Prospective 360 owner. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-23-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
Prospective 360 owner.

Hi all. I am planning retirement next year and researching my first Ferrari. Due to price, I reckon I will be able to afford a ten year old 360 for about $75.000. Assuming the yearly maintenance expenses arent more than $5,000 I think I could do it. I also think the manual would be a better purchase in terms of lower cost, lower maintenance, etc. Thoughts or advice about the 360 would be appreciated. Thanks. -Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
Welcome to the forum Bob.

I love my 360 Spider (manual).

I suggesst you do a search, you'll find numerous posts that discuss the maintenance costs. There's no real consunsus refarding the cost differential between the manual and F1.

I am budgeting about $2000 a year for mine. The big ticket item will be a major (to include belts, bearings, and tensioners) every 3 years or 30K miles. Else, plan on having a rainy day fund for contingencies and you're all set.

Keep us informed as you progress through the process and again welcome.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Suggest you take a look at the 360 Buyers Guide:

Ferrari Buyer's Guides - Ferrari Life

I had a manual 360 Modena for several years. Great car and highly reliable.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-23-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for your input. I was wondering how it would be to keep it as a daily driver indefinitely? Also, I assume the manual is more trouble-free and cheaper to maintain/replace than the F1 paddles? -Bob.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbernst929 View Post
Thanks for your input. I was wondering how it would be to keep it as a daily driver indefinitely? Also, I assume the manual is more trouble-free and cheaper to maintain/replace than the F1 paddles? -Bob.
Overall the manual is very trouble free. Certainly less to go wrong than on the F1. I used my 360 as a DD on and off for a couple of years. Never had an issue and it is more than up to the task.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-24-2011, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks Boxer and everyone who answered. -Bob.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
I've owned 3 360's and have loved then all. Highly recommended as a easy to live with Ferrari. One thing to add is make sure the 360 u buy has had the 3 year major service "The major" done. This service should be done every 3 years or so and involves a belt change which is a lot easier in the 360 then for example the 355 which needed an engine out to perform the service. (The 360 has an access port to the belts thru the firewall behind the seats) - As always a great service history is a must for this type of car.

Best of luck!

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"
post #8 of 12 Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
It's a great car!

My 360 experience (over 4 years & 27K miles) has been overwhelmingly positive. It's been a terrific car in every way, completely reliable and much more fun to drive than I ever imagined. The numbers you're using for price and maintenance sound pretty close. Remember it's *always* cheaper to buy the best car you can find (not necessarily the lowest miles), regardless of price. The really clean & well kept examples may cost a little more but are always better in the long run. Baring unforeseeable catastrophes, $5K per year average for maintenance should be more than enough.

If you simply prefer shifting for yourself, by all means look for a manual 360. However, I must say the F1 in my '02 coupe has performed flawlessly with zero issues of any kind. It's astonishing smoothness and effortless precision are amazing and especially advantageous in heavy traffic. It's been my personal experience and my observation of other 360s that a properly driven F1 is every bit as reliable and costs no more to maintain than a properly driven manual. As for clutch wear, either can be driven to the same very high mileage or abused into premature failure.

The devil with these cars is always in the details so do your homework and ask lots of questions. Best of luck in your search and don't forget the pictures!

"Fear of guns is a sure sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, 1906.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Very helpful info folks. I too am debating between an F1 and the manual.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
My 360 is an F1....It has performed flawlessly! I Love my car!

"Monica" F430 Spider (Sexy Curvy & Italian)
post #11 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Just a question, what is the most miles anyone has gotten out of a 360? I am Ru-ral and would love to have one as a daily driver, but still be able to keep it for a while.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtownman View Post
Just a question, what is the most miles anyone has gotten out of a 360? I am Ru-ral and would love to have one as a daily driver, but still be able to keep it for a while.
I basically used mine as a daily driver for 2 plus years. Never had a problem with it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode