Algar Philadelphia - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Algar Philadelphia

To All,
A few years ago I decided to get the service on my 348 by an authorized dealer only because of the paperwork.....nothing else. I never go to a dealer for service; its against my grain.
I dropped the car at Algar for a 15K service because I was taking it to South Florida for the winter. They had the car for about 8 weeks until I called and asked if they sold the car! They told me it was my fault that I did not tell them I was taking it to FL!! The car was serviced the week later and delivered to my house in Boca Raton. I drove the car for about 2 months and I still had an oil leak so I found a local mechanic who works on all high end cars. He inspected the car and noted that the cam seals are leaking and that is typical and it needs the 15K service. When I told him about the service I already had done he shook his head. He explained to me that the cam seals get replaced during a 15K service weather they need it or not and in this case I needed it. (Oil leak before and after Algar).
We called Algar to complain and I do not need to tell you what happened. The only thing that happened was I payed 5K to store my car for 8 weekds at the dealership.
The car runs great now and I found a great mechanic!! I would not buy a cup from ALGAR!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
This is the first bad thing I've heard about them.

I've never had them do service for me so I can't comment there, but I buy parts from them form time to time and they've been quite good to deal with.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
+1 to mark. of course that does not diminish your experience. thanks for bringing it to our attention.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
Why are you bringing it up now, and not when it happened.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear about it. I have only heard good things about Algar.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
What did I miss?

"A few years ago...."?

From a first time, one time only poster??

Sorry and no offense intended, but I'm having trouble taking this seriously.

"Fear of guns is a sure sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, 1906.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Well, I [think] I understand the OP's intended directlon here, and without taking this either way as to right or wrong, I must confess I am not sure I got the entire story.

- gave to them to do a 'service', which was what exactly? Oil change or preping for winter vs tropic FL climate? I mean if they changed the belts etc. it would be a bargain at $5k.
- Cam seal leaks are not uncommon on a 348. Might just have come due. You did mention it was a year ago. But that would be in question to the above. IF just an oil change I see no reason they would have fussed with that area. IF they did a full service [pricing seems a bit low for that job] AND they did not do the cam seals correctly, then perhaps an issue.
- 8 weeks at the shop. I probably would have been inquiring in between a couple times just to touch base, but not jerk their chain: Some people at dealerships you don't pi$$ on and besides your barber it's the mech/service mgr on your exotic. It's not unheard to be in a shop for 2x longer than their 'really quick out the door of two weeks ' : Been there done that many times.
- Did your 'new trusted mech' qualify that they did a poor job or it was due to wear and time. I'm still inclined to think the latter.

Getting satisfaction [long] after the fact, for a non-damaging problem probably won't get far, especially when they are a few hundred miles away.

BUT, I do agree. I like my trusted indep. mech more than most dealerships. AND I must say after having used dealerships in the first few years of owning Ferraris, that I have not ever been 100% satisfied.

And as said, I don't know I have the entire story to comment otherwise...but that's my take.

PS: Oh, ya' did I say welcome to FerrariLife

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 03-24-2011 at 02:59 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdon53 View Post
"A few years ago...."?

From a first time, one time only poster??

Sorry and no offense intended, but I'm having trouble taking this seriously.
Similar thought did cross my mind when I first read this too.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #8 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Sorry...15K service is oil and filters plus a lot of inspections, that's about it. Cam seals is not part of that deal unless you specified it or they noticed it during inspections. You also suggest that they hadn't started the work immediately. I'll assume it was out of driving season in PA an they didn't know they had a limited time to get it done. Once you told them you needed it in Florida they jumped on it. Could it be that they wanted to get the car back to you ASAP because of the miss-understanding? Unless I'm reading it wrong Algar delivered your car to Boca some 1500 miles away after doing the 15k service you requested.

So
15k service
partial winter storage (they thought)
delivery to Florida
for $5000...That's one hell of a deal.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #9 of 22 Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Well thats a hell of a first post

Umm Welcome to F Life, sorry for your experience I think JK

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #10 of 22 Old 03-28-2011, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

to all

I have had the car since 97 and just joined this site a few weeks ago and thats why it took so long to tell my story.

I was told that the cam seals were included in the 15K service. If they were not, the mechanic should have seen it and called me. (when the engine was hot you could smell oil and see the light smoke)

The car was delivered to FL from Algar and the smoke and oil smell was still present. I took the car to another mechanic and in 3 minutes he knew the problem and corrected it. Afterwards he mentioned that there was no way this car was serviced.

At this point it is spilt milk and I am so over it. I am on to the next adventure.

Oh....and I did not make this up like some think..
post #11 of 22 Old 03-28-2011, 04:38 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 70
Your post read to me like you just dropped it off and expected them to read your mind. Doesn't happen and that is not Algar's fault.

The other people are wondering why you feel like you need this attention now.

You would have gained more momentum by introducing yourself and then asking if anyone else had a bad/similar experience during that time-frame.

Attacking a well-respected dealership like Algar (there aren't that many of them) is not the way to have started here.

With that said:

Welcome to F-life.
post #12 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 16

Had a terrible experience with Algar and got hollered at on this forum for voicing my opinion . The reason I am back is because I was next to a 512 at a red light with Algar dealers plates. I was rolling in line driving about 20mph and when I looked inside the speedo was on zero and the tach was just fine. He was on his way to the shore which is about 70 miles from home....go figure. At least someone else is getting screwed this time.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Service

Ferrari is a license to steal, when it comes to parts and service .
post #14 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 357
The key question is what does the algar invoice show they did......$5k (less shipping) sure sounds like a major service not just oil and Filter and if it was a major service then cam seals are part of that. I would say based on price charged that your story is accurate and the FL mechanic was absolutely correct.

Shipping $1500 max....more like $800

Just looked at service documents that came with my 348 spider: 15k service (their statement) at Lake Forrest Ferrari was a Major Service (cam belts, cam seals, etc) and was $5k (several years ago).
Labor was $3262

Last edited by FCBanned4Life; 04-03-2013 at 05:24 AM.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

just read back through this whole thread and i don't think you got yelled at. If fact, i think it sounds quite restrained considering the dealers rep and your lack of one (from so few posts). Everyone seemed to welcome you with open arms, and extend their condolences for your plight. With a dose of skepticism, which I think is healthy, specially for a first post about a two year old incident. Don't have a chip on your shoulder, this is not f-chat. we aren't out to get you. just the facts. Your experience is a valuable data point.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #16 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Owner

I may be new here but I think he got treated pretty badly:

He dropped his 348 off for a 15K service (sounds like that had to be clear and no minds needed to be read) and based on all my 348 documents from Lake Forest a 15K was a Major Service which included cam seals and was priced at $5k just as he stated he paid, this contradicts the poster who attacked by saying a 15K is not a major. After 8 weeks he called and whether he told them he was going to FL or not should have made no difference on a 15K service. Point is it sat for 8 weeks and nothing got done until he called. No one drops off a Ferrari at a Ferrari dealer and says nothing and even if that was possible a reputable dealer would have found out what was up, not wait 8 weeks for a call.
He gets car after paying $5K and cam seals are leaking.....I would be pissed!! Independent mechanic says they weren't replaced which confirms that he got ripped off. And so what if it didn't happen last week.

Again he got grief he should not have gotten and I was really surprised....it reminded me of petty crap on FC, really did.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

you do realize it was his first post and it was about an incident that happened two years prior to the post at a dealership most here have never heard a bad word? I think it was perfectly reasonable for people to be skeptical. Specially without hearing anything from an algar rep. As long as it was in a nice way. I would hardly say he was attacked. But it doesn't matter, i think it's been cleared up and it stands as a bad experience with algar. duly noted.

post #18 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Owner

I did realize those items.......remember my 1st post trashed a Texan
post #19 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Not trying to upset the cart but wish to make sure future readers don't misunderstand.

15K service is not a major according to the owners manual scheduled maintenance chart.. I'm happy to scan and post it if that will help. I do recognize that any service can be turned into a major if time is an issue and the owner elects to have it performed. A major on a 348 includes engine out service with a cambelt and tennsioner replacement. No Dealer n the planet offers a 348 Major service for anything near $5000. Most started at around $8000 in that time frame. I'll also note that some independants offered "Majors" near that price but limited costs to cambelt and fluid service only.

I reiterate what Wetpet mentioned. I certainly don't see any hollering at all and apologize if my post was considered any type of redaction.

Smiles all around.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 04-03-2013 at 04:46 PM.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
My experience working with Algar was nothing but a seamless transaction. Enjoyed the process!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode