Ferrari Sued by Ford Motor Co. Over F-150 Name - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Ferrari Sued by Ford Motor Co. Over F-150 Name

Ford Motor Co. sued luxury automaker Ferrari in federal court today, accusing the exotic sports car company of cybersquatting and trademark infringement for allegedly misappropriating the famous F-150 name.

The lawsuit stems from Ferrari naming its new Formula 1 racing car the "F150," and creating a Web site Ferrari F150 - Live from Maranello, presentation of the brand new ferrari single-seater, according to paperwork filed in U.S. District Court in Detroit.

Ford has suffered irreparable harm to its F-150 trademark, the lawsuit says, and the Dearborn automaker's legal team wants a judge to block Ferrari from using the trademark in the U.S. That includes importing, manufacturing or selling any producing that uses the F-150 name.

Ford also wants unspecified damages and for Ferrari to give up any revenue and profits earned in the U.S. through the use of the F-150 name, according to the lawsuit filed by Southfield lawyer Marc Lorelli. And Ford wants $100,000 in damages pursuant to the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which protects against Internet domain names that confuse the public over the true source of products and services.

Ford has used the F-150 name on its flagship, full-size pickup trucks since the 1975 model year.

"This is an important trademark for us and we've spent many years and lots of advertising resources on establishing this name and getting the trademark," Ford spokeswoman Anne Marie Gattari said. "It's one we take very very seriously. It's one of our flagship vehicles."

The automaker obtained a trademark registration for F-150 in 1995, according to the lawsuit. Since 1997, gross revenues for the F-150 have topped $180 billion.

The lawsuit comes days after Ferrari announced it was naming the new Formula 1 race car the "F150," which is a nod to the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy, according to the automaker's website.

"When Ferrari announced the name of its race car as 'F150,' Ford asked Ferrari to change the name," Gattari said. "Ferrari did not respond in a timely manner, leaving Ford no choice but to take legal action to protect its important brand and trademark rights."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 03:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
The wound is nearly 50 years old but the pain seems to remain. Winning Le Mans from 1966-1969 was not enough for Ford it seems.

A great way for Ford to drum up pubilicity for its truck, particularly such an important flagship model. Although if I were Ford I would be more concerned about the Ferrari FF...

When Peugeot complained about Porsche using its trademarked, allegedly, middle 0, Porsche simply renamed its 901 to 911. Perhaps the new F1 should be known as F-151?
post #3 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
What about the F-911? I'm sure that would make you smile, Vitalone.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
What about the F-911? I'm sure that would make you smile, Vitalone.
Onno
Indeed a wry smile. Although Porsche may then follow Ford's publicity stunt to sue Ferrari. Although probably not as they have been on the receiving end too (Peugeot felt customers would be confused between a Porsche 901 and a Peugeot 404).

Leveraging off a truck brand for your F1 GP racing car, now that is serious business. If the Ferrari F-150 does badly sales of the truck would naturally fall. Everyone knows this, it is obvious. Although the flipside is that if the Ferrari F-150 does well this may help truck sales. But then this could lead to more confusion. For instance, basking in the success of the Ferrari F-150, customers order the Ford and are shocked to end up with a truck and not a F1 GP racing car.

Still Ferrari should count its lucky stars. Jensen is out of business. Otherwise Jensen may also have got cross with Ferrari for using the famous "FF" moniker from its Jensen Interceptor FF...
post #5 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I think Ford's principal issue is that the FIA might prevent the Ford F-150's from doing any miles outside a Grand Prix weekend.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
For instance, basking in the success of the Ferrari F-150, customers order the Ford and are shocked to end up with a truck and not a F1 GP racing car.
This really is the heart of the issue, Ford much be very concerned that customers are going to go into a Ferrari dealership by mistake and end up with an F1 car with no room for a gun rack. It is potentially a mess of biblical proportions.
post #7 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I think Ford's principal issue is that the FIA might prevent the Ford F-150's from doing any miles outside a Grand Prix weekend.

Onno
Or Ferrari might try to enter the Nascar Truck series.
post #8 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Last month, Ferrari announced it was naming the new Formula 1 race car the F150, a nod to the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy.

"To further prove it is acting in good faith and that it operates in a completely correct manner, Ferrari has decided to ensure that in all areas of operation, the abbreviated version will be replaced at all times with the full version, Ferrari F150th Italia," Ferrari said in a statement today.

In its lawsuit, Ford asked for unspecified damages. Ford said it had suffered irreparable harm to its F-150 trademark and the Dearborn automaker's legal team wants a judge to block Ferrari from using the trademark in the United States. That includes importing, manufacturing or selling any product that uses the F-150 name.

Ferrari said the F150 name will never grace a commercially available product.

"Ferrari believes that its own contender in the forthcoming F1 championship cannot be confused with other types of commercially available vehicle of any sort whatsoever, nor can it give the impression that there is a link to another brand of road-going vehicle," Ferrari said in the prepared statement. "Therefore it is very difficult to understand Ford's viewpoint on the matter."

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #9 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
rats

Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #10 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
This really is the heart of the issue, Ford much be very concerned that customers are going to go into a Ferrari dealership by mistake and end up with an F1 car with no room for a gun rack. It is potentially a mess of biblical proportions.
And you'd have to drape your dead white-tail buck across the rear wing. Just wouldn't be right!!

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #11 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Owner

Yet, I wonder what Ferrari would do if Kia came out with an Enzo SUV

or

Honda an F40 Snowmobile?

Wonder what lawers in Ferrari would be doing? I believe they would sue the pants off of anyone remotely suggesting anything Ferrari in another product....

Ferrari was dumb in this case....simple google would have made light bulbs go on if not the fact they had history from the '60s

dumb

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #12 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Yet, I wonder what Ferrari would do if Kia came out with an Enzo SUV

or

Honda an F40 Snowmobile?

Wonder what lawers in Ferrari would be doing? I believe they would sue the pants off of anyone remotely suggesting anything Ferrari in another product....

Ferrari was dumb in this case....simple google would have made light bulbs go on if not the fact they had history from the '60s

dumb
Or GASP heaven forbid any Ferrari Clubs in the US tried to use the Ferrari Name or Logo!
post #13 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
Or GASP heaven forbid any Ferrari Clubs in the US tried to use the Ferrari Name or Logo!

ok, THAT would neeevvverr happen

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #14 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
"In its lawsuit, Ford asked for unspecified damages. Ford said it had suffered irreparable harm to its F-150 trademark and the Dearborn automaker's legal team wants a judge to block Ferrari from using the trademark in the United States. That includes importing, manufacturing or selling any product that uses the F-150 name."

How exactly Ford could suffer irreparable damage from even the merest hint of been associated with an F1 car beggars belief - Really the world is run by lawyers, sad :-(

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"
post #15 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Does it have a Tubi?

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
post #16 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 483
F 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermot View Post
"In its lawsuit, Ford asked for unspecified damages. Ford said it had suffered irreparable harm to its F-150 trademark and the Dearborn automaker's legal team wants a judge to block Ferrari from using the trademark in the United States. That includes importing, manufacturing or selling any product that uses the F-150 name."

How exactly Ford could suffer irreparable damage from even the merest hint of been associated with an F1 car beggars belief - Really the world is run by lawyers, sad :-(
Funny thing is, the first thing I thought of when I saw Ferrari F150 was "That's weird. Fords going to sue for sure". The F150 is a Trademark. The law is very specific when it comes to those. I can't open a fast food place next to the Golden Arches and name it MacDonnies. I WILL be sued, and will lose. Funny that Ferrari is getting a taste of its own medicine. They sue everyone if they use a Cavallino horse or the Ferrari font. Even our own FCA wasn't officially sanctioned until recently and there were legal issues about FCA merchandising IIRC.

current Ferraris: 1995 F355 Spider, 2000 360F1 Modena

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted.
post #17 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bst1 View Post
Funny thing is, the first thing I thought of when I saw Ferrari F150 was "That's weird. Fords going to sue for sure". The F150 is a Trademark. The law is very specific when it comes to those. I can't open a fast food place next to the Golden Arches and name it MacDonnies. I WILL be sued, and will lose. Funny that Ferrari is getting a taste of its own medicine. They sue everyone if they use a Cavallino horse or the Ferrari font. Even our own FCA wasn't officially sanctioned until recently and there were legal issues about FCA merchandising IIRC.
I don't doubt your reaction, but the sheer juxtaposition of the two vehicles is hilarious: one, a pick-up truck, perhaps the most popular in its class, millions sold; the other an F1 race car that is not available to the public, i.e., no one could or would ever confuse the two. IMHO.

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
post #18 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by bst1 View Post
That's the same thought I had.....it was a bad idea to name it the F150 and they will lose the right to use that name in the US....but Ford will probably not get the damages they are after. As you say, US law is very clear about usiung some one else's trade made or anything that sounds or looks like it. The law is also clear that if you know about an infringement and do not take action then you lose your claim to the material so ford really has no choice but to sue. I think.....I know we alway have to have a trademark search done before we name anything so we don't both get sued and have to re-launch with a new name which cost a ton of money.
post #19 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
I plan to start a class-action lawsuit for people who bought a Taurus thinking they were getting a Lamborghini.
post #20 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
The wound is nearly 50 years old but the pain seems to remain. Winning Le Mans from 1966-1969 was not enough for Ford it seems.
Exactly right! It was only coincidence that after Enzo turned down the sale of Ferrari to Ford, the Mustang went right onto the drawing board - logo and all!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode