Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 Old 01-16-2011, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
612 vs 430?

Picking up on the F355 vs 456 GT thread, prices on the 430 and 612 are now nearly identical.

I know they are different cars for different purposes, but which would be your choice? 2 seat mid engine V8 or 2+2 front engine V12?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post

I know they are different cars for different purposes, but which would be your choice? 2 seat mid engine V8 or 2+2 front engine V12?
You just have to have both. That's all there is to it.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #3 of 78 Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
You just have to have both. That's all there is to it.
But sometimes you need to make choices.....

post #4 of 78 Old 01-17-2011, 02:10 AM
Owner

Quote:
But sometimes you need to make choices.....
I totally agree - and the choice is both.

Salve,
Capo

post #5 of 78 Old 01-17-2011, 02:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
I picked the 430 Spider, simply because I think a Spyder is cool. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #6 of 78 Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
I picked the 430 coupe, but it wasn't a hands-down choice. Understand the 612 is a fantastic GT, I've just never been all that fond of its looks. Given the 456, now you're talking...
post #7 of 78 Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Well, I think I lived this dilemma once...

Sure do love the mid-engine 'jolt'.

Cheers!

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #8 of 78 Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
I would pick a manual 612.

I love the fact that it's a 2+2, It's great to be able to bring familly or friends along.
post #9 of 78 Old 01-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
I just bought a 430 two weeks ago, but I really love the 612. For my first F-Car, I really did want the mid engine racer.

I would like to add the 612 as a DD. A serious GT that is stunning with that great V12 in the front and large enough to use on a regular basis......Steve
post #10 of 78 Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
I just bought a 430 two weeks ago, but I really love the 612. For my first F-Car, I really did want the mid engine racer.

I would like to add the 612 as a DD. A serious GT that is stunning with that great V12 in the front and large enough to use on a regular basis......Steve
You know, I used to drive my RR Corniche DHC for all my continent crossings. I go across Europe on a regular basis by car. The Roller as you know is a maestro for long distance driving. But once I took my first 612 into commission I left the Roller in the garage ten times out of ten for my longtrips. Only after two years did I come down to nine times out of ten, still in favour of the 612. The Roller is now principally taking turns with the 430 for the daily driving. It is good not so many fancy the 612. That makes it so much more special. I see the Fioranos everyday in these neighbourhoods but only occasionally do I see a 612, just a-floating along in its own bubble of majestic might. That torquey engine pulls you around the downtown corners in forth if you like. The latest models have the fastest Superfast II gearbox and the carboceramic brakes with 20" wheels as standard. The latest models also sport the lovely transparent roof.

The 612 can be a nuisanse in the parking houses though. It is a very big car. You need to order it with the parking camera to be fine. It is actually quite a bit easier to swing around the Corniche in the tight parking houses of today.

One of the best city cars for me is the 430 Spyder. It's actually the best city car I've had. It is smaller, much shorter than the 612 and it flies around town like a little Smart car (almost). It has a 250 liter luggage compartment which means there is no grocery tour too big for it. It comes with a great stereo option which is handy for slow, down town traffic although it will never measure up to the acoustics of an all option 612, not in a million days. Add to this the availability of SottoZero:s and the fact that the 430 is one heck of an amusing and powerful car for inspiraional hard core driving, and you have one of the most complete cars money can buy.

If you can have both of these cars, you are the man indeed. I salute you. If you want a fully equipped 612 in the "right" colour combo, my old one is for sale at Kessel Auto in Lugano. It is not for sale under my flag so that is not why I'm putting sugar on top of it. It is just a d4mn fine car which never gave me one single worry.

Salve,
Capo

post #11 of 78 Old 01-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am finding the 430 a very comfortable car that I feel I can take anywhere. There is something so refined about the 612 I love it. Never driven a RR but I am sure it is fantastic. Where I live you won't see any of these cars. I am hoping to see some in the spring in Des Moines......Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
You know, I used to drive my RR Corniche DHC for all my continent crossings. I go across Europe on a regular basis by car. The Roller as you know is a maestro for long distance driving. But once I took my first 612 into commission I left the Roller in the garage ten times out of ten for my longtrips. Only after two years did I come down to nine times out of ten, still in favour of the 612. The Roller is now principally taking turns with the 430 for the daily driving. It is good not so many fancy the 612. That makes it so much more special. I see the Fioranos everyday in these neighbourhoods but only occasionally do I see a 612, just a-floating along in its own bubble of majestic might. That torquey engine pulls you around the downtown corners in forth if you like. The latest models have the fastest Superfast II gearbox and the carboceramic brakes with 20" wheels as standard. The latest models also sport the lovely transparent roof.

The 612 can be a nuisanse in the parking houses though. It is a very big car. You need to order it with the parking camera to be fine. It is actually quite a bit easier to swing around the Corniche in the tight parking houses of today.

One of the best city cars for me is the 430 Spyder. It's actually the best city car I've had. It is smaller, much shorter than the 612 and it flies around town like a little Smart car (almost). It has a 250 liter luggage compartment which means there is no grocery tour too big for it. It comes with a great stereo option which is handy for slow, down town traffic although it will never measure up to the acoustics of an all option 612, not in a million days. Add to this the availability of SottoZero:s and the fact that the 430 is one heck of an amusing and powerful car for inspiraional hard core driving, and you have one of the most complete cars money can buy.

If you can have both of these cars, you are the man indeed. I salute you. If you want a fully equipped 612 in the "right" colour combo, my old one is for sale at Kessel Auto in Lugano. It is not for sale under my flag so that is not why I'm putting sugar on top of it. It is just a d4mn fine car which never gave me one single worry.
post #12 of 78 Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 37
As a 612 owner I can't speak highly enough of this car, my view is it's the best car out there full stop. One minute it's very comfortable and luxurious with the children in the back and a full set of luggage in the boot, or indeed golf clubs (and I have a rather large tour bag) then hit the sports button and everything firms up and the full Ferrari DNA kicks in and it turns into a wild animal, whilst keeping everything all under control and out of trouble. I think the HGTS/C package probably plays a key part in this respect.
A truly remarkable, classy and elegant car which I love it to bits whilst being a big bruiser all at the same time.
post #13 of 78 Old 01-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
the large [2+2s if you will] 12 cylinders are greatly overlooked and should not be as they are a great value.

As they progressed from the 456GT to the 612 they just got better in terms of performance and interior. The maintenance costs are not an engine out and the belts can be left for a greater period etc. Makes a nice daily driver if driven for over 20min at a time.

Lots of fun as mentioned in terms of space and once inside you'll swear you are not in a 'large' car....more than likely one may keep it longer than expected as the 'looks' fair well over long term.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #14 of 78 Old 01-19-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Guess we will all get to see what the 612 replacement look like on Friday.
post #15 of 78 Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 37
Love the front, impressed with the back, but OMG the side profile!
Quite Shocked, reminds me of a panamera/Z3 coupe!
post #16 of 78 Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
430 spider
post #17 of 78 Old 01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Tough choice!

One of the things that I have learnt from you is that part of the real pleasure of being privileged enough to own a Ferrari is to be able to share the experience. So in that context I would say that if you could only choose one and if you have a couple of Mini-Mees in tow than a 612 otherwise the 430!

First F should always be a manual, second can be either.

post #18 of 78 Old 01-29-2011, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Tough choice!

One of the things that I have learnt from you is that part of the real pleasure of being privileged enough to own a Ferrari is to be able to share the experience. So in that context I would say that if you could only choose one and if you have a couple of Mini-Mees in tow than a 612 otherwise the 430!

First F should always be a manual, second can be either.

Well my mini-me's are now "same height as me's" so getting crammed in the back of a 612 would not be that popular. According to them, leg room in the back of the Porsche Cayenne is "OK". Net net, better to just go with a 430.
post #19 of 78 Old 01-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Well my mini-me's are now "same height as me's" so getting crammed in the back of a 612 would not be that popular. According to them, leg room in the back of the Porsche Cayenne is "OK". Net net, better to just go with a 430.
Sounds like you need an FF Boxer.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #20 of 78 Old 01-29-2011, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Sounds like you need an FF Boxer.
Sorry, just not a 4 seat Ferrari fan.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode