348 Storage issues...need advice! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
348 Storage issues...need advice!

I just recently bought a 1995 348 Spider and I am wondering what I need to do for storage while I am out of the country (Afghanistan). I work 3 months on 1 month off so I will not be driving for 3 months and I really don't want my wife driving MY car. I have been told it needs to be driven so the seals dont get dry and cracked... Is there a way to just put it on jackstands and have my wife spin the tires (all 4) once a week and start it to keep things running? Any help for this would be appreciated, I really don't want her driving this car because I'm sure I will come home to needing a new clutch or worse...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
I think keeping it on a battery charger while you're away should be sufficient.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I will definatley keep it on a charger, but everything I have read makes me think that won't be enough...

post #4 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 111
I store all my toys for nearly 6 months at a time during the long Cleveland winters. Here's what I do and have never had a single problem:

BATTERY: hook the car up to a battery maintainer/tender (not a battery charger).
GAS: fill the gas tank add a can of Stabil.
OIL: I change oil/filter before putting them away so as not to have contaminants sitting in the oil for months on end. You may not need/want to do this as your car is going to up for less time.
TIRES: this one is simple and most people overkill with solutions - pump the tires up to 50 lbs and let them sit on something soft like a carpet remnant. They may flatspot a little but will get round again after a few minutes of driving. I would not advise putting the car on jack stands unless the stands are placed under the suspension for compression (like it was sitting on the ground). The suspension is designed to hold the weight of the car so there's no need to place it on jack stands.
STARTING - I never start the cars while in storage. If one is going to start a car it should run until up to operating temps. Otherwise you're only introducing condensation into the engine and exhaust system.
MOISTURE - You could put a desicant pack in the interior if desired.
INTERIOR - You may want to condition the leather before storage.
COVER - I cover the cars to keep them relatively dust free.
Lastly, I've never had any issues with drying seals, etc. even with 6 months of storage.

Battery, gas tank and tires are the three most important items.

Cheers.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Exactly what I was looking for David. Thanks!!!
post #6 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 260
@Kurby - where are you?? There may be someone knowledgeable on the board who is close to you and could keep it running properly so that things DONT get stuck up.

PDG
post #7 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Jackson , Mo.

Last edited by Kurby69; 09-01-2011 at 10:30 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Master Mechanic
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Greg, do yourself a big favor, either set lots of mouse traps or now even better use a product called Fresh Cab. It's a botanical rodent repellant in a pouch. Place them anywhere you think mice can get in and they can even be placed in the car. They smell like a Christmas tree but mice hate the smell. I see a lot of mouse damage at my shop and sometimes it's bad and very expensive. Mice love leather and rubber products. In fact in the last 15 years manufacturers had to switch from a petroleum release agent to a vegtable based product for rubber hoses and casings. It rings the dinner bell.

Cheers
post #9 of 13 Old 09-02-2011, 03:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by David993s View Post
I store all my toys for nearly 6 months at a time during the long Cleveland winters. Here's what I do and have never had a single problem:

BATTERY: hook the car up to a battery maintainer/tender (not a battery charger).
GAS: fill the gas tank add a can of Stabil.
OIL: I change oil/filter before putting them away so as not to have contaminants sitting in the oil for months on end. You may not need/want to do this as your car is going to up for less time.
TIRES: this one is simple and most people overkill with solutions - pump the tires up to 50 lbs and let them sit on something soft like a carpet remnant. They may flatspot a little but will get round again after a few minutes of driving. I would not advise putting the car on jack stands unless the stands are placed under the suspension for compression (like it was sitting on the ground). The suspension is designed to hold the weight of the car so there's no need to place it on jack stands.
STARTING - I never start the cars while in storage. If one is going to start a car it should run until up to operating temps. Otherwise you're only introducing condensation into the engine and exhaust system.
MOISTURE - You could put a desicant pack in the interior if desired.
INTERIOR - You may want to condition the leather before storage.
COVER - I cover the cars to keep them relatively dust free.
Lastly, I've never had any issues with drying seals, etc. even with 6 months of storage.

Battery, gas tank and tires are the three most important items.

Cheers.
That is very thorough, Dave. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #10 of 13 Old 09-02-2011, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I can't believe how great this site is for people willing to help share their knowledge. I really appreciate all the help. Buying a Ferrari has been a Dream of mine my whole life and now it has become a realization. There is so much that I don't know about these cars, but I think this site is going to help me out alot!!!

Thanks,
Greg
post #11 of 13 Old 09-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 111
You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby69 View Post
Exactly what I was looking for David. Thanks!!!
post #12 of 13 Old 09-02-2011, 05:12 PM
FBI
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
David said it best. That's exactly what I do.

Cheer's

"if everything seems under control - you're not going fast enough."
mario andretti
post #13 of 13 Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Other posts have pretty much covered it.

I normally always keep the cars:
- on a battery condition
- under a soft indoor cover
- dehumidifier running in the garage
- fuel tanks full
- plenty of mouse traps in and around the garage

and then if any of the cars are going to sit for more than 4 weeks, I over inflate the tyres by 5-10 psi to make sure they don't flat spot.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode