Thinking of trading the Dino....revisited - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 140
Thinking of trading the Dino....revisited

Every few months I consider trading my Dino to get a car that is on my "most wanted list". The BB was one of those cars, and I found the right one for my garage. So I can scratch that off. One of the cars that is still on the list is a Ford GT. I drove a friends car and was amazed how smooth and docile it was around town. Until you put your foot into it. Then a bear is unleashed.

The Dino has been "on the bubble" for a while. I know it is one of the most beautiful designs of all time. But I don't think it has a thrill ride stature. A Ford GT does fit into that category although it would not be consistent with my small stable of Ferraris.

One other car on my list is an F40. But not sure if I am ready to make the investment leap. And I know I have to be very careful to find the right F40.

I know these are all subjective opinions, but would like to hear thoughts on trading a Euro 246 GTS [Cavallino Gold winner] for a Ford GT? From a rarity standpoint neither are that scarce. Both were built in the low thousands I believe.

Steve

Past: GTC, BB, QM, C/4, 355, 360, 550, 575, C/4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I know the feeling

Before I bought the 612 - interested in the Ford GT and Stradale.

Stradale 2 years ago 150 now 130
Ford was 135 now 150
Scag was 165 now 130

The Ford downside was the doors - door clearance as you need a lot of room to get in and out.

Upside it's a Ford V8 - take it to the local Ford dealer and you are good to go.

The Ford will always be a top dog IMO anywhere any day.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Steve- There were 152 Dino 206 GT, 2487 Dino 246 GT, and 1274 Dino 246 GTS cars built and 4038 Ford GT cars were built.

Both have held value very well. The Dino is prettier and the Ford GT is meaner looking and much, much, faster. The Dino is more practical with a usable trunk, while the Ford is strictly show and go with very little luggage space. Moot points, because you have other cars for carrying luggage.

I actually wrote Ford when they were thinking about the car and told them I would buy one if they kept the price below $100K. Would have been my first Ford ever, since I came from a GM family. I bought a Z06 instead, and a good thing, since I would not even have been able to put a suitcase in the Ford.

Nice thing about cars is you can trade your Dino for one and if you do not like it, trade it for another Dino. Even Jon sold one of his Dinos.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Plus you have a BB, and that is like a Dino on steroids.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I know the feeling

Before I bought the 612 - interested in the Ford GT and Stradale.

Stradale 2 years ago 150 now 130
Ford was 135 now 150
Scag was 165 now 130

The Ford downside was the doors - door clearance as you need a lot of room to get in and out.

Upside it's a Ford V8 - take it to the local Ford dealer and you are good to go.

The Ford will always be a top dog IMO anywhere any day.

Predicting future values is a slippery slope. But you did note the upward trend of the GT. The Dino went through a fairly fast rise in values. Maybe a bit too fast. F40 Motorsports [Wayne Carini] has a restored Dino for $285k...that is a bit optimistic in my book.

So from a timing standpoint the Dino for GT trade might be good. But I could be wrong and Dinos keep going up. Hard to believe they sell for 2x nice Boxers when it's half the engine.

Steve

post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Steve- There were 152 Dino 206 GT, 2487 Dino 246 GT, and 1274 Dino 246 GTS cars built and 4038 Ford GT cars were built.

Both have held value very well. The Dino is prettier and the Ford GT is meaner looking and much, much, faster. The Dino is more practical with a usable trunk, while the Ford is strictly show and go with very little luggage space. Moot points, because you have other cars for carrying luggage.

I actually wrote Ford when they were thinking about the car and told them I would buy one if they kept the price below $100K. Would have been my first Ford ever, since I came from a GM family. I bought a Z06 instead, and a good thing, since I would not even have been able to put a suitcase in the Ford.

Nice thing about cars is you can trade your Dino for one and if you do not like it, trade it for another Dino. Even Jon sold one of his Dinos.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Plus you have a BB, and that is like a Dino on steroids.
The Dinos produced add up to 3913....only 125 more GTs than Dinos.

And yes......the Boxer vs Dino is like Barry Bonds at the end vs his early career.

Steve

post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Steve- Plus your particular Boxer is about as quick as my 575M. Not as quick as a Ford GT, though, and you can increase hp dramatically with very little work on that supercharged truck engine.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Steve- Plus your particular Boxer is about as quick as my 575M. Not as quick as a Ford GT, though, and you can increase hp dramatically with very little work on that supercharged truck engine.

I have seen 1000 hp Ford GTs. But I think that is unnecessary. The 600+ stock engine is plenty strong. Another benefit is that the GT has a real airconditioner too. Nice to have here in Florida. I relocated the Dino to NC for that very reason. But then it will linger for the winter. So back it will come.

I may re-enter it in Cavallino to see if I can get a platinum this time around.

Steve

post #8 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Steve- A platinum will drive up the price, so that would be nice. You probably could even sell it there because there are always people looking for nice Dinos. No sense trading unless you get a tax break on trades in FL or NC. You do here in NM.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #9 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitano View Post
Predicting future values is a slippery slope. But you did note the upward trend of the GT. The Dino went through a fairly fast rise in values. Maybe a bit too fast. F40 Motorsports [Wayne Carini] has a restored Dino for $285k...that is a bit optimistic in my book.

So from a timing standpoint the Dino for GT trade might be good. But I could be wrong and Dinos keep going up. Hard to believe they sell for 2x nice Boxers when it's half the engine.
I decided on a 150k number and went on a search - happy I went with the Ferrari.

My goal is to buy a keeper every 2-3 years - the Ford IMO with it's limited run and appeal is one of those keeper cars.

Plus it has the hp comfort and reliability to go wherever you want - cept a tight paring space.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode