compression readings - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
compression readings

I am new to this forum and I am interested in buying a 355, the question that I have is the owner has run a compression test and the #4 cylinder has a compression reading of 200 while the #8 cylinder has a reading of 224, this is more than the usual 10% that I have always heard is acceptable. I am not familiar with Ferrari's engines so I would appreciate anyones comments as to whether this difference is acceptable or not. The owner said that the car has had a complete valve replacement about last year. Thanks for any help and comments in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 04:05 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 70
1. PPI from a reputable shop.
2. Paperwork
3. PPI from a reputable shop.
4. Paperwork
5. PPI from a reputable shop.

See where I'm going here?

Cylinder leakdown is just as important as compression on a 355 and don't trust someone's word that a valve/guide job was done. It is tremendously expensive and you'd better have proof in paperwork from a shop that knows what they are doing.

Were the headers replaced? Why did it need the valve work in the first place?

Start researching. If things don't add up (you will feel it) walk away, save some more, and buy a well sorted car.

DO NOT RUSH THIS OR YOU WILL NOT ENJOY YOUR FERRARI.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I do have paperwork stating on the invoice "Customer states engine noise #3 cylinder lack compression r&r engine for inspection. #3 exhaust valves burned as a result of worn valve guides, replace all valve guides with updated guides, perform complete valve job, replace timing belts & tensioners to complete 30k service." This is directly from the invoice, it was performed at 24,566 miles in 2004, the car now has 30,000 miles.
I realize that a PPI is necessary but dont want to do that unless I am realy sure that this may be the car that I want to buy. Thanks for your pesponce.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 AM

A PPI will tell you if it is the car to buy. A very good investment. You might do two or three of them before settling.

If that is the last invoice for service, the car is overdue for a belt service (5 years max with regular usage) and its fluids.

I wouldn't even start it.

What are the compression readings from the shop after the work was done? They should be on the invoice. If not, the problem was not solved. I would expect to see notations of piston and cylinder liner condition for (at least) the initial complaint cyl as well as manifold testing/replacement recommendations since they are tied directly into the failing valve guide problem.

If not, this engine might still have a serious issue just waiting for you.

Last edited by T.C.F.B.; 03-15-2011 at 05:07 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

I will have to contact the seller to see if he has the compression readings after the valve job, however he did send me more info, a general maintainance was done on October 9, 2008, and the last invoice that he sent for service on 8-9-2010, but that was for an AC problem. he sent the following compression readings that were done in December or 2010, #1-215, #2-210 #3-207 #4-200 #5-220 #6-221, #7-222 & #8-224. i don't have documentation on the readings only his information. I will try to get more info from him. Again I would like to thank you for your input, I appreciate it .
post #6 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 05:41 AM

The numbers are close enough that they aren't horrible, but there is a large margin of error for the tester and a lot of different schools of thought on how to accurately check compression.

What shop did the work?

It might be a good car, but make sure that you have 20K argued off the price and available in your bank account for anything unforseen. If you don't spend it after purchase, you need it standing by for other issues.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

I will contact the seller and get the shop that did the test, I am surprised at your comment about the 20k, I know that the Ferrari's are high maintanance but didn't think it was that much.

Thanks for your help.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Oops, I do have the shops name, it was Norwood Performance in Dallas Texas. I contacted the seller and requested more info on this vehicles documentation.

Thanks.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 AM

I've had to disappoint a lot of new owners who bought shiny cars that made a lot of noise only to find out that they just bought someone else's problem.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 06:00 AM

Norwood is a good shop.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks10 View Post
I will contact the seller and get the shop that did the test, I am surprised at your comment about the 20k, I know that the Ferrari's are high maintanance but didn't think it was that much.
Budget $2500-$3000/year for maintenance and "things." Some years you might not need all that much but one year... You will.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Since nobody else has jumped in, let me just +1 everything thunder said. They are probably not responding cause he pretty much covered it. If norwood did the work you are probably good to go on that at least.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #13 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
What year is the 355 you are looking at, and if you don't mind, how much are they asking?
post #14 of 17 Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Your difference in compression appears to be from bank to bank. All 4 cylinders in each bank are within tolerance which would indicate that you're seeing a difference in camshaft timing.

I'd have to agree that Norwood is a top shop and has been around for a long time, they're well qualified to perform this type of work and to do it expertly.

The fact that every cylinder is at/above 200psi means a lot. the concern is generally when the numbers dip below that point.

I do agree that it's ready for timing belts again based on time due to the low mileage. This is probably why the car is up for sale and is very common.

post #15 of 17 Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Since nobody else has jumped in, let me just +1 everything thunder said. They are probably not responding cause he pretty much covered it. If norwood did the work you are probably good to go on that at least.
Did not jump in to save myself from looking stupid. He's in good hands. Jimmy
post #16 of 17 Old 03-17-2011, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

I am thankful for all of the replies to my question, I appreciate all of your help. This car is a 1997 with 30,689 miles, the asking price is $51500. The engine out was done in October 2008. This is all that I have at the moment, I have requested more paperwork but haven't gotten it yet.

Again thanks to all of you for your replies, I appreciate the info.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-18-2011, 04:05 AM

Run anything and any questions you have by any of us before you commit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode