Ferrari Owner question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 01-10-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Ferrari Owner question

Hi everyone,

I just joined, and am in fairly early stages of purchasing a car to replace my current car. I am replacing a 335 Cabriolet, so wish to have a similar 'style' - i.e. need rear seats and convertible. Obviously looking at the Cali.

My questions are:
- Ferrari ownership experience - would you say that the company provides a better experience than other lux brands? In what way?
- Cali - any existing owners - can you speak to the 'day to day' of living with the car?

That's it - obviously once I take the plunge I will happily report on my experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
335 to a Cali is a massive leap and totally different car. You are going from a mid entry German car to the other end of the spectrum Italian.

A better experience? In driving pleasure and ownership experience, yes. That is the brand, but not a result of superior customer service. In customer service, I would say they are equal. It will also depend on your dealer. Like any brand, some dealers have better service than others.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
helluva a jump. of course the best idea would be to schedule a test drive at the closest dealer. be warned-you will want it. two totally different ownership experiences. hard to put into words. you may want to look at a couple of the threads from new owners to get an idea. i will say this-if you buy the cali they will let you into the factory. buying a ferrari is much more like joining a club. there is good reason why they are the most coveted automobiles in the world. it ain't hype....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 30 Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

335 to California

Definitely a change, but the funny thing is that there is nothing really in between (for what I need - a vehicle where my kids can actually come with me relatively comfortably, where I can actually fit more than a loaf of bread in the trunk, and which can offer a driving experience more thrilling than the BMW)

Some of the ownership experience things I am thinking - If I show up in Maranello and knock on the door, will they take some time and show me around? Any other benefits? (e.g we have a Range Rover, and at times they have been awesome at building the brand experience - offroad events, interesting microsite, LR based trips, etc.)

Thanks!
post #5 of 30 Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Driven already

Spent some time behind the wheel already and loved it - got as far as speccing it out, haven't written the check yet :-)
post #6 of 30 Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Yes, if you show up at Maranello you can get a tour. You just need to arrange it before hand with the dealer. For events, you have Ferrari Club America and Ferrari Owners Club as well as this site. In that respect, yes you'll get a lot of experience out of ownership. While I know lots of BMW drivers also get together, it is different when you do a 1 day rally with a group of Ferraris. There is plenty of opportunity for those kinds of events.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
What colour are you interested in?

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #8 of 30 Old 01-10-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Color

Looking at either the pozi blue or Abu dhabi blue with the Cuoio interior. Looking for not too flashy.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by screenap View Post
Looking for not too flashy.
Ha, that's a good one! I think the only one that fits that description is the one they make for Barbie dolls. Although Ken would probably disagree with me.....
post #10 of 30 Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
what did i tell you? as far as the factory goes, you have to make an appointment through the dealer in advance. can't just show up. but it is well worth it. amazing tour. as far as extra curricular activities go, there are many from driving schools to shows. The biggest ferrari shindig in the US is in a couple weeks in palm beach. definitely worth it if you can get down there. that car will also give you entree to any car show, gathering ect. It will also get you into clubs, restaurants with vip parking and entry. enjoy, it will be much more fun owning than the bmw. be prepared to be photographed and videoed every time you take it out.

Quote:
Spent some time behind the wheel already and loved it - got as far as speccing it out, haven't written the check yet :-)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #11 of 30 Old 01-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Yes, if you show up at Maranello you can get a tour
You can also define the exact specification at the factory - they have a demo room there with all the colours, options, etc etc so you can really get a good feel for how your car should look.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #12 of 30 Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Looking at either the pozi blue or Abu dhabi blue with the Cuoio interior. Looking for not too flashy.
Good luck on your purchase and venture into the exotic world: would like to know how you feel the difference is between the 335 and a Cali.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #13 of 30 Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

diff between 335 and California

I have test driven the Cali a couple of times now and spent a good hour or so behind the wheel. I would say for pure driving pleasure, it is a bit more than twice the car the 335 is (I would put a 911 at about 1.5 times the car). The 335 drives really nicely which is why I initially got it.

Obviously, the 335 has more cabin technical bits, but the Ferrari cabin feels exotic, the BMW not at all, even fully decked out.

So overall, let's say 2.5 times the car... at roughly 3.5 times the price.
post #14 of 30 Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Another note on the California

I have been reading a lot on the forum about the anti-Cali camp, but a few observations from having spent a fair bit of evaluation time with the car, and why it is by far my favorite of the lot:
- Way way better drive than the Maserati (if the paradigm is a true sports car) - the Maserati is basically a BMW 650 in driving style, but louder - certainly not shabby by any means, but not the same kind of experience.
- Definitely more exotic than a 911 Turbo (and more fun to drive IMO).
- Real world usability - I have kids, and I love driving my car somewhere with the family - two things that make owning a 2 seater impractical for me
- Crazy fast - no one can ever claim that a car that accelerates and handles like a California is anything but sublime

If I go ahead with the purchase, I will have more to say, but my 2 cents for now.

Cheers.
post #15 of 30 Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Suggest you PM IainUK. He has had a Cali for a few years now and loves it.
post #16 of 30 Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Owner

Quote:
Yes! They are indeed nice colours. A Ferrari will always stop the traffic and a California even more so. Apart from being classy colours it certainly is a very good choice in your case when wanting to tone down your presence a little bit.

I have been on the barricades a lot with issues I have with the Cali. That doesn't mean that I never will own one. It only means it didn't come out the way I would have preferred. It is just such a special model name that you get all protective and sensitive over it. If they'd called it the Milano I would probably not have been so edgy about it. The day Ferrari makes a model I am totally indifferent to is when I need to check my pulse - 'cause I might be dead.

What I like a lot is that I see plenty of Sotto Zero sets being sold to the Californias here in Switzerland. That means people do use them as the truly versatile cars they are.

If I were you screenap, I would go for a Novitec engine kit. That turns the car from a "boulevardier" into an unpredictable pub fight starter!

I don't mean to indoctrinate you but speaking of four seaters, have you driven the 612? It is a four seater you can buy slightly used at an extremely good price, unless you are me, being stupid enough to buy them brand new - twice... Everybody here knows I'm a sucker for its long trip superiority. The 612 is a Ferrari with very high quality and detail sophistication. You can tell when you drive it where all that extra money went. It is also a descreet Ferrari (if you really can use that description for any Ferrari). Drive a Cali and a 612 back to back and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Have great fun with your California when you get it (or 612), They are both very complete cars, the Cali even more so because of its convertible feature.

Salve,
Capo

post #17 of 30 Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

612 vs California

Thanks for the insight Capo. With the 335, I have really fallen in love with convertibles - although I live in NA, I drive top down a good 75% of the time, which is why the California is so ideal. Having said that, I will try the 612 just to see - my dealer has one. Who knows...

Cheers.
post #18 of 30 Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the insight Capo. With the 335, I have really fallen in love with convertibles - although I live in NA, I drive top down a good 75% of the time, which is why the California is so ideal. Having said that, I will try the 612 just to see - my dealer has one. Who knows...

Cheers.
I hear you, I hear you. My 430 is a Spyder.

Salve,
Capo

post #19 of 30 Old 01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:

Cheers.
Perhaps a 612 and a Spyder is the answer? Could even be more cost effective than a new Cali?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #20 of 30 Old 01-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Perhaps a 612 and a Spyder is the answer? Could even be more cost effective than a new Cali?
Now we are talking! I know for sure it is marvellous setup.

Salve,
Capo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode