Scuderia Rampante - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Scuderia Rampante

I will be shipping my 456GT to SRI for Dave Helms to "sort out" my CEL and SLOW DOWN 7-12 issues, plus to optimize it for what I hope will be many years of trouble-free (ha!) use.

OK, I will settle for being able to drive long distances without fearing it will catch on fire.

I am convinced, based on what I have read and on my interaction with him, that his gold connector kit, properly installed, will be money well spent.

I tried installing the SRI Supremo gold connector kit myself but found it a bit intimidating and frustrating: I am too ham-fisted, I guess: couldn't figure how to get a good crimp, and there is little margin for error.

Others report being able to do it, so maybe I am just psyching myself out; regardless, when I begin to feel out of my depth I turn to a pro.

I raised the subject of belt service (mine is due), and Dave mentioned something I hadn't heard, which is, like most of what he comes up with, nearly mind-boggling: he's working on cad-coated gears to turn the timing belts.

The cadmium coating will resist rust, and Dave says rust causes belt wear (abrasive).

Worn belts can contribute to timing going off, which can contribute to premature belt wear and CEL issues (bah, CEL issues!).

I am glad I discovered SRI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Mr. V - great decision, IMO. It would be very interesting to follow this - I hope you or Dave will take plenty of pics and document it here.

Crimping small conductors IMO, is not a simple procedure that anyone can follow and get good results. It requires a level of expertise and craftsmanship, and if one doesn't have the right tools and experience, a whole host of new problems will be created.

Although I'm a EE, and have the correct hand operated tools from Cannon, AMP and others to do the "occasional" crimping operation, whenever it's time to get a harness built that I know I can depend on, I always turn the job over to a pro harness builder.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 6 Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
Might as well have him put in an SRI hose kit while you are at it. Those hoses will outlive you. Plus the intake manifold tends to work itself loose on the V12s and that can cause problems, and that will get fixed at the same time.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Dave's the best! He's helped me out a couple times when I didn't even ask! Just this week he sent me a some spare hose clamps and a hose to help repair an improperly installed hose (tech decided not to use the clamps that Dave supplied).

Dave - maybe there's a need for some "How-to" videos? I know I would have been completely intimidated by the Gold Kit if it hadn't been for Eric showing me how to get'er'done in person.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 100
Hey, quit bugging Dave would ya.... he's busy putting a new clutch in my 360 :-)
post #6 of 6 Old 09-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Dave is the man Looking forward to hearing the progress.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode