Seafoam use - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Seafoam use

Has anyone ever used Seafoam in their Ferrari's?

I see lots of video's and comments for regular cars but what our cars???

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Well, they have a nice web site: Sea Foam | Gasoline Engine FAQ's

but, it looks like too good to be true magic to me. Not saying it isn't worth a try but not so sure it is for our engines even if 'safe for all types'. I expect ours are better burning and less of an issue.

But your post does make me wonder from those that have tried it.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 08-25-2011 at 04:11 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I've always heard positive things about the product, generally from cars that were measurably gunk'd up. I've got a car here I'm going to run some Seafoam through in an effort to clean up gummed up exhaust valves.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
I've always heard positive things about the product, generally from cars that were measurably gunk'd up. I've got a car here I'm going to run some Seafoam through in an effort to clean up gummed up exhaust valves.

Can't wait for your tech report on this.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #5 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I agree with your post for the most part, this particular cars has about 90k on the odometer, and suspicious compression followed by high leakdown through the exhaust valves. I think this car is the typical candidate for this type of procedure. A modern EFI Ferrari probably does run clean enough to get little reward from this procedure. Only one way to really know though...

post #6 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 247
No experience with Seafoam in Ferraris, but I've used it in regular daily drivers and an Esprit with good results.

What sold me on the product was when the tech at a dealer I worked for awhile back poured several cans into a '48 Frazier that had been sitting 20 years with a frozen block. Three months later the car started with new gas and fluids-no rebuild required. Now a Frazier is no Ferrari, but the stuff works very well.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
seafoam

i have used sea foam in all four of my motorcycles,,,,and got good results with three of them,(one is fuel injected ),,my 1000 was having carburater problems, i thought the seafoam would help clear them out,,,but they had to be taken apart and cleaned out anyways,,,once they were installed,,i ran sea foam through them again,,,with no issues,,,i would consider running it in the 328,,,but everything is running smooth,,,but maybe it would make things even better,,,i dont think it could hurt anything,,,i use FUEL ON in all my bikes,,and in the 328 once in a while ,,this stuff works better than any other additive on the market,,,it atomizes the gas for more efficient combustion,,I think !! lol http://www.fuelon.com/
post #8 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
No first hand experience with my 456GT yet, but check out the following if you have an appropriate candidate in mind ...

Chinese Water Torture (a SeaFoam recipe) - Turbobricks Forums

Be prepared for a lot of smoke.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca brazzi View Post
i have used sea foam in all four of my motorcycles,,,,and got good results with three of them,(one is fuel injected ),,my 1000 was having carburater problems, i thought the seafoam would help clear them out,,,but they had to be taken apart and cleaned out anyways,,,once they were installed,,i ran sea foam through them again,,,with no issues,,,i would consider running it in the 328,,,but everything is running smooth,,,but maybe it would make things even better,,,i dont think it could hurt anything,,,i use FUEL ON in all my bikes,,and in the 328 once in a while ,,this stuff works better than any other additive on the market,,,it atomizes the gas for more efficient combustion,,I think !! lol FUELON Inc.
On motorcycle carbs I use the Yamaha carb cleaner. Disconnect the fuel line, losen the screws on the bottom of the float bowls to drain them. Pour the Yamaha stuff in the fuel line, crank the engine a couple times to pull some up through the jets and then let it sit overnight.

Next day losen the screws on the bottom of the bowls to drain out the carb cleaner, do not run it through the engine! Connect the fuel line back up and it should run like new. A dealer friend of mine taught it to me and I've used it a bunch of times with great results. Even on carbs I've taken apart and tried to clean with carb cleaner spray.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #10 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Well, I bought 2 cans of it, I will try one can in my truck it has lots of miles on it 68,000M / 110000 km on it. I will give it a try and see what it does.

Then if all goes nice, I will try my 348

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #11 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Owner

well, my silverado is a better experiment than the 456. I look fwd to your report, too.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #12 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
FYI, when I used it, doing the above-referenced "Chinese Water Torture" method, I was amazed at the amount of smoke / steam that came out of not only the tailpipe, but various points upstream.

Exhaust manifod to collector; turbo housing: both vented like a volcano.

Surprised me.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Owner

Um, after reviewing that thread V, I'm waiting before trying on a Ferrari. He explains leakage in the manifold and see that all go through the CATs etc., well, I'm a bit waiting for the first rabbit to step ahead....

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #14 of 15 Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ok, tried it on my truck this weekend....pulled out the PCV hose took half the bottle and put in a plastic bottle.

I had the truck running and I let put the hose into the bottle and let it suck it up and she started to sputter like she was going to stall. So I turned the truck off and let it sit for 10 mins or so.

I started my truck and began to rev it to 5K and the smoke that came out of my exhaust looked like my house was on fire....hehehehe. Then I went for a drive and put it in 3rd gear (automatic) once on the highway and let it rev to 4500-5000 rpm for about 5 miles and the smoke was still coming out but not as intense. After that run, I went for a normal stop and go drive around town and OMG I gained about 30% more pep to the acceleration. This stuff did what it said it would.

my truck was starting to develop a slight shake on idle like some sort of a twitch and now.....SMOOTH....

So the verdict, I am very satisfied with the results the company claims it does and for $10....to me thats a good buy!!!

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

Last edited by Magnum6464; 09-07-2011 at 08:52 AM.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Owner

Nice report ... BUT

Good to know, but I'll wait for the 30 day verdict on how you feel.

Would be very good to know after about few hundred miles how it goes,
and
more importantly, I'm wondering just what the heck is in that bottle.

Seems to me if that good it would either be on the shelf or most shops would be using it...

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode