?'s about 308s and 348s - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
?'s about 308s and 348s

Hello Gents,
As I near closer and closer to achieving my goal of owning and experiencing the wonders of a Ferrari, a few questions have arised. Thank you in advance to all respondents.

For both the 308 and 348.
1. Are there any particular years to avoid? If so, why?
2. What advantages or disadvantages are there to owning either model?
3. I am mechanically inclined and plan on doing most of the maintenence and repairs myself. What, if any, are some of the special tools required to properly maintain either of these cars?
4. If given the opportunity, which model would you purchase and why?

Thanks again.

OIF 1, OEF 3, and OIF 8 veteran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Suggest you read the Buyers Guides for both as a starting point:

Ferrari Buyer's Guides - Ferrari Life

Personally I would go after a fiberglass 308 GTB. Early 348s and 2 valve fuel injected 308s (81-82) are generally to be avoided.

The 308 will be easier to maintain on a DIY basis.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-24-2011, 05:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Boxer is right. A 308 will be easier to maintain yourself not least because you don't have the engine out cambelt change issue to worry about. There weren't very many fibreglass 308s that went to the US though so you might struggle to find one.

Having said that, I don't do my own maintenance and have a (1992) 348 that I have owned for 11 years now - and I've loved every minute of it.

Jonathan

post #4 of 15 Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Definitely avoid the 308GTSi ( 2-valve fuel injected) and the early 348's were reputed to have gearbox troubles but it seems most of that has been handled by now.

I prefer the 348 because it has a much better chassis than the 308 and is a better car for spirited driving. The down side is that it doesn't have that "classic" appeal the 308 has.

The biggest issue with tools and DIY maintenance on both of these cars is the timing belt service. Both cars require a valve adjustment and to do the job correctly cam shaft timing adjustment is needed which requires a degree wheel, dial indicator and some experience.

As Boxer mentioned the buyers guide resource here will be of great use.

post #5 of 15 Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
I prefer the 348 because it has a much better chassis than the 308 and is a better car for spirited driving. The down side is that it doesn't have that "classic" appeal the 308 has.
From road reports that I have read, the early 348 suffered from a less benign chassis than the 308 with snap oversteer close to the limit. The 308 has the same chassis as the 246 down to the same wheelbase. Both 246 and 308 are know for their superb handling. In my experience of fast driving in my '75 308 GTB versus the '92 348tb that my father used to own, the 348 was a lovely car to drive but the 308 seems to have the more communicative steering and chassis with better handling. With more power and new technology the 348 may have more out right grip.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFssft1911 View Post
Hello Gents,
As I near closer and closer to achieving my goal of owning and experiencing the wonders of a Ferrari, a few questions have arised. Thank you in advance to all respondents.

For both the 308 and 348.
1. Are there any particular years to avoid? If so, why?
2. What advantages or disadvantages are there to owning either model?
3. I am mechanically inclined and plan on doing most of the maintenence and repairs myself. What, if any, are some of the special tools required to properly maintain either of these cars?
4. If given the opportunity, which model would you purchase and why?

Thanks again.
I like all the answers above, and I've never owned a 308.

What I could say is the 348 and 308 are about the same amount of DIY effort but in different areas. I would expect you will be doing more 'body' type maintenance on the older model than engine, IF, ONCE, the engine is properly in working order. IF not, you might be getting a nightmare both in terms of body and engine.

The 348 might require some new bearings etc. Hill has made some great inroads there, but the front wheel bearings on that model is very expensive. Just look at Ricambi's site as it shares the same bearing with the F40 and IIRC TR etc. The Buyer's guide is a very good guide and what I exactly used in helping my determination.

The toughest item here is what is in order and relative to the terms of the sale. IF you truly are doing your work, then you can more easily make such a purchase.

Remember there are almost NO bargains in Ferraris. You get what you pay for and the 348 while not fully depreciated IMO is still a bit better buy in terms of tech and power, but as said, not necessarily in terms of 'classic' thought of looks.

I like them both, but personally in terms of the 3x8 series would absolutly opt for a very late model 328...

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #7 of 15 Old 01-24-2011, 07:42 PM
FBI
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
All great replies. Really can't add anything that hasn't already been said but that you really just have to go out and drive a few.

I'm no mechanic but I have no problems rolling up my sleeves and getting dirty on the little stuff but for the big stuff I bring it in to the proper techs.
Sound's like you know what your doing around engines so these wouldn't be any different as long as you have the proper tools and shop manuals.

Anyway's enough babble time for some pics...

Paging Neon we need a 308!

Cheers
Attached Images

post #8 of 15 Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
Thank you so much for the information and words of wisdom. It's always great to hear from owners and obtain their opinions. The buyers guides were something that had slipped my mind, which makes perfect sense considering their valuable wealth of knowledge. I'm certain I'll have more questions develop as I research these two cars further. Thanks again.

OIF 1, OEF 3, and OIF 8 veteran
post #9 of 15 Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Comes down to what you really are looking for they are both beautiful machines, one a true classic 308 and sexy the other unmistakable Ferrari and uber exotic 348. I agree the 308 will in the end be less expensive to maintain but the 348 is not that bad either but you do have to do an engine out 3 to 5 years. 308 is fun car to drive and spirited the 348 is much faster and will make the hairs on the back of your head stand up especially when it`s screaming at 7500rpm Just sayin

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #10 of 15 Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
It's amazing how people single out 1 particular car such as the 2V,I've had mine for 5 years,allways had it serviced ,at the proper intervals.never so much as a hickup.I guess anyone can buy a car who refusses to even give it an oil change,then the first time she lets you down IT'S A HUNK OF CRAP! MY Dad gave me some great advice before he passed away,If Man made it,it will fail.He was a mechanic for 50 years,tought me alot about cars and People( Sorry for the Rant )
post #11 of 15 Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
You are correct. A well kept car of any sort will last well. There is a certain 500 Mondial here that can attest, but it did require from what I read attention.

All I mentioned on the older vehicles, and I could post several dream projects on someone's part, now getting make over well in excess of the purchase price and especially where the purchase price was way too high.

I don't post pics of other person's cars in repair without their permission, but [going to the shop tom/Saturday] there are five, 308/328 models there getting tens of thousands of repairs where they could have bought a good example starting right off the cusp. Matter of fact [and I like his style] one owner mentioned that the repairs were so high that he is going to just 'hot rod' it and make a sleeper out of it.... should be fun. Even if not a real example of the Ferrari it should have been.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #12 of 15 Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
308/328 models there getting tens of thousands of repairs where they could have bought a good example starting right off the cusp.
I think this view was correct a couple of years ago but times are changing, Rik.

Really good ones are not as easy to find as they used to be. These cars are now between 36 and 21 years old, and by far most of them have seen an increase in usage and mileage in the last decade and a decrease on money spent on servicing as they have trickled down the social ladder by being more affordable. They used to be numerous but now quite a few have been basterdised or hot-rodded, or have been written-off. The ones that are around mostly have lots of mileage and start getting close (or over) to an engine rebuild. Low mileage cars are now getting seriously expensive (example #1 is the 2,400 km 328 that fetched over 60k Euro EXCLUDING commission and EU Taxes (!!) in the RM Auction at Maranello in 2009) because they are so rare. Fibreglass 308 Euro models command 70k Euro even with 100k kms on the dial.

What I am saying is: these cars are now seriously moving into classic car territory, and spending tens of thousands on them will start to become more and more common. Prices will definitely go up, although not enough to earn back your money on a restoration.

If you can find a good one which is unmolested, now is the time to buy, particularly 308s.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #13 of 15 Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I would agree with JazzyO. Early 308s are definitely now moving into classic territory and now is a good time to buy.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
All great replies. Really can't add anything that hasn't already been said but that you really just have to go out and drive a few.

I'm no mechanic but I have no problems rolling up my sleeves and getting dirty on the little stuff but for the big stuff I bring it in to the proper techs.
Sound's like you know what your doing around engines so these wouldn't be any different as long as you have the proper tools and shop manuals.

Anyway's enough babble time for some pics...

Paging Neon we need a 308!

Cheers
Okay, thanks FBI! Since I couldn't compete with that background, here's one of mine sitting in the garage. As for the 348 vs. 308, it is really all up to personal preference, but read up on them first. Ferrari Life has great reference manuals available.
Attached Images

post #15 of 15 Old 02-24-2011, 05:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Shiney!

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode