Help with Federalizing a 360 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Help with Federalizing a 360

Hello all,

I was hoping someone here could give me some advise on federalizing a Euro 360.

Here's the back story... back in late 99, my current wife's previous Fiance' purchased a 360 in Italy and picked it up from the factory. They drove it around for the next week, parked it at his family's estate in Verona, and flew back to the US to take care of some business. While in the US, he was involved in a motorcycle accident, and passed on leaving everything to my wife. The car has been pretty much parked for the past 10 years, only being driven rarely, and taken in for service annually by the brother. The car is in EXCELLENT condition, with less than 5K kms.

Recently, my wife has expressed an interest in bringing the car to the US (we are US citizens and residents). The car holds quite a bit of sentimental value as it was his dream car, and we are worried that due to some family drama in Italy, that the car may be neglected or abused, and we wish to rescue it.

So, here's where we are... The car is in Italy, and holds more value to us than just the blue book value. We would like to bring it to the US.

What are my options? While I would like to do this "the right way". I would also like to know what people have done to grey market these cars. I understand that federalizing a euro Ferrari will damage its resale value, but we are not concerned with that as the cars value to us is sentimental.

What is involved physically with federalizing the vehicle? How is performance affected? Who does it? and what will this cost?

In advance I thank you all for your help. I will check this thread regularly to read advice and answer any questions you may have.

Thanks again,

AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
There is a company located out here in Baltimore, MD which specializes in this exact process. They can assist with the transport and legal conversion of the vehicle.

The good news is that because these cars are sold in the US everything is readily available to make it compliant with US specs.

From what I've seen it can cost in the region of $50k to make a car compliant.

The biggest changes aren't performance related but safety related. The biggest differences are in air bag systems and lighting systems, the instrument cluster and ECU's will need to be changed out as well.

It's getting more and more difficult to "duck" proper federalizing of modern cars.

The best thing to do is contact a firm that specializes in this and find out whether they've converted a 360 before and if so what to expect.

Feel free to PM me and I can forward you more specific information.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

50K seems a bit excessive. I mean, I understand that these are Ferraris, but that's just insane. Door beams, front and rear bumpers and crash beams... swapping out the E-glass to DOT glass (in the lighting), cluster, computer... doesn't seem like any more than 10-15K in parts.

I am wondering, as the car is so near the Ferrari factory, and her family owns quite a few Ferraris if the modifications can be done in Italy prior to shipping. What's the use of paying for the car and parts to be shipped separately with the parts getting all the middle man mark-ups...

(just thinking out loud). Thanks for the help.

Has anyone out there gone through this process?

AT

post #4 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeRacerGuy View Post
50K seems a bit excessive. I mean, I understand that these are Ferraris, but that's just insane. Door beams, front and rear bumpers and crash beams... swapping out the E-glass to DOT glass (in the lighting), cluster, computer... doesn't seem like any more than 10-15K in parts.

I am wondering, as the car is so near the Ferrari factory, and her family owns quite a few Ferraris if the modifications can be done in Italy prior to shipping. What's the use of paying for the car and parts to be shipped separately with the parts getting all the middle man mark-ups...

(just thinking out loud). Thanks for the help.

Has anyone out there gone through this process?

AT
You would be right if you were talking about something common...but you aren't you are talking about a ferrari and just the glass will be several thousand dolars then it has to be installed...and these are hand built cars and nothing is easy or quick.

Very honestly, almost no one brings cars into the US these days because it's stupid expensive. If the primary goal is to "save" the car then it can be bought in as parts of as a race car, in either case the important part in "not for street use" and no modifications would be required.

If you actually want to drive the car then you should have your wife sign a buntch of stuff "to get the conversion" going, part of which lets you quiety sell the car in Italy then buy one exactly the same here in the US get it registered.....conversion complete. Then spend a lot of time explaining to everyone just how hard it was to get the car converted to US standards but just seeing how happy it makes your wife makes the whole thing worth while
post #5 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
like mark said. sell it in europe and buy one over here. much better plan. shipping alone will save you several thousand. sorry, didn't read the whole thing. maybe bring it in as a race or show car.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Well, thanks for the advice everyone. Both helpful and encouraging, and those.... not.

I researched the company suggested, and there were quite a few reviews of them that stated that they have not been very helpful with individuals, and prefer to do multiple conversions with corporate accounts.

Well after some phone calls, and some arrangement, the car is currently in Maranello awaiting having the conversion done. All Euro parts removed will be crated and shipped to us for inventory. In May we're flying to Italy, driving the car to London where the Registered Importer will take delivery of the car for shipping to the US.

Again, Thanks for the help
post #7 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Keep us posted on the project. I know bringing cars in from some countries is easier than others. I think Saudi Arabia and some of the others have to meet the same crash protections and it is cheaper to bring cars in.

I am not an expert but I sure seems like it would be cheaper and easier to sell the car and buy another one here?

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #8 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
I think the key factor was sentimental value. Obviously made it worth the effort (and cost).

Hope it works out well.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
The $50k sounds like a bargain. To Federalize an F50 will run north of $70k. I believe there is also a firm in California that can do the work. Suggest you call Mike Sheehan to get a referral.

I would be very surprised if the factory would offer any assistence in this case.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Well after some phone calls, and some arrangement, the car is currently in Maranello awaiting having the conversion done. All Euro parts removed will be crated and shipped to us for inventory. In May we're flying to Italy, driving the car to London where the Registered Importer will take delivery of the car for shipping to the US.

I never would have thought to call the factory.....do you mind sharing what the quote was for the work?

My second question is how on earth did you arrange all this and get the car there in less than 24 hours during a holiday week?
post #11 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Well, thanks for the advice everyone. Both helpful and encouraging, and those.... not.

I researched the company suggested, and there were quite a few reviews of them that stated that they have not been very helpful with individuals, and prefer to do multiple conversions with corporate accounts.

Great and congratulations. Is the Classiche department doing the work?

Let me know if you need any route recommendations for Maranello to London.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
I never would have thought to call the factory.....do you mind sharing what the quote was for the work?

My second question is how on earth did you arrange all this and get the car there in less than 24 hours during a holiday week?
Well, I wish that I could take all (or any of) the credit... However it turns out that my efforts were a duplicate...

When we had first started discussing this weeks ago, my wife had contacted her ex-Fiance's family. They had been working on this for the past 2 weeks without my knowledge and the car had already been transported from Verona to Marinello.

I didn't find this out till I contacted various RI's and got some vague answers, so I asked her how serious she was about bringing this car over before I started pressing these companys for detailed quotes. She said "pretty serious, since the car's already being converted..." I then called Italy to speak to the family there, and was told all is being taken care of, and that this is alot more common than I was led to believe.

She is not telling me what the cost of all this is, just to "not worry about it"... I honestly believe that if you're looking at this from a purely financial aspect, it's not worth it. But this is sentimental, and when the heart is involved, money is just a number.

What kicked all this off is that the brother was involved in a minor accident in the car a few weeks ago. The details of it are sketchy, but it seems the damage was to the front bumper and was superficial. However it's caused some dischord in an already difficult situation.

In any case, it seems that my efforts are not really needed, and my next action with the car is driving it to london from Verona. I would love to take this opportunity to take a grand tour of Europe in a Ferrari, but the May trip already seems to be crammed full. I have 3rd row mid field seats to a Man U v Chelsea match, the wedding to attend in Verona, Friends to see all over the UK, and we will have the little one with us. So rather than being "valentino the Ferrari driver" I will be "vick, the transporter" in a Top Gearesque plane vs car race.

Again, thanks for all the help.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
So rather than being "valentino the Ferrari driver" I will be "vick, the transporter" in a Top Gearesque plane vs car race.

Again, thanks for all the help.
If you get the chance, do take a few hours and run a few of the Swiss passes. Did it in my 360 back in 2009 on FLED 2 and it was epic.
http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/d...type=flq&id=95

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode