Stocks or a ferrari - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 09-23-2011, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 78
Stocks or a ferrari

I'm just thinking. The 140,000 I just paid for my 2007 430 has a better chance of not going down in value or staying constant than taking the same money and putting it into the stock market. :
What say you?

Last edited by CV-4606; 09-23-2011 at 05:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
of course, it depends on when you get in and when you get out. i am looking for a massive downturn by mid-late 2012.l but what do i know?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 24 Old 09-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
I went through the same thing about a year ago. I liquidated my Scottrade account and bought a Testarossa instead. Best decision of my life. Owning that car has been immensely rewarding and I figure it would be almost impossible for it to lose money (fully depreciated). If nothing else, it should keep up with inflation and in the meantime, I get to drive it, stare at it, have pretty ladies drive it, etc. Try that with your stock portfolio.

Oh and the sheer joy of not having my moods altered hour by hour from the topsy-turvy stock market is priceless.

I liken my decision to that of investing in art or some other collectible...only I am pretty sure I get to enjoy my investment a lot more than a stamp collector.

post #4 of 24 Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Don't be so sure, those stamp collectors throw some serious parties.

As for the original question: we will see another crisis coming up. The Euro zone is living on borrowed time. Borrowing money against interest to deal with debt is a bad way of dealing with it whether you are an individual or a country. This Euro zone crisis will affect the US, and the US itself is also just extending it's credit crunch. It will be years before we are out of the trouble.

That doesn't mean it's a bad idea to put money into stocks. I never understand why people say "stocks" like it doesn't matter where you put your money. You're buying a share in a COMPANY. It's all about which company - some (like gold miners) do fantastically well in these times. Crises are great times for people with money to make a helluva lot more. The last few years certainly have paid me dividend.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: 550 Maranello
Present: None
Past: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello,
365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #5 of 24 Old 09-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
07 430 for 140k - that's a good deal.

I have 600k in cars and once thought the same thing - as in last night

Thought about once again today as I checked out a local dealers e-mail with a beautiful Black Testarossa ... Sandy it is at STLMOTORSPORTS

Anyway my thoughts were two kids in college and one on the way - screwed up right

Live your life - I will take my toys vs a different number on a white sheet of paper telling me how much fun I could be having for assets with no smiles.
post #6 of 24 Old 09-23-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner

The 430 was a private sale. The guy needed cash fast and the car was perfect. My research and 2 years looking for a 430 paid off big. Probably saving me 20-25,000 at least.
No downside there -not worrying about depreciation of the 430 for along time. But, yea there's always that question. Like the devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other. I'm still in the game stock wise (mutual funds) but very limited exposure.I can sleep at night no matter what. No control of values no matter how good a company is. Not with guys making 5 cents a share on 100's of thousands of shares. What chance do you have against the electronic computer programs. Not the buy and hold like the old days that's for sure.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
of course, it depends on when you get in and when you get out. i am looking for a massive downturn by mid-late 2012.l but what do i know?
You're not suggesting YOU know when to get in and out are you?
post #8 of 24 Old 09-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Thought about once again today as I checked out a local dealers e-mail with a beautiful Black Testarossa ... Sandy it is at STLMOTORSPORTS
Thanks for the tip. She sure is a purdy 512TR but that's a lot of green they're asking. Heck, I'd almost be willing to sell mine for that price.

Bentley Inventory
post #9 of 24 Old 09-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Quote:
I am looking for a massive downturn by mid-late 2012.

Really...I'd make it much closer. Teetering on it right now IMHO.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #10 of 24 Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Owner
Elite Member

I'm trying to be positive. difficult to tell how much more propping up the gov can and will do, throw in the election and who knows. It is headed for a cliff in any case for sure.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #11 of 24 Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Owner
Elite Member

of course i do. get in low and get out high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV-4606 View Post
You're not suggesting YOU know when to get in and out are you?

post #12 of 24 Old 09-25-2011, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
of course i do. get in low and get out high.
You must be buying now Huh? Worst week in 3 years.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Thanks for the tip. She sure is a purdy 512TR but that's a lot of green they're asking. Heck, I'd almost be willing to sell mine for that price.

Bentley Inventory
Went there yesterday - out of all the cars the 512 had a crowd around it the entire time I was there.

It was ridiculously clean!
post #14 of 24 Old 09-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Owner

Quote:
You must be buying now Huh? Worst week in 3 years.
Some stocks went up but more went down - sky isn't falling and everyone who left their jobs on Friday are going back to work on Monday.

I don't understand why people worry about things they can't control.

You bought a beautiful Ferrari at a great price - don't beat yourself up.

Enjoy yourself and let the ones who make predictions worry about what is unpredictable.
post #15 of 24 Old 09-25-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Some stocks went up but more went down - sky isn't falling and everyone who left their jobs on Friday are going back to work on Monday.

I don't understand why people worry about things they can't control.

You bought a beautiful Ferrari at a great price - don't beat yourself up.

Enjoy yourself and let the ones who make predictions worry about what is unpredictable.
Right you are.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 111
Quote:
I'm just thinking. The 140,000 I just paid for my 2007 430 has a better chance of not going down in value or staying constant than taking the same money and putting it into the stock market. :
What say you?
Not a chance. Your 430 is guaranteed to depreciate. Many stocks are a huge bargain right now, even if the Dow continues to go down a little further.
post #17 of 24 Old 09-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David993s View Post
Not a chance. Your 430 is guaranteed to depreciate. Many stocks are a huge bargain right now, even if the Dow continues to go down a little further.
No offense but a bargain / stocks is an exchange that anyone can buy at the same price.

1 Share of IBM or 100,000 - no difference the guy who owns one has as much right as the guy who owns 100,000 shares.

Try buying 1 part of a Ferrari and see how much fun it is vs buying a whole car that only a few can own.

Ferrari will make 7,000 cars this year - any idea how many shares of stock are bargained?

Great people do great things - owning a Ferrari ... well it doesn't suck
post #18 of 24 Old 09-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
To each is own. And to my own...lets just say I have dramatically increased the cash position in my portfolio.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #19 of 24 Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
To each is own. And to my own...lets just say I have dramatically increased the cash position in my portfolio.
I hope you X100 your assets and truly wish you the best.

100% agree with to each his own - as the author seemed to have a lil buyers remorse.

If he has the means and he made the choice my hope is he enjoys the Ferrari.

Keep in mind he was looking for two years and bought the right car best color at a great price.

Lane - you can't slide into the pearly gates with a stock certificate ... jus sayin
post #20 of 24 Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
I hope you X100 your assets and truly wish you the best.

100% agree with to each his own - as the author seemed to have a lil buyers remorse.

If he has the means and he made the choice my hope is he enjoys the Ferrari.

Keep in mind he was looking for two years and bought the right car best color at a great price.

Lane - you can't slide into the pearly gates with a stock certificate ... jus sayin
No buyers remorse here. NONE AT ALL. I've been around awhile and know before I make a decision that I can live with whatever the UP or DOWNSIDE will be. No second guessing myself. Couldn't be happier. Good health, good family, great wife and a Ferrari. What else could I ask for?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode