Mondial 500 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Mondial 500

and you thought there was only one. Interesting pic in the new Auto Italia. Also a cool article on the dino engine. probably my fav italian auto mag.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 739
Dear Ed,

Great find! This car has an interesting history. It was delivered to a gent by the name of DuPont who had traded in another 500 Mondial (Series I) with the serial of 0424. In an effort to get around French tax or carnet issues he asked the factory to give his new car (which was going to be 0564) the old serial number, and the factory obliged. The first race was at the 12 Hrs of Hyeres on 29 May 1955 where it wore # 8. My car wore #10 in that same race. His car blew the motor in that race as did mine. It was returned to the factory and repaired. In the next outing DuPont broke the motor again and when the factory finished that repair DuPont refused to pay. So Ferrari kept the car. After a while they painted it red (over the French racing blue) and kept it in their museum for a couple of dozen years. Thereafter it went to a gent in souther France who stuck the car in his garage for another couple of dozen years. It finally ended up in the hands of Pierre Mellinger of Finland who commissioned a very careful sanding job to remove only the red layer of paint to show the original color. I think his guys did a great job, although you can see in places where they sanded through to the aluminum.

Best regards,

Robert
post #3 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Hello Robert, Sounds to me like you know the history and more about this car than your forme GF ? Seriously, ...very interesting profile, to say the least. Jimmy

post #4 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Owner

Good to hear from you Jimmy, are you still stateside or back in Japan?

Here is a shot of the red topcoat before sanding. You can see patches of blue underneath.

Best regards,

Robert
Attached Images

post #5 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

i can't remember if you ever told me the story of why your car is blue with #8? I'm sure the guys would like to here it anyway.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Good to hear from you Jimmy, are you still stateside or back in Japan?

Here is a shot of the red topcoat before sanding. You can see patches of blue underneath.

Best regards,

Robert
I have returned to the chaos.

Cannot imagine all the work involved to "restore" and save the original paint. Thanx for the pic and valuable story. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #7 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
i can't remember if you ever told me the story of why your car is blue with #8? I'm sure the guys would like to here it anyway.
Dear Ed,

In October 1955 Gino Munaron traded my car back to the factory after driving it through the summer of 55. He obtained the car from the original French owner Francois Picard after Picard suffered a bad accident in his 750 Monza.

At the same time that Enzo was looking at this used blue race car he received a letter from the President of Venezuela stating that one way air fare would be paid for any race cars that Enzo would send to the 1st Grand Prix of Venezuela (the presidente wanted to put Venezuela on the world map of important car races). That decision was a no brainer.

The number assigned to the car at that race was #8 and the car was to be driven by factory team driver Harry Schell. At the beginning of the race Eugenio Castellotti destroyed the differential of his racer and halfway through the race the team manager pulled Schell in and substituted Castellotti who then stormed out to take fifth place overall and a class win for cars under 2 liters.

When the time came to decide what livery to put on my car when we finished the conservation process I felt that that race was a unique situation where a factory team Ferrari race car was painted blue instead of red so I chose that color and that race number. I know of no other time where that happened.

As an aside I cannot overstate how good a race driver Castellotti was. In my 2 liter car he turned a fastest lap over that race course of 1 minute 49 seconds. Fangio driving a 3 liter Maserati turned a fastest lap of 1 minute 47 seconds.

Photo below is of Harry Schell driving in that race.

Best regards,

Robert
Attached Images

post #8 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Dear Admiral,

As always it is a great pleasure to read your posts.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
more recent shots of 0564(0424)MD - pics by Franco Lombardi
Attached Images

post #10 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Dear Ed,

Great find! This car has an interesting history. It was delivered to a gent by the name of DuPont who had traded in another 500 Mondial (Series I) with the serial of 0424. In an effort to get around French tax or carnet issues he asked the factory to give his new car (which was going to be 0564) the old serial number, and the factory obliged. The first race was at the 12 Hrs of Hyeres on 29 May 1955 where it wore # 8. My car wore #10 in that same race.

Robert
Here is a picture of our 0556(0446)MD at the 12 Hours of Hyeres when it ran w/ the "other" FRB Mondial. Gino Munaron (without hat)
Attached Images

post #11 of 19 Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Fascinating histories. My, how I love the barchettas. They are the thing that I am looking forward to most in the Mille Miglia - it is just fantastic to see, smell and hear these cars in the flesh. I drove directly behind the Ferrari owned 750 Monza last year in the Tribute and this May I'll be driving amongst them again but in the MM! I haven't seen any 500's there yet though - did any participate in the original and/or the storica events?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #12 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Two pics of the on-board camera driving into Rome. That was fun... 7 o'clock in the evening through Rome's notorious traffic jams. The police didn't stand much of a chance trying to help us through... As much as the Italians love classic cars, when they want to get home they want to get home!

Fortunately for pre-war MM participants, they arrive much later in Rome, I would imagine we would have had some boiling engines otherwise...

Sorry for the hijack.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Images

post #13 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Thanks Admiral, i don't remember hearing that story. Although i'm sure you already told me it.

post #14 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Wondering when Bryan is gonna publish that book?

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #15 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 05:54 AM
Owner

I know, I know - and I havne't forgotten your offer of expertise, JB!

Here is the best pic we have of Castellotti in our car (bottom pic)
Attached Images

post #16 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

post #17 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Dear Admiral,

As always it is a great pleasure to read your posts.
+1.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #18 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Owner

Dear Onno, you asked "did any participate in the original and/or the storica events?"

Three of the 500 Mondial Series II cars ran the 1955 MM and at least one ran in 56. Most recent storicas have had at least one of these models. Attached is a photo of 0564(0424)/MD with Pierre Mellinger driving in the (I think) 2009 storica. As is obvious this was before the careful removal of the red overcoat of paint.

Best regards,

Robert
Attached Images

post #19 of 19 Old 03-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Owner

Yes definitely 2009 MM.

Copyright unknown

Robert
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page