So what needs to be done to wake this place up - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 234 Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Admin could consider a Velocetoday.com kind of influence by having weekly give-a-ways and contests and featured columns, a magazine-like front end feature, perhaps. Some car sites do have a front end home page that is in front of the forum sections. It would require that members actively and regularly contribute content --which would, by default, generate a buzz and life to the site, ie, a front makeover. That would set this site further apart from the old model, whoring F-chat. I may PM Admin about that idea.

click here to get a feel for how alive this site feels:
VeloceToday.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 234 Old 08-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 739
My two cents worth: Each time I log in I hit the "New Posts" hot button in the header. That way I can quickly scan the thread topics for the ones in which I am interested and disregard the balance. It saves me time I would otherwise spend in searching the various Forum sections.

Best regards,

Robert
post #23 of 234 Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
^ agree: First new posts, then perhaps what I've posted [which is too much], lastly 'who is online' so I can see the flow.

What makes sites worthy is the amount of QUALITY and easy to find posts
-- banter is quality if left out of the general real info items.
-- is good on like the build threads, BUT isn't it better when you get the long series of pics and presentations without a lot of 'stuff' between.
-- q&a needs to be there, but somehow not necessarily in the immediate body: Thinking on the side as another column.
-- mk_e aside, his build thread makes sense as a continual work in progress: IMO.
-- story/presentation theads aside also.

Web sites have the ability to quickly index and allow --or should be--easy joins, yet it suffers IMO due to lacking search constructs.

The more one can index via thread headers/subject lines [mech and stuff should have standard, drop-down selects] and then in the correct areas makes for a very good site. It also cuts down on the insane number of redundant/similar posts. We all have linked in thread lines to answer the same material. It is why I like the wiki concept for somethings. There should be an ability to set up an index and link items within the text: BUT one has to be able to edit the thread and wordsmith it later: that requires authentication and authority of which I'm quite certain Andrew has little time to address.

WikiPedia is good for the above. I would love to see the write up in some areas, like saying, OIL / BELT / whatever threads. Responses/discussions can use the LINKS and/or have sub-forums with correct headers under each presentation or on a side column. Wikip, uses sub-headers for external, internal, discussions, etc.

That would be my ideal situation for some threads....then again...LOTs of work

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #24 of 234 Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
It aint broke, no need to fix it.

just sayin'....
post #25 of 234 Old 08-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
I think you are dead-on with the critical mass comment but the second comment is a bit troubling.

If I'm not mistaken you've had pretty decent registered member growth in the past year...10%? So you'd expect the post rate or at least the hit rate to be growing at a similar rate and I would think (although this is NOT my field of expertise) that activity is what drives growth and growth activity.
You are dead on, activity drives activity. We have lots of lurkers and user registrations that stop there. By critical mass, I specifically mean unique users posting. It's a catch 22. The community here needs a fair number of new active posters overnight to see the critical mass tipping point.

By steady, if I look at the data, we have a small loyal group that posts regularly. The loyal base (those actively posting) is growing slower than the registered users number.

I have crazy high spam filters so registered users can be problem, even with the filters I'm sure some get through. Here is a log showing some getting rejected. Note the time between each, we'd be getting a new user every 5 minutes or less if I didn't have this in place.
Attached Images

post #26 of 234 Old 08-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Doug, perhaps the guys that only post 5 times then quit do so because they don't get any response or interest in their posts?

And then some here are probably shy about posting for fear of being taken off at the knees, but the atmosphere and membership here just isn't like that. Thankfully, no one here is trying to prove how tough they are or how smart they are.
Yes and yes. We also battle the notion that we are like the other site. I've heard it in person, "I'm staying away from all forums from now on" after a bad experience on other sites.
post #27 of 234 Old 08-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
That was kind of my point with too many places. I post in tect, you post in 550, other's post where ever and the technical stuff you want to see is just hard to find and questions linger without answers while people who could answer simply don't ever find the question.

10 years ago when f-chat was at 10k users there were only like 5 main sections, and then some local social sections and as much as I hate to Give Rob credit for anything, that might have been a better formula for the activity level of the time.

I really like the concept of 308/550/whatever only subforums but that means a lot of stuff that might be general interest gets missed by a lot of people. I also really like the wiki idea and think it could be a really valuable tool.

Maybe the answer is :
General
Restoration
Maintenance
Hop-up

Then do a wiki that is structured for the model specific article type stuff. Write so many pages and you get a free year membership or something a even if it's only taking the time to turn a good thread into a wiki page it would still be very valuable to everyone and since it's a wiki it can be rev'd or added to as new info comes available to create the kind of owners manual that ferrari never supplied.

Something like this might give this forum something unique while pushing the discussions into a more concentrated easy to find , critical mass kind of situation.

Maybe......
All good feedback, keep it coming. Also sheds light on how users interact with the site differently. I always go to New Posts and see everything on the site. I can see how others just go into their favorite section and view content there.
post #28 of 234 Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
It aint broke, no need to fix it.

just sayin'....
Yep. Take it to the next level is what we are striving for. #1 in my book isn't 5 million post, it's having a badass destination for owners to get the information they want and share comradery on the side about non car stuff.

Lot's of good feedback here, lots to absorb.
post #29 of 234 Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Perhaps one could consider this to shake things up .....

A young blonde in a 458 Ill post my photographs when the car is sat on my drive.

Although is 31 considered young these days?
post #30 of 234 Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Its young to me therefore young enough. Looking forward to it, the 458 of course.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #31 of 234 Old 08-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Take it to the next level is what we are striving for. #1 in my book isn't 5 million post, it's having a badass destination for owners to get the information they want and share comradery on the side about non car stuff.

Then Andrew, I'd say "Mission Accomplished". You ARE at that next level.

I can only base my recommendation on my own experience, but I found this site along with Brand X while researching my 360 purchase. While I found a wealth of good information "over there", post-purchase, this site is where I want to hang out. This is where I fit and feel I can contribute according to my own particular interests, access, and mood. I suspect most of us are some derivative of that. Others will follow.

The OP was an attempt to increase the rate of contribution or later to set a record number of posts. The rate of contribution is akin to market share, there's a limit to how fast you can permanently increase that (either from us or from new members) and still maintain the high quality you have. As a comparison, Brand X has a much higher daily post rate, but those of us here would say it’s largely drivel.

So in this particular case, I’d say the Field Of Dreams analogy is appropriate: If you build it, they will come.

You did, they are.
post #32 of 234 Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
I have to admit there I am still a bit confused about some of the sections? ie: There is a classic Ferrari section covering pre '88 cars(like the 328, then there is a another section under Ferrari owners for the 328's etc. I'm never sure which to post in for what type of topics?

The Tech Talk section is supposed to be for general tech, not model or even Ferrari specific. Just general geek stuff for motorheads and gear junkies.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #33 of 234 Old 08-03-2011, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
I have to admit there I am still a bit confused about some of the sections? ie: There is a classic Ferrari section covering pre '88 cars(like the 328, then there is a another section under Ferrari owners for the 328's etc. I'm never sure which to post in for what type of topics?

The Tech Talk section is supposed to be for general tech, not model or even Ferrari specific. Just general geek stuff for motorheads and gear junkies.
Me too ...

Also when a new post hits a old thread it doesn't bump it up to see the new activity.

So an older post with new activity just sits at the bottom and not highlighted.

I think it would help if all unopened new threads and posts were highlighted upon any update and bumped up to the top of a thread.

Am I missing something?
post #34 of 234 Old 08-03-2011, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458ItaliaLady View Post

A young blonde in a 458 Ill post my photographs when the car is sat on my drive.

Although is 31 considered young these days?
Yes ... and since I authored this thread allow me to assert a onerous position and do what's best for everyone especially me - by demanding pictures

A young blonde owner in a 458 is a Kodak moment this place is in dyer need of.

... drum roll
post #35 of 234 Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Me too ...

Also when a new post hits a old thread it doesn't bump it up to see the new activity.

So an older post with new activity just sits at the bottom and not highlighted.

I think it would help if all unopened new threads and posts were highlighted upon any update and bumped up to the top of a thread.

Am I missing something?
Doug, I don't think that's quite right. For example Mark's (mk_e) thread is frequently updated, and "normally" pops right up in the New Posts listing.

I say "normally" because what you may be seeing, and which has been a known vBulletin software bug, is when, for example:

1. Someone posts to Mark's thread

2. In the same section/subforum, someone posts to Brett's thread after the post to Mark's thread

Brett's updated thread will show up in the New Posts, but Mark's will not. Both threads will still be highlighted if you visit that section, but only the latest updated thread for that section will appear when you hit the "New Posts" button.

This bug was there as late as version 3.8.4 of the vBulletin software. Andrew is running 3.8.6 on this forum and I haven't checked to see if it's still there.

Are you seeing something different?

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #36 of 234 Old 08-03-2011, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Doug, I don't think that's quite right. For example Mark's (mk_e) thread is frequently updated, and "normally" pops right up in the New Posts listing.

I say "normally" because what you may be seeing, and which has been a known vBulletin software bug, is when, for example:

1. Someone posts to Mark's thread

2. In the same section/subforum, someone posts to Brett's thread after the post to Mark's thread

Brett's updated thread will show up in the New Posts, but Mark's will not. Both threads will still be highlighted if you visit that section, but only the latest updated thread for that section will appear when you hit the "New Posts" button.

This bug was there as late as version 3.8.4 of the vBulletin software. Andrew is running 3.8.6 on this forum and I haven't checked to see if it's still there.

Are you seeing something different?
I was a non paying member and recently subscribed. - maybe I have an old version.

If I go to new post - I see what you are referencing.

But if I go under tech talk etc - no new posts are highlighted or bump the thread to the top.
post #37 of 234 Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by 458ItaliaLady View Post

yes please.

Adding a pretty girl is about the only thing that can improve the look of a ferrari.
post #38 of 234 Old 08-03-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
yes please.

Adding a pretty girl is about the only thing that can improve the look of a ferrari.
So true - the other place has Zophie Stephanie and a few other female members.

But I promise they do not have a 458 woman owned member.

Someone once said be careful what you wish for - they were obviously mistaken.
post #39 of 234 Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Don't forget barbara and her white 328! those ladies on f-chat are not owners.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #40 of 234 Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post

I don't care for it much either.

The idea was to keep the owners area for owners only so the content quality is high and relevant. This was one of the mods ideas and I still agree with it to an extent.

I then said, "What about potential owners that have PPI type questions?" to which we left the other three sections for non-owners to still post about a car and get feedback from owners.

Suggestions on where to go from here? Maybe combined those three generic sections and call it "Pre-purchase Q&A"

The tech section then becomes "Projects" and encompasses big tech threads

Owners section remains the "wiki" like area for answers that don't need repeating like, "how do I reach my oil filter on model _______" (bad example perhaps)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode