F355 Full Repaint, Choosing the right paint shop - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-06-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
F355 Full Repaint, Choosing the right paint shop

Hi Everyone

i will like to Repaint My ferrari 355 and i have hard time to choose the right Paintshop
i am wondering is it any special procedure to paint a ferrari? or whats the best way to do it?, i Visit few paint shops and they all said that it will be a
exceptional Job but i have no idea what to ask or what to avoid

also i have a pair of sport carbon seats that i like to replace the leather but i did not find a shop that can replicate the ferrari logo, note that i live in Cyprus, not many to choose from.

any suggestion will be much appreciated guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I would talk to local high end mechanic shops and see who they recommend. if you ask enough people, one or two should rise to the top. Barring that, i would start with looking at their previous work. they probably have pics of everything good they have done. Find out how long they have been around(not necessarily important). Check whatever organization locally that rates business'. here we have the BBB. Also, go on the internet and google them. You might dig up some complaints or public records where they have been sued.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 9 Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
The difficult part of finding a shop that will do a proper job painting a Ferrari is that most places don't have a strict enough quality control process to get a car repaired and sprayed well enough to look good on a Ferrari. The second issue is related to items like to aluminum boot lid, the materials and procedures required to get paint to stick and look correct on Aluminum is different. Most common body shops don't have guys that are familiar with aluminum.

You want to find a body shop that has other high end cars on location both in process and finished. Almost anything looks good in a photograph when it's shiny. You can;t see the fine details that make or break a paint job by looking at a typical portfolio. You want to see cars in person and have the body shop manager explain they work they've done and the techniques used.

An important question to ask is how long the painters and body men have been with the shop and where their previous experiences are. Most good shops take care of their technicians (if they're also good) and they stay with the company for several years.

Don't go to a shop that seems to have a completely fresh team.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Eddie owns a Ferrari shop on Cyprus and posts on here infrequently. I would ask him.

From another site:

A new purpose-built garage has just opened in Cyprus at Latsia for Ferrari cars, with all the latest computer software and tooling, and factory trained staff. Prestige cars-22486877.

Ask for Eddie.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Last edited by tazandjan; 09-06-2011 at 04:19 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Might also be worth considering shipping it to Italy or the UK to be painted.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

thank you Guys for all the replies, i start searching about the aluminium procedure of painting, guessing if i find out as much as i can then i'll be able to make the right question that will help me decide which shop know whats is doing, i am familiar with a local paint shop,they paint few cars for me before and everything work out fine, they have no previous experience on a ferrari mostly Mercedes and BMWs, they said to me this: i do you any procedure of paint you want just find out about it...
post #7 of 9 Old 09-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Owner
Elite Member

The 360 workshop manual has complete procedures for painting the 360. You can download a copy here:

All Ferraris

Ferrari stopped using Glasurit paint in the 90s and went to PPG paints. These are two part paints, like the Glasurit, with a two part clear coat over the top.

Just checked to make sure, and the instructions, including what types of primer and paint, are indeed in the WSM.

Taz
Terry Phillips
post #8 of 9 Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
The 360 workshop manual has complete procedures for painting the 360. You can download a copy here:

All Ferraris

Ferrari stopped using Glasurit paint in the 90s and went to PPG paints. These are two part paints, like the Glasurit, with a two part clear coat over the top.

Just checked to make sure, and the instructions, including what types of primer and paint, are indeed in the WSM.

Taz
Terry Phillips

thank you Taz, i been looking for an hour now in 360 manual but cant find a paint instructions
post #9 of 9 Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Last part of Section M (M4). page 1105 in the workshop manual.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode