Upgrading/Replacing Sound System: Becker or ??? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-24-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Upgrading/Replacing Sound System: Becker or ???

What are the general impressions of installing an aftermarket sound/entertainment system in a Ferrari? Mine are negative, as they would be with nearly any aftermarket installation in any car. Aftermarket installations whether cheap or high end just don't seem to "blend" well, and most of their displays are garish and look like Christmas trees.

However, for those of us who have older Becker units, we don't seem to have many options if we want to upgrade or replace a nonfunctioning sound system.

Becker have essentially ceased to exist since the takeover by Harmon, and even their newer Nav systems from the 360's and 430's have not had a software upgrade since 2004.

So for those of us who have the older Becker units in our cars, and are searching for an upgrade path, we have a choice of buying a used or refurbished newer style Becker, with software that is obsolete, and in all likelihood will never again be updated; or we forget Becker, with their nice Ferrari logos and OEM looks, and go aftermarket.

So are our only two choices bad and worse?

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-24-2011, 06:21 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I don't have a problem with aftermarket stereos, I install them fairly often. I have a problem with most people doing the installs and their approach...sometimes equipment choice.

Alpine, Kenwood and Pioneer have some very nice equipment available right now. An Alpine Imprint head unit/Amp and Focal speakers will make a fantastic sounding setup (if you get the whole Imprint package and tune it).

Due to the head unit location, a GPS unit will be tough to pull off. Probably best just to get a seperate and removable Garmin to handle that option.

post #3 of 12 Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Josh, I think the double DIN nav units come the closest to blending well in our interiors, and their 7" touchscreen displays aren't as bad as some of the Sony's, Clarions and other head units of just a few years ago. What I'd like to find is a commercial head unit with these features:
  • Programmable screen(s) so the Ferrari logo and script could be added for an OEM look
  • AM/FM/HD radio
  • Sat radio
  • Navigation
  • Onboard, solid state multimedia storage (no DVD or CD player needed)
  • OBDII capability with builtin software to display engine & car parameters
  • Bluetooth for hands free phone, etc.
  • USB port for up/downloading media
  • Preamp outputs
I think what I've just described can only be done, currently, with a CarPC (and I have one that does all this in my other car), but I'd like to think that one of the major entertainment players will recognise the need and come out with a consumer based system that does all the above, and is "solid" (ie you don't have to be a Windows geek to keep it running).

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Master Mechanic

I was thinking of options until I saw "OBD". We've been able to program the Lambo Logo into some head units so that shouldn't be too tough.

The other options have nearly become standard fare.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Josh, what are the high end head units that you'd recommend that can do everything but the OBDII reading?

I suppose carrying around an iPad for the OBD stuff wouldn't be prohibitive. But from a quick scan of what's available, it looks like wireless OBDII data acquisition for the iPad/iPhone hasn't quite "arrived" yet anyway. 10 second refresh times? Ugh. I get data refreshes in the sub-second range via a wired serial port from my EMS to the CarPC, but only when Win7 is behaving.....

post #6 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Master Mechanic

I prefer the Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT. It has a great navigation setup (done by Garmin) and the software is very stable. The Kenwoods are nice but the software seems to be a little glitchy.

You do have to buy a seperate "tool" to process the logo from a CD and upload it via the USB though.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Interesting, of all the nav units I've looked at, that's the one I thought came the closest to doing what I want, as well. Just didn't know if there were any other stones I'd left unturned.

I'm not a fan of the motorised screens in these things, and I wish they had their own onboard storage, instead of iPod interfaces, but I seem to be in the minority on those preferences. Everybody seems to love iPods but me.

To be sure, it looks like they offer some limited onboard storage via SD card, but ideally, I think it should be something like a little 1.8" 40GB SSD. Of course that would drive the already high price up well over $2K, too.

Maybe the next generation will have the fixed screens, and the onboard storage....

post #8 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 12:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
http://beckerautosound.com/plug_play_ferrari_upgrade.html

this is what we can do for your guys, we also have BE6104 radios for sell / upgrade
post #9 of 12 Old 05-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
I have a Reuss system in my 360. It uses the standard head unit, adds a sub woofer up front, and all the electronics are in a subfloor up front that is unnoticeable. The ultimate sound system has an incredible sound. All the speakers and electronics are custom engineered to match the acoustics of a 360. Very expensive but worth it.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
I cant adjust my bass and treble in my 2009 F430 Spider. Any ideas on how to find the adjustment. I can only find Balance and fader
post #11 of 12 Old 09-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Bumping this thread. The stock Sony Cassette radio in my 98 550 Maranello needs to be replaced. I did contact
Becker Auto Sound and am waiting for a reply. Just wondering whether there are any
other CD radios that will fit without modification.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
ferrari upgrade

this is what we have to offer, we also have BRAND NEW 6104 radios for $549.00

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode