F1 shift question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
F1 shift question

Hi, first time Ferrari owner, but a long time car enthusiast. I just bought a 99 360 f1 Modena. I absolutely love the car and it drives/feels amazing. The only question I have is related to it's low speed/ low rpm downshifts/upshifts. When I am downshifting/upshifting to 3rd and mostly 2nd I notice what sounds like a gear grind. I have no issues under full throttle up shifts, with no grind.

Is this something anyone else has heard or experienced? Is it common or a concern? I have it scheduled for a service in a week, but wanted to check with you guys first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
Welcome!

I've never heard a grind, so to speak. Your F1 is one of the earlier implementations of this technology so the shifts are slower then the more recent cars especially at low speeds where there can be a noticeable "clunk" sound during the shift (Least thats how my old 360 used to sound) It was never a problem and i believe thats how it should sound.. However the shift should never sound like a gear grind which could indicate that the F1 clutch needs to be replaced... How many miles is on the car? The clutch's on on earlier F1 cars did need more frequent replacing so that could be your issue.. Glad you have a service scheduled

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"
post #3 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Never heard a grind before on any of my F1 transmissions. Heard a mechanical 'click' lots of times, but it didn't sound like something was crunching.

Glad you're taking it in to be checked...

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti

post #4 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Definitely needs to be checked. Also check to see if your F1 system received any of the later updates.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's. I had searched the net and not noticed this symptom reported before so I'm not surprised at the comments. At worst I'm hoping clutch orsychro or tcu.

Dermot, the car has 13k miles and was serviced shortly before I purchased it and no reported issued at service.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Owner

13k miles sounds like new clutch time for early F1 transmissions - I might be wrong (Hopefully :-) ) but I've seen a few 360's that have needed a replacement at that time.

Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

post #7 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
Have the clutch reading checked. Change the gear oil . Have the Ferrari Tec adjust the the shifting with the SD2. You can program or make adjustments to the system. He can road test and make adjustments at the same time.
Thanks
Alex.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Alex, I will deffinately mention your recommendation.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 77
I have an '01 F1 360. The orginal clutch lasted 20,000 miles. I bought it with 22,000 miles on it. My TCU is one of the later ones after August '01. I have never heard any grinding of the gears. After the car is 'warmed up', the shifting is superb in the sport mode.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
Sounds like the syncro rings

I agree with most of what's been said above although it's difficult to diagnose without being there. The F1 behavior you're describing does not sound like a clutch problem but does not sound normal regardless. Sounds more like syncro function to me -- especially in view of the fact that 2nd (and 3rd to a lesser extent) always see the heaviest usage. I hope a factory trained tech with factory SD2 or SD3 computer will be checking your F1. If not, you're asking for trouble.

There's almost no adjustment available for F1 function with the original '99--'01 TCU. The '02 and later TCUs provide much improved function and flexibility so you should at least consider upgrading. Changing gearbox oil is also a really good idea, especially if you're not sure when it was last changed. That would explain syncro function problems too. Then change it once a year or every other engine oil change, whichever comes first.

My '02 F1 coupe has functioned flawlessly with zero issues in over 4 years, but it sees regular usage and service at an authorized dealer. Congratulations! The 360 F1 is a fantastic car. Lucky you my friend!!

"Fear of guns is a sure sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, 1906.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track2live View Post
the car has 13k miles and was serviced shortly before I purchased it and no reported issued at service.
Means nothing and the problem can be a whole host of known issues, neglect, and/or abuse.

Not being a dick or anything just realistic. Suggestions here mean nothing until it is diagnosed by a trustworthy and known servicer (and DON'T assume that a dealership is.) Tell us where you are and we can get you where you need to go.

If you think you are hearing a gear grinding or something that you've never heard before. Stop driving it and get it to the shop.

Think of it this way. Each mile that ticks up on the Odo, make a ka-ching noise for each hundred that you will be spending on repair...

Last edited by T.C.F.B.; 02-18-2011 at 11:22 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 AM

Can't speak directly for the F1 as I don't own one, but I know from the variety of manual cars I've owned over the years that when they are cold, the sycros can be a bit slow. Does it do it only when the car is cold or also after the car and tramission are fully warmed up?
post #13 of 16 Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 111
I'll basically echo what most others have said: a grinding sound is not normal and needs to be diagnosed by a qualified tech. I've put over 44,000 miles on my '99 360 F1 Modena and have never experienced what you describe. Once you get it straightened out I'm sure you'll enjoy many miles and years of trouble-free F1 enjoyment - I have.
Good luck.

Last edited by David993s; 02-19-2011 at 10:09 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.F.B. View Post
Think of it this way. Each mile that ticks up on the Odo, make a ka-ching noise for each hundred that you will be spending on repair...
Wow... Sorry... Forgot what I was talking about for a minute...

'for each THOUSAND that you will be spending on repair.'
post #15 of 16 Old 03-19-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Resolution:
The person who had it before me put Syn in the gearbox when he had his local guy service it before putting it up for sale.. My guy put the dino oil per spec in the manual and all is well. Someone hit the easy button.....

Thanks for all the responses though, I've learned some from all of this. I also got to research each and every possible solution while I was waiting for it to be serviced.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Owner

Glad it was solved (and cheaply :-) )

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode