Can it be not flashy? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 01-11-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Can it be not flashy?

So, I am sure this is a somewhat contentious issue, but here goes. The main reason I have not considered buying a Ferrari in the past is that I was worried about the stigma of driving around in one. I LOVE driving - always have, and am pretty good at it. But I have owned cars that are fun to drive, but not too 'noticeable' (hence the 335 - very commonplace where I live).

BUT I am not getting any younger, and I would love to have the Ferrari experience on a regular basis from a driving perspective (considering California as noted in earlier post). So my question - am I deluding myself in thinking that I can drive down the road without having everyone gawk? Can it be primarily about the driving experience rather than the 'rock star' status? I am asking this as an honest question and asking for owners' personal experiences.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Having one is definitely better than not having one. If it's what you want, get one. Who cares what others think...
post #3 of 35 Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
it's both. the driving experience is second to none and you will get gawked at. the reason they are gawking is because of the driving experience. you really can't separate the two. if it makes you feel better, lambos are worse in this way. get the car, if you don't like it you can always sell it. but you wont.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 35 Old 01-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by screenap View Post
So, I am sure this is a somewhat contentious issue, but here goes. The main reason I have not considered buying a Ferrari in the past is that I was worried about the stigma of driving around in one. I LOVE driving - always have, and am pretty good at it. But I have owned cars that are fun to drive, but not too 'noticeable' (hence the 335 - very commonplace where I live).

BUT I am not getting any younger, and I would love to have the Ferrari experience on a regular basis from a driving perspective (considering California as noted in earlier post). So my question - am I deluding myself in thinking that I can drive down the road without having everyone gawk? Can it be primarily about the driving experience rather than the 'rock star' status? I am asking this as an honest question and asking for owners' personal experiences.

Thanks!
I am probably more in line with your manner also. I am not a racer, nor a person who, personally in my mind, could pull off a muscle exotic car look if you get my drift. I'm not that kid. Bought my first Ferrari age 50 and wondered why I waited so long. Drove many 'other' very nice cars, but always thought the Ferrari was out of my nature: NOT.

I wanted the Ferrari for the brand and what type of driving experience it gave. AND into the lifestyle I do on a daily basis.

As you I didn't want that two-seater 'look at that guy' kinda scenario [don't get me wrong guys, IF I could I would acquire one]. Thus I have basically two 2+2s which to many is NOT a Ferrari to have and most reject them.

I've probaby done more with mine than the typical Ferrari owner in terms using both daily [both of us having the choice will grab our respective keys and out the door we go]. We can share it with others, we can shop, we can carry things, shoot, we even have been camping in ours. Important to me is having them for use and enjoyment as much as a regular car before the bucket it kicked. Saving it is not an option, even if it were a $25Mill car.

Today, raining in north bay, and the 456 is sitting there beading up water as I type waiting for me to leave and drive home. Can't wait to get to Whole Foods[whole paycheck] and grab tonight's meal.

SO: I understand your not wanting to stand out like some flashy person.
BUT, every Ferrari has some flash and you'll just have to live with that. There is no better grin regardless the model.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 35 Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thanks for the insight!
post #6 of 35 Old 01-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
A little humility goes a long way

I live in the middle of nowhere Iowa, so my car is ultra rare as in none. When I went to register it, they said that it is the first one there ever saw in my town.

I have always wanted a Ferrari and yes there is a bit of in your face that others perceive. But most folks just want to see it and talk to you about it. Take a picture or let them sit in it.

If you are humble and treat people with dignity and respect and share your love of the car with others, you will be surprised by how gracious they will be.

I always am respectful of how fortunate I am and that I am not special. I work hard, but so do a almost all folks who can’t afford one.

I do not drive it to work out of respect for those that are not as fortunate as me. But I have my life to live and I did not buy it for any other reason except that I am in love with the car....not to impress anyone or inflate my ego at others expense.

I do agree with Granucci in that a 2+2 does not draw as much attention, but in the end you should get the car you really want. I will say when you are driving it you get so involved in the experience that you forget what it looks like on the outside. People are going to pay attention and that is just life.

I think that if you show humility and share your love of the car with others, there is nothing to feel bad about.

We play the cards we are dealt and I aint folding on this hand.......Steve

Last edited by needspeed; 01-11-2011 at 06:47 PM.
post #7 of 35 Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by screenap View Post
So
So my question - am I deluding myself in thinking that I can drive down the road without having everyone gawk? Can it be primarily about the driving experience rather than the 'rock star' status? I am asking this as an honest question and asking for owners' personal experiences.

Thanks!
Yes and yes. It should and can be primarily about the driving experience (I used a 360 as my DD for a couple of years). On the gawking, when you first get the car, you tend to be hyper sensitive to it. After a few days, you will not notice.
post #8 of 35 Old 01-12-2011, 04:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
On the gawking, when you first get the car, you tend to be hyper sensitive to it. After a few days, you will not notice.

I agree with Boxer. When we first got our 360 Spider (RED!), we noticed the attention although it was nowhere near what the previous owner told us to expect. Now, after several months with the car, we’re so wrapped up in the driving experience, we rarely notice.

It’s when we’re parked that the attention is most noticeable. People do want to come see the car and ask about it. We’ve found that the amount of “rock star” effect is totally dependent on how you act. If you act like a rock star in it, that’s precisely how you will be perceived (and somewhat treated). We feel, and try to project, that we are just the current caretakers of a wonderful piece of art and are treated accordingly.

Lastly, the “gawking” you mention is mostly done while we are away from the car. People are constantly taking pictures of it and posing by it. However, once we approach, they are very respectful. The term that is most accurate would be “inquisitive.” And as I state above, if you are very down to earth with them, there is no “rock star” effect whatsoever.
post #9 of 35 Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again

Thanks again for the insight - great to hear folks that have lived through it, and everything you say makes tons of sense.

Cheers.
post #10 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Lastly, the “gawking” you mention is mostly done while we are away from the car. People are constantly taking pictures of it and posing by it. However, once we approach, they are very respectful. The term that is most accurate would be “inquisitive.” And as I state above, if you are very down to earth with them, there is no “rock star” effect whatsoever.
I completely agree with that, but there is one thing that does irritate me about what people do when you're not there:

leaning on the car for a picture, and sometimes SITTING on the car!

You know, something like that would just NEVER occur to me to do to someone else's property.

Other than that, there are very few negative sides to the experience and there are very few hate reactions. I've had two so far: an irate woman in France indicating that my classic Ferrari stank up to high heaven. Naturally she was driving a 25 year old rust-bucket....

And a byciclist in Switzerland telling me that my 550 on idle was making him deaf (I had stopped for 10 seconds to look at a map). I shrugged but in fact his shrieking was making ME deaf...

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #11 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I completely agree with that, but there is one thing that does irritate me about what people do when you're not there:

leaning on the car for a picture, and sometimes SITTING on the car!

You know, something like that would just NEVER occur to me to do to someone else's property.

Other than that, there are very few negative sides to the experience and there are very few hate reactions. I've had two so far: an irate woman in France indicating that my classic Ferrari stank up to high heaven. Naturally she was driving a 25 year old rust-bucket....

And a byciclist in Switzerland telling me that my 550 on idle was making him deaf (I had stopped for 10 seconds to look at a map). I shrugged but in fact his shrieking was making ME deaf...

Onno
That is quite shocking to hear such experiences, Onno. I suppose there are many more confrontational people over there in the Continent ?
w/ smiles Jimmy
post #12 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
Quote:
..... I've had two so far: an irate woman in France indicating that my classic Ferrari stank up to high heaven. Naturally she was driving a 25 year old rust-bucket....

Onno
I had a similar thing happen to me last year when I had my Audi R8. I was caught in a line of stationary traffic in Brighton whilst trying to access a hotel car park. A truck was delivering to a supermarket and a car in front of me refused to try and get by it. There was enough room to do so and I would have gone past in my car but this guy was having none of it and several cars then got stuck behind me.

The next thing I knew a woman came up to my my passenger window and started banging on it violently. I lowered it to see what on earth her problem was and before I could open my mouth got a torrent of abuse saying how she was sitting 20 yards back at a pavement cafe and "my" exhaust was making her feel ill and I was to switch my engine off immediately. Funny how she picked my car out of all the ones stuck in the queue to have a rant about Some people just don't like others having nice things
post #13 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 04:39 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
that is hilarious. i would have had a few choice words for her. Thankfully, i have had very little in the way of problems. But where i drive the car most of the time, it's not that uncommon of a sight and people are generally too cool to "notice". the kids on the other hand notice.....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #14 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
I hear you loud and clear guys. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt AND the bumper sticker! Here's some advice to turn it into your own amusent instead of having them patronizing you on your fine well-deserved outing:

The five milliseconds of map reading whilst idling in Switzerland has earned me loads of ball breaking. I'm convinced the green now have undercover agents everywhere just waiting for an opportunity to jump at you for improper idling. The only improper idling I know of is the one with too few accelerator blips. Onno, here's what you can tell them next time: -"The car is hot-wired and can't be switched off until the joy ride is over, sorry about that!" "Besides, it also has an alco-lock so I'm afraid it wouldn't start again, see?"

Oh, and the devious ambushing by the loud exhaust counter-guerilla, I've had my share as well, my goodness! A couple of years ago I invented a reply which I love to use and then gently study the reaction. Upon the hysterical complaint of my exhaust noise, I very politely and loudly explain to them that - "I'm glad you like the car but I'm struggling to hear you because my exhaust is very loud!"

And the café boulevardiers singling you out in a line of several idling cars, absolutely p1ssing themselves with impatience to tell you off about the fumes and hopefully ruining your day whilst doing it. - Yep, I've had that one too. I know your feeling, iainuk. -And they are almost always girls for some reason. Here's a greeting for them too: -"Is this your pick-up line? The drivers of the other cars are boys too you know? Well, there's no cure for good taste, is there? So, would you care for a ride with me then?"

And the people who have waited for you to return to your parked car, dying to sourly ask you if you have any idea how much CO2 you're spewing out from your car??!!! Now, if they are very rude and unpleasant you might want to go for something like -"No son, I have no idea but why don't you tell your mother to ask next time she hails a customer driving one of these." If they are the boulevardiers girls from the café you might want to go for: -"Oh I know very well what you girls are after but ever since I had to have my penis reduction done, I've kind of lost track of the CO2-thing. But I could get you hooked up with a mate of mine driving one of these, and his penis still is massive too. Would that do it for you girls?"

Now you're armed again guys! Don't let anybody deprive you from the harmony of your well-deserved outing in the old Ferrari!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #15 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 05:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
post #16 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Good tips, Capo!

Onno
+1 . I have also had one or two incidents. Remember asking one woman who was yelling at me for either noise or pollution, when she stopped taking her meds.
post #17 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Are you guys sure that these "shouting women" were not asking for rides ? Must say culture is quite different. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #18 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
I bought a Black one to help reduce the "look at me" factor. Much less noticeable but still magnificently beautiful.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #19 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
I live in the middle of nowhere Iowa, so my car is ultra rare as in none.
Remember my first car, I bought. I was 22 living in Moscow Idaho, 1972, going to college, and I just acquired a 1969 BMW 1600 from CA. People would would look at it like it was a spaceship. Not because of its looks, but because it didn't make sense....actually, it didn't. Only German speaking people could work on it and it almost bankrupt me many time: That's when I knew a Ferrari could be in the future

Quote:
I have always wanted a Ferrari and yes there is a bit of in your face that others perceive. But most folks just want to see it and talk to you about it. Take a picture or let them sit in it.
What I find also. A smile and nice manner goes a long way EVEN To the 'snots' one runs into from time to time. I find starting with a joke usually breaks the ice....one I like the most is me wanting to exchange car keys with whomever makes the offer....and then we go from there.

Quote:
I do not drive it to work out of respect for those that are not as fortunate as me. But I have my life to live and I did not buy it for any other reason except that I am in love with the car....not to impress anyone or inflate my ego at others expense.
PFFffft unfortunately, Ferraris are almost a dime-a-dozen in the bay area [NOT....actually Porsches and Vets are ]. I originally refused to drive mine to work for the first five years, and now, everyone expects it there: Here today, again as I type....USE IT. but, I do understand 'in your face' as a bit too much for some.

Quote:
I do agree with Granucci in that a 2+2 does not draw as much attention, but in the end you should get the car you really want. I will say when you are driving it you get so involved in the experience that you forget what it looks like on the outside. People are going to pay attention and that is just life.
Thanks. BUT I am, actively engaging into acquiring a 328 and have been reading a lot on the 250 GTE 2+2...that one is sort of speaking to me.

However, of note, one thing I've come to be amazed is the children, ages 7/8-15 who SEE the 456 where others cannot. I have yet to recognize why this is, even when I drive the Mondial T and that looks more 'Ferrari' than the 456-[toyotaish to some] model. My theory is, these 'kids' will drool after one when they can afford it [like they could almost buy one on their allownce now...what a shame, a 12-cylinder hand cast engine, with carbon fiber etc, at $40k and dropping ] and be the future 308/328 buyers of tom. as 'that was the car I remember'. Perhaps it does skip a generation.

Quote:
We play the cards we are dealt and I aint folding on this hand.......Steve
Exactly: Which is why I as you made the leap into Ferrari-hood: we aintz gettin' younger, and what a thrill.
r

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #20 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Owner

As a side note to the bad experiences other than cops in SF complaining about the exhaust note [which is why I NEVER drive in SF again their loss...tourists LOVED us in the city and Fisherman's Wharf area], is a lady [is that always now the case?...perhaps a female vs male thing] complained while we both were in a store of 'what a waste that gas hog is.....and the polution etc.'... I couldn't let that pass so I told her, "That car, is probably better than the SUV she was driving in terms of tuning and gas mileage"... got one of those 'haramumphs'... I might have exagerated, but I walked proud out.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode