Montezemelo says no to electric Ferrari... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-16-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Montezemelo says no to electric Ferrari...

Online blog, Engadget, had the chance to chat briefly with Ferrari president Luca di Montezemelo and asked him the one hundred million dollar question. Is an electric Ferrari coming any time soon?

Montezemelo’s answer :

“You will never see a Ferrari electric because I don’t believe in electric cars, because I don’t think they represent an important step forward for pollution or CO2 or the environment. But, we are working very, very hard on the hybrid Ferrari. This should be the future, and I hope in a couple of years you can see it.”

Short Video : Viddler.com - Ferrari's Luca di Montezemolo on electric cars - Uploaded by engadget
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
I believe he may be correct, but only in his life time: Time will tell different [can anyone say Asian market and money counts to Ferrari?]

IF this entire evolution of car tech goes the way it probably will and must, there will be as he says, a hybrid, with emphasis on the regular Gas [diesel? hmmm] motor and KERS assist using capacitors. Gas tech will be about for another 30+ years easy. I don't see our car entering the Parades for fathers to point to their children as oddities until much more near 2100.

I don't see toting batteries about to make a few extra HP worthy of joining the green-bling ranks. And I AM huge alternaive energy fan[sic].

BUT, and this is no surprise, if Ferrari ever kept to it's predictions then there would be no CA or FF or such.

Ferrari will jump on the band wagon when it proves commercially daunting otherwise: Rear engins, mid engines, disk-brakes...hmmmm, CUP_HOLDERS!!!, NO Ashtrays, AWD .. yikes. It took some quality thrashing for Ferrari to see those techno advantages...and late. Now, one would think they invented those items.

Welcome to POST Enzo and the Ferrari ka-ching mill. There may always be the racing side, but the new-road side, is taking a different path ..... [I'm off to Ferrari world]

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 08-16-2011 at 01:10 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
You're forgetting cruise control Rik - also an option now. What is the world coming to.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Ferraris are not mass-produced cars and never will be (compared to most 40hr work week, lower income, poverty "Middle class" consumer cars). An electric Ferrari, however novel, perhaps, would be a silent and emasculated car. Imagine the sound of the big Ferrari V---... nothing.... with no sound.

The wealthy will never compromise their fun by going "electric." There will be the 90% of the car consuming population that will. There will always be petroleum-based engines into the near and far future. The petrol-head, race car, vintage car culture will still exist as long as there is a means to afford it.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 05:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by viscount aero View Post
An electric Ferrari, however novel, perhaps, would be a silent and emasculated car.
If you can race it or screw it,

we'll find a way to do it...
post #6 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
LMAO !

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #7 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 05:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
God Bless him.

I think the newer Ferrari's have become far too refined when compared to the driving experience of cars manufactured prior to 1990.

My opinion (flame on), is that while the newer Ferrari's may be fun to drive, they lack the raw feel of driving an older car. My TR is great fun to drive, good road feedback, wonderful symphony notes from the engine, no traction control, etc. Not so much for the 360.

The 360 by comparison is extremely more "civil" and frankly, not as much fun to drive on the edge (although I admit to driving the 360 in Sport mode more often than not).

An electric F-car would be anathema for Ferrari IMHO.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
thank God is right

well,,im certainly glad Luca feels the same way i do,,,,now if i only knew somebody in the Sicilian Mafia,,,that would put a bullit through al gores face,,!!! lol,,,screw global warming,,,screw electric cars, ,,and screw the sierra club,,,screw em all etc,,etc.etc., !!! PS...please dont build a hybid Ferrari,,!!!..unless of course its only a KERS system for the street....!!!!

Last edited by lucca brazzi; 08-19-2011 at 01:58 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 166
“You will never see a Ferrari electric because I don’t believe in electric cars, because I don’t think they represent an important step forward for pollution or CO2 or the environment. But, we are working very, very hard on the hybrid Ferrari. This should be the future, and I hope in a couple of years you can see it.”

Fabulous reasoning. Thanks Goodness. A hybrid though. interesting.

The GTS Rosso Corsa and tan , from Sport Auto. Looking for a manual 360 Modena.
Past Ferraris:
1989 Mondial Cabriolet - Nero/Tan,
1994 ˝ 348 TS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode