New layout - feedback - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
New layout - feedback

I noticed the group mentioning some forum improvements. Here they are. After some feedback and 1 revision, we'll get this new setup launched Tuesday of next week.
Attached Images
 
Andrew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Looks good Andrew. But should 458 not be included in modern V8s?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #3 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Also, little off topic, but is there any way to upload a picture to a thread using your iPhone?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
 
post #4 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Barry, Yes on the 458.

I will have to test on the iPhone and find a solution.
Andrew is offline  
post #5 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Owner
 
360 Modena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Good job Andrew.

Perhaps list sponsors alphabetically? (I suspect they are listed as they sign-up as sponsors?)

Rather than VA-MD-DC perhaps rename our region to Mid-Atlantic?

My opinions only, take w/a grain of salt, but something to make it sticky with permanency of threads for pics, humor, vids (preferably car related, but you never know with this crowd)

I'm sure you want to minimize content management in the re-design.

Stay well (BTW, was that you in the wedding vid on your other site?)
360 Modena is offline  
post #6 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Owner
 
360 Modena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Also, little off topic, but is there any way to upload a picture to a thread using your iPhone?
Great suggestion Barry, I was thinking the same thing - same with vids would be nice.
360 Modena is offline  
post #7 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Andrew- That looks very good and will cut down on the searching. Once your membership triples, you can always split some of the models apart if you need to do it.

Taz
Terry Phillips
tazandjan is online now  
post #8 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Terry,
Thanks. I have some cool ideas on organizing content once someone drills into those owners area. This forum software has it's limits and I'm prepared to start pushing it and tweaking as I think they've missed the mark on some UI usability aspects.

Regards,
Andrew
Andrew is offline  
post #9 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
My opinions only, take w/a grain of salt, but something to make it sticky with permanency of threads for pics, humor, vids (preferably car related, but you never know with this crowd)

I'm sure you want to minimize content management in the re-design.

Stay well (BTW, was that you in the wedding vid on your other site?)
I don't follow you on the "something to make it sticky"

Have no idea what you mean on the wedding vid...
Andrew is offline  
post #10 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Owner
 
360 Modena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Terry,
Thanks. I have some cool ideas on organizing content once someone drills into those owners area. This forum software has it's limits and I'm prepared to start pushing it and tweaking as I think they've missed the mark on some UI usability aspects.

Regards,
Andrew
Andrew - you are in Mecca.
You can get anything done with all the talent in SFO area!
360 Modena is offline  
post #11 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
I like the changes.
Killer58 is offline  
post #12 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
Great suggestion Barry, I was thinking the same thing - same with vids would be nice.
Yes vids as well would be good. I've lost count of the number of times where I've taken a pic/vid and thought that would be good on F Life, but I'm a lazy git and can't be bothered downloading it to my laptop and uploading it to F Life. (and some of the pics are even of Ferrari's the others are much more questionable )

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
post #13 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Andrew: Looking good.

Is there a way to either hide a particular post to a thread, as sort of an "Ignore" flag?
or "undisplay" the contents of that post as in collapsing it?

I used to, on 'another site' find the only way to do such was just "ignore the user completely" which was great for some reads, but still wasn't good enough.

Sometimes the banter clogs the thought process. [mine included as some of my dribble is regretted too late]

Perhaps over time if enough 'votes' stop a particular post to block, it can be 'removed' entirely from the db via a sql script etc.

I know it alters history, but.....just a nice thought.

r
Attached Images
 

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 09-02-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Granucci is offline  
post #14 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Andrew: Looking good.

Is there a way to either hide a particular post to a thread, as sort of an "Ignore" flag?
or "undisplay" the contents of that post as in collapsing it?

I used to, on 'another site' find the only way to do such was just "ignore the user completely" which was great for some reads, but still wasn't good enough.

Sometimes the banter clogs the thought process. [mine included as some of my dribble is regretted too late]

Perhaps over time if enough 'votes' stop a particular post to block, it can be 'removed' entirely from the db via a sql script etc.

I know it alters history, but.....just a nice thought.

r
I will look into it. I know what you are getting at and it makes sense.
Andrew is offline  
post #15 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 PM
FBI
Owner
 
FBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Look's great. Can we add a part source interchange model specific somewhere and how about an expiry date on the ads section? I see a lot of old ads and most have been sold already.

Cheers

"if everything seems under control - you're not going fast enough."
mario andretti
FBI is offline  
post #16 of 42 Old 09-02-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
The parts exchange would be great for the Knowledge Base you see in the above. This way it is ONE page with information we can update. Rather than a series of posts that are harder to read, organize and search.

Yes on the Buying & Selling section. A second version is being released next week. We expire the ads, perhaps just not fast enough.
Andrew is offline  
post #17 of 42 Old 09-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Owner
 
Night Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Regina, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
I like it so far, my only .02 cents is what about other Auto manufactures sections? Oh like in no particular order Lamborghini etc....and others

Not Bias honestly

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Night Life is offline  
post #18 of 42 Old 09-03-2011, 05:46 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Looks great
champagne612 is offline  
post #19 of 42 Old 09-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Owner
 
Sandy Eggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Encinitas, CA
Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I noticed the group mentioning some forum improvements. Here they are. After some feedback and 1 revision, we'll get this new setup launched Tuesday of next week.
Looks pretty tidy Andrew. I like the "less is more" approach.

I'm glad that Flife has steered away from all the off-topic stuff and kept the board about *Ferraris*!! Keeps the noise and nonsense levels to a minimum.
Sandy Eggo is offline  
post #20 of 42 Old 09-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Owner
 
Sandy Eggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Encinitas, CA
Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Also, little off topic, but is there any way to upload a picture to a thread using your iPhone?
I know "Tapatalk" allows for this but last time I checked it's not free for end-users.
Sandy Eggo is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale