Clear Bra, advised or waste of $$ - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old 02-21-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
Clear Bra, advised or waste of $$

Hello folks-

Newbie question, I am buying a new one and was advised to get a Clear bra for it, cost is $2,495 or $2,995 depending on how high up I want it to go. Did any of you get one of these and glad/mad you spent the money on it?

Thanks,

Sully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Understand your sentiment, but a waste of money for me, that is. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 56 Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,207
I had it put on another car, and although it protected the paint well, IMO, it really detracted from the appearance of the car.

Perhaps if I'd completely covered the hood with it, instead of only halfway it would have been better, but it's tough to know when/where to start & stop with the stuff.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

post #4 of 56 Old 02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
never had one. don't like the looks. rather touch it up periodically or repaint affected area.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 56 Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
On the other side of the coin if you are a driver meaning you like to drive your car quite often and your surroundings comes with bugs, stones, sand and worst of all tar when repairing roads then it is a must.

I put one on mine you can not see it unless you are looking 6 inches from the car even then it is difficult to tell. I have been very thankful on many occasions that I had it on, bugs don't stick on it as much sand is like nothing to it and I have heard many stone hit the car with no markings at all. It is well worth your peace of mind.

I only put mine half way up my hood I dare you to see the line
Attached Images

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #6 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
Thanks to all, you are right Night Life, I cant see it and a beautiful car too. The car I just bought is the same color/interior combination.
post #7 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 92
I have a clear bra on my 360 spider and I'm very happy with it. But I think the price you'll have to pay is way too high. Shouldn't it be close to $1000?

Current: 2003 Challenge Stradale, 2007 599 GTB F1
Past: 2001 360 Spider, 1995 F355 GTS

Challenge Stradale VIN registry
YouTube.com/MikeSupercars
post #8 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
The clear bra technology has got a lot better. The materials are becoming more transparent and less unsightly.

I agree that it is best to wrap entire panels and cut it off in the center for ultimate cleanliness.

Perhaps this is the technique your installer intended to use and why the price is slightly higher.

I have customers with Lamborghinis that have had the entire car wrapped. It works VERY well for protecting the finish.

I tend to prefer leaving the cars natural and deal with a repaint after a few years of diriving as well, but I have seen the benefit of the product also.
post #9 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Night, unless you have a product i haven't seen before(pun intended), which is certainly possible, bring your car over and i'll point out the line from ten feet away in a milisecond. I think the best answer to the op is to go see a car this installer has done and see what you think. After all, this is the most subjective of opinions. Either you like em or you don't. There is always a trade off.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #10 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 111
I had it installed on just the front bumper cover of my 360. It's virtually invisible and definitely protects from chips/road rash. You may want to consider some level of compromise between doing a full application to bumper cover, hood, etc. and just apply it on the very front leading surfaces. If I recall correctly mine was only about $350 to install.

Cheers.
post #11 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
My 360 came with a clear bra and it does indeed protect the paint from chips and minor rubs and scrapes. However, the bra itself is susceptible to those very same things. And unlike the paint, scratches cannot be buffed out.

While I’m glad the car has the bra, I’m not sure I’d have it installed now. Especially for the price you’ve been quoted.
post #12 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
My Scud came with it installed at the dealer before it had been on the road (By far the best time to add if you can) - I've been delighted with the results so far... Highly recommended.

My CS had it added after about 4 years, unfortunately that ment I already had a number of marks and minor stone chips that remained under the clearbra, however I did not add any more chips to the collection :-)

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"
post #13 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Owner

On the topic of price, the 2k+ is about right from a Ferrari Dealer... I think you say you are getting a new Ferrari (Congrats) in which case i totally recommend you get it fitted - It will save a lot of heart ache for a relatively (To the cars value) low price

Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

post #14 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

i like the idea of doing the bumper cover and lower spoiler. If it's wrapped completely around with no seam.

post #15 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I like mine seamless also Ed.
post #16 of 56 Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
when I was an initial owner I looked into a clear bra. I needed a custom one for the Mondial T as there are none readily available.

Time went on and I have lived very well without it even though I know, when I hear the rock hit, that there is another ding on the front. After many years, when I purchased my second Ferrari that had easier issues to cover [456] I still thought about it, but alas as others, it detracts from the looks, it doesn't help against the big items, and is much easier to touch up.

I'll post later, but, the 456's front looks like an old timer in much need of a color touch up: Think Grecian Formula

I put these two cars on the bucket list for a do over at some point which will bring back all the OP's original thoughts, once again, as to a cover up or not: I will not.

Somehow it feels more like I am driving them and knowing that maintenance is part of ownership...albeit, EXPENSIVE.

Yes I still cringe at a hit. It isn't the coolest to see the chip when others want it to look good. But, to a driver, it seems......right.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #17 of 56 Old 02-24-2011, 03:49 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I have never bothered. Stone chip respray every few years is not major $$$ anyway.
post #18 of 56 Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Owner

These guys might be worth checking out for clear bra:
FERRARI Clear Bra Paint Protection Film, 3M film, 3m film protection, 3m protection, auto paint protection, car paint protection

Also found a cool video showing a Scuderia getting a matt black wrap if you are into total protection :-) : YouTube - Ferrari Scuderia Full Matte Black Wrap by NorthWest Auto Salon Seattle Auto Detailing

post #19 of 56 Old 02-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
That video is interesting. I like the end results, especially knowing it's temporary.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #20 of 56 Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Owner

I agree, it's fascinating to watch, I'm not sure I'd do it, but my wife is dead keen on wrapping her M3 in a Hello Kitty wrap. What can I say, it takes all sorts ;-)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode