. Even now 25 years later it makes me smile to remember it. The sheer uncontrollable excitement of what was in front of me .

Today, if you visit my parents house, the poloroid pictures of that day still adorn the walls of my old bedroom. My mother has redecorated the room more than once since I left many years ago, but she says she'll never take down those photos...

This afternoon I called in on my parents and somehow ended up rummaging around my old childhood bedroom. The pictures of the Ferraris I saw on my unforgettable trip to Italy as an 11 year old, and which still adorn the bedroom walls, caught my eye as they always do each time I'm there.

I thought it might be nice to share some of them, so I snapped them with my iPhone.

I got to talking and reminiscing with my parents about that holiday, and they recounted my excitement that day when we had suddenly happened upon a gathering of cars that I had only ever dreamed existed, but that certainly existed in the many models that covered my bedroom shelves at that time.

It was Northern Italy, June/July 1988. But none of us can remember the town's name. I'd love to revisit it some day if I could, so if there are any out there who think they could identify the town I'd be very impressed.

On the way home this evening, it occurred to me that these pictures were taken only a matter of weeks before old man Ferrari himself passed away and only a short distance from where he was probably residing at the time.

Please excuse the quality, these memories have been hanging on my walls for 24 years now.
Attached Images

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #189 of 562 Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,852
Barry- Was it Turin (Torino)?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #190 of 562 Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Barry- Was it Turin (Torino)?
Terry
I was just thinking that. I noticed a sign on one shop that ended in Torino, but I can't find any square or plaza on google maps that looks like this one.

post #191 of 562 Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
I got into ferraris during the Schumacher and kimi era of F1 and from playing need for speed 3 hot pursuit when I was about 10 .
post #192 of 562 Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
I about 4 years old when a i saw the Ferrari 360 Modena, the owner got out the car and i yelled at him " Look dad its Michael Shumacher!" the guy laughed and walked away, ever since then i have loved Ferrari. Also i love the scene in the Fast and Furious when an old rich man with a hot wife sitting in his Ferrari pulled up at the lights in his Ferrari is being cocky.
post #193 of 562 Old 04-16-2012, 02:34 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
This afternoon I called in on my parents and somehow ended up rummaging around my old childhood bedroom. The pictures of the Ferraris I saw on my unforgettable trip to Italy as an 11 year old, and which still adorn the bedroom walls, caught my eye as they always do each time I'm there.

I thought it might be nice to share some of them, so I snapped them with my iPhone.

I got to talking and reminiscing with my parents about that holiday, and they recounted my excitement that day when we had suddenly happened upon a gathering of cars that I had only ever dreamed existed, but that certainly existed in the many models that covered my bedroom shelves at that time.

It was Northern Italy, June/July 1988. But none of us can remember the town's name. I'd love to revisit it some day if I could, so if there are any out there who think they could identify the town I'd be very impressed.

On the way home this evening, it occurred to me that these pictures were taken only a matter of weeks before old man Ferrari himself passed away and only a short distance from where he was probably residing at the time.

Please excuse the quality, these memories have been hanging on my walls for 24 years now.
That must of been amazing, Love the second picture!
post #194 of 562 Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 176
It starts out simple and unrelated to Ferrari. My favorite color is, and has alwyas been, RED! As a teenager I was fascinated by many different exotic automobiles. At that age it is the mystique that's so intaxicating. However, the sound and lines of the Ferraris are like no other. There was no defining moment or experience that represents the cornerstone of my desire to own one of these cars. There was simply the understanding that I would purchase and enjoy one some day. In the intervening years I've had a few really fun cars to drive. I still wish I had my '85 Mustang GT (red of course).

I worked overseas for a number of years in the early 90's and made it a habit of attending every F1 race I could. Attending F1 served to ratchet up my desire another notch. It also unexpectedly turned my wife into an F1 and Ferrari fan! That sure helps when I talk about buying a car. Unfortunately, she didn't get to see too much Ferrari success on the track during the Jean Alesi/Gerhard Berger years. We still talk about how much we hated Michael Schumacher before he came to Ferrari. He did so much to help rebuild the team that we admittedly find ourselves rooting for him at Mercedes (just a little bit).

To me (and my wife), ownership of a Ferrari has always been a foregone conclusion. It was just a metter of when. Someone early on in this thread mentioned that for some people Ferrari is just a part of the DNA. I agree with this whoeheartedly. When asked "why Ferrari when there are so many other options out there?", I can only say a Ferraris speak to me, the others just make noise.
post #195 of 562 Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulferrari View Post
When asked "why Ferrari when there are so many other options out there?", I can only say a Ferraris speak to me, the others just make noise.
Very eloquently put Bob!

Pete
post #196 of 562 Old 05-17-2012, 01:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
I got into Ferrari not too long ago, I was always a Lamborghini first fan (not a fan boy but a firm favourite). I liked the Gallardo when it came out in 2004 and that was my real first sports car I liked. I never really liked the Ferrari 360, 430 and 550/575 until much later on.

I remember watching Mission Impossible 3 back in the Cinema and they blew up them Lambos, that wasn't cool

It wasn't until I saw a grigio silverstone F430 pass me in a village last summer (2010, we never see exotics there) that I liked Ferrari more than a Lamborghini.

And then a few weeks later I was in Cape Town, saw 2 458's on the road and 1 in the dealership and that became my favourite car ever.

And the 458 fuelled my love for not just that car but for the brand. I started to like all the cars I never liked (like the 599) and now like most previous and current models (FF meh :\).

I think just seeing that massive prancing horse on the rear does it for me. And the F430 which I hated early in my youth now I love, it's very weird.

I was in a Taxi in Istanbul and it was at night, everything dark and all the sudden I hear a massive rumble, like earthquake (literally lol) and see the 430 stop beside the taxi. Becasue it was at night all I could see was it 4 taillights (the car was black)... and the acceleration was like music to me. That's when Black became my favourite Ferrari.

Someday...

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #197 of 562 Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

These stories are all great. Please keep them coming.
post #198 of 562 Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 67
As a youngster getting the train from East Horsley station in Surrey which was right next to Modena Engineering the Ferrari main agent who used to have most of their cars parked outside on the forecourt - 308's, boxers and various older models. Used to spend hours looking over them.
The other end of my train journey was usually Milford in Surrey and this resulted in me walking past a house that had PEA 3 - a beautiful blue 308 GTB parked on the driveway.

2013 FF & long term owner of a 1978 512 Boxer blu over black.
previously owned a 1990 328GTS
post #199 of 562 Old 05-21-2012, 05:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboxer View Post
As a youngster getting the train from East Horsley station in Surrey which was right next to Modena Engineering the Ferrari main agent who used to have most of their cars parked outside on the forecourt - 308's, boxers and various older models. Used to spend hours looking over them.
The other end of my train journey was usually Milford in Surrey and this resulted in me walking past a house that had PEA 3 - a beautiful blue 308 GTB parked on the driveway.
That's exactly what I did (when i went for work experience in the morning and came back at night), but except where my dad was staying in a residence tower overseas the car park was full of lambos and ferraris, i would always go down and just stare at the 458 in my picture...

then he moved away to the bosphorus whilst i was with him so i couldn't go and see a 458 when i wanted to no more

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #200 of 562 Old 05-22-2012, 01:33 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Well, when I was a kid my dad bought me a Ferrari 308 GTB Rally from Bburago, it was love at first sight. I still remember plying with that Ferrari in my backyard ALL DAY LONG! It was like this...

Then I got more interested into Ferraris... bought more car toys. I remember I had a F40 also from Bburago WHICH I still have, i'm gonna post some pics of it, and also a Ferrari Testorrsa BRIGHT YELLOW from Matchbox

So I got more interested in Ferraris since then... so, 20 years later, here I am... A true 100% Ferrari fan! Not owner yet, but hopefully someday I will have my own Ferrari... (a real one this time) hehe

PD: I still remember the first time I saw a Ferrari, it was a black 308 here in San José, Costa Rica (no that many Ferraris here)...

Last edited by RicardoRJL1; 05-22-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode