Going s-nowhere fast, £300,000 Ferrari coated in snow! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 12-22-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Going s-nowhere fast, £300,000 Ferrari coated in snow!

The Ferrari 599 GTO is one of the world’s quickest cars but this model was going nowhere fast after being coated in more than a foot of snow.

Parked up on an industrial site, the £300,000 supercar was left out overnight shortly before Scotland experienced an evening of heavy snowfall. And by the morning the Ferrari, one of only a handful in the UK, was coated in over 12-inches of the white stuff. Most supercar owners dress their pride and joy in specially made car covers and then park them in a heated garage, but the 599′s owner left it exposed to Mother Nature and her wicked ways.

Just two weeks prior to the snow-covered shot, the Ferrari was photographed in the same position – albeit less ‘snowy’. The snaps were taken in southern Scotland by 21-year-old Peter Watt and are among a collection of supercars he’s caught in the snow. Peter said: “I was surprised to see the 599 GTO out in the snow as most GTOs will probably go straight into a garage and perhaps only move when it comes time to sell.

Peter also photographed an £80,000 Audi, £110,000 Maserati Gran Turismo and £140,000 Bentley Continental amongst some other supercars – all looking in need of a garage.

[Source : Small World News Service]

The 2nd picture is of the GTO parked in the same position two weeks before the snowfall. The 3rd picture shows it wasn't just the GTO left in the snow, but a 458 as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mike430; 12-22-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
The cars are meant to be used. The owners of these cars are heroes. I try to avoid the snow but every now and then you'll drive into a surprise weather front with snow. A good rinse after the drive and the car is good to go again.

Life is too short for sparing the car for the benefit of the next owner!
Think about it...

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I respectfully disagree. I think it is foolish to use cars like this in these conditions. I've seen too many wrecked already due to slippery conditions, and the damage the salt does is really bad. Rinsing the car will not help you, if it's a bit wet outside the salt will go into places you cannot rinse (unless you put it onto a bridge).

And freezing and thawing is also very bad for the paint. But you know - we're all entitled to our view, if people want to use them I won't stop them. I just don't see the point.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 24 Old 12-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I respectfully disagree. I think it is foolish to use cars like this in these conditions. I've seen too many wrecked already due to slippery conditions, and the damage the salt does is really bad. Rinsing the car will not help you, if it's a bit wet outside the salt will go into places you cannot rinse (unless you put it onto a bridge).

And freezing and thawing is also very bad for the paint. But you know - we're all entitled to our view, if people want to use them I won't stop them. I just don't see the point.

Onno
Well I suppose they do more than rinse; warm water and washing. They do lift it when I tell them I've been in the snow or when rain has saturated roads you know have been recently salted. The guys in the shop say that since the modern Ferraris have panelled flat bellies they actually have quite a good protection against salt and dirt in general. The little that sticks out like wheel linkage, brakes, suspension, etc, obviously need an "eye-on" washing. The modern Ferraris also have excellent electronic aid for snow driving. The problems start when you disconnect the electronics to enjoy the car. Snow tyres are of course an option which allows more fun to be experienced, preferably with narrower dimensions. Without snow tyres it becomes more of a docile transport through the snow as opposed to really enjoying it, particularly in a heavy Ferrari like a Scaglietti. I think the perfect winter Ferrari is a manual 360 with Nokian, Continental or Michelin snow tyres. A Scud would also be great since it is easy to clean both on the inside and the outside.

I have so far managed to avoid salt on my current modern Ferraris and I wouldn't dream of exposing the Dino to salt. The Corniche, my previous 355, 360 and Scaglietti all got their accidental fair share of snow and with proper post-care they walked it gracefully. In a few days I will take the new Scaglietti to Spain and back and hopefully I will be in the clear. But hey, If I hit a bad weatherfront the car will just have to deal with it. I won't deprive myself from that many high quality kilometers in my 612; life takes place now and there are no rehearsals. Should the weather be ridiculously wintery I shall of course have to go in the G55. As a general principal, I have sworn to use my modern Ferraris as daily drivers. They are so much fun I just can't resist using them all year round. I respect all other ways of Ferrari ownership and driving habits. After all, the owner is right because it is his car and his personal ownership is his personal trip.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-23-2010, 11:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Am I the only one who finds it a bit of a beautiful sight?
post #6 of 24 Old 12-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post
Yes - I would be worried about the repair bill or other cars slamming into it in an icy car park. Preventable trouble in my view.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

More pics of the GTO....

The last two is of the snow once melted away.
Attached Images

post #8 of 24 Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Here is a 458 that was spotted in London...
Attached Images

post #9 of 24 Old 12-23-2010, 08:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSOMIO View Post
Yes - I would be worried about the repair bill or other cars slamming into it in an icy car park. Preventable trouble in my view.
I suppose ignorance is bliss
post #10 of 24 Old 12-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
The dirt on the back of that GTO makes me cringe. I would never let any of my cars (other than Dozer) look like that.

Worried that some knucklehead near me would lose control or cleaning that I'd have to do, I couldn't enjoy driving the Spider in inclement weather.

But Capo, my hat's off to you and those that do !
post #11 of 24 Old 12-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
I understand the 458 left out in the snow ...They have that additional heating capacity under the bonnet. (JK)

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 12-24-2010 at 07:48 AM.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
They are so much fun I just can't resist using them all year round. I respect all other ways of Ferrari ownership and driving habits. After all, the owner is right because it is his car and his personal ownership is his personal trip.
I think it's a view that makes a lot of sense. I just choose not to agree with it - maybe I get to enjoy my Ferraris less but to me it is worth the sacrifice.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #13 of 24 Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post
I also find it a beautiful sight since the owner can really afford the car and does not warship it as an idol or treat it as anything but what it is “a car”.

I know in the early days (even now) you would buy a Ferrari to race it, wreak it, and if not dead then fix it and repeat. I feel bad for a sunny day GTO. It should be getting a thorough weekend thrashing at the nearest track by an owner who is truly living life. That would be a happy GTO.

Either you buy it as a car or you can treat it as art. I bought a car and I am keeping it that way. I hope I always feel this way……..Steve
post #14 of 24 Old 01-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
My only concern about all the above is a proper warm up before using and proper driving in that type of weather.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #15 of 24 Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
My only concern about all the above is a proper warm up before using and proper driving in that type of weather.
Now that is very sensible.......Steve
post #16 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
Either you buy it as a car or you can treat it as art.
I'm sorry but those are not the only two options you have. My 1966 330GTC is one of the best out there and I keep it that way. I want her to be able to enter a concours and vie for top honours. But that doesn't mean that she doesn't get driven. I drove almost 10,000 miles in 12 months in that car and she encountered absolutely torrential rain more than once. But that is not the same as exposing the car to corroding salt. When there is snow or ice outside, the cars stay in, because corrosive salt gets everywhere and gets reactivated every time it gets moist. So it slowly starts rotting away your car over several years, from the inside (like on the bent edge of a wheel arch, or in the small gaps between the chassis and the body).

I treat all my Ferraris this way, modern or vintage.

And by the way, thrashing a car is never the way. You treat the machinery with respect if you want it to last, all the good drivers did back in the day, also with their GTOs. This doesn't mean that you can't make it work for its money, that's a different thing. My 330 sees the redline very regularly. But I don't treat it like a modern car because it isn't one. You learn its niggles and make sure that your driving style adapts to what the car needs.

And don't forget - lots of materials are getting scarce. I'm looking for synchros for my 330GTC and can't find them. Thrashing a GTO is all great talk in the pub but owners know better. Nick Mason is not treating his GTO the way he used to, doing the school run in winter. The car still gets raced but he's much more selective because he knows it is getting harder to keep that car the way it needs to.

Onno

Last edited by JazzyO; 01-12-2011 at 02:26 AM.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Owner

I am sorry that I came off so flippant. There is no doubt as to how special these cars are and that treating them with due respect is required. I just don’t want, for me, to warship the car since at that point it loses its practical value.

I will be afraid to drive it for fear of spoiling its absolute perfection. So somewhere in the middle there should be a balance that allows you to really drive the car and maintain it to its utmost luster.

When I said Thrashing, I really should have said, used the car to its greatest ability along with your own. I agree that some cars are worth preserving for all time based on what the owner feels and that is their right.

On the other hand, there are a lot of modern models made and I don’t feel I owe history a preserved car. It is OK to use it up and then it is done.

Entropy is a fact of life. If you have the means, you can stave it off, maybe forever. But the cost is ever increasing and at some time it becomes more art than car………Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I'm sorry but those are not the only two options you have. My 1966 330GTC is one of the best out there and I keep it that way. I want her to be able to enter a concours and vie for top honours. But that doesn't mean that she doesn't get driven. I drove almost 10,000 miles in 12 months in that car and she encountered absolutely torrential rain more than once. But that is not the same as exposing the car to corroding salt. When there is snow or ice outside, the cars stay in, because corrosive salt gets everywhere and gets reactivated every time it gets moist. So it slowly starts rotting away your car over several years, from the inside (like on the bent edge of a wheel arch, or in the small gaps between the chassis and the body).

I treat all my Ferraris this way, modern or vintage.

And by the way, thrashing a car is never the way. You treat the machinery with respect if you want it to last, all the good drivers did back in the day, also with their GTOs. This doesn't mean that you can't make it work for its money, that's a different thing. My 330 sees the redline very regularly. But I don't treat it like a modern car because it isn't one. You learn its niggles and make sure that your driving style adapts to what the car needs.

And don't forget - lots of materials are getting scarce. I'm looking for synchros for my 330GTC and can't find them. Thrashing a GTO is all great talk in the pub but owners know better. Nick Mason is not treating his GTO the way he used to, doing the school run in winter. The car still gets raced but he's much more selective because he knows it is getting harder to keep that car the way it needs to.

Onno

Last edited by needspeed; 01-12-2011 at 06:53 AM.
post #18 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
So somewhere in the middle there should be a balance that allows you to really drive the car and maintain it to its utmost luster.
That, to me, is a very eloquent way of summarising the way I want to treat my cars.

Onno

post #19 of 24 Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
I saw a Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 out in the snow and a Maserati GranTurismo that was parked outside of a restaurant in 2 inches of snow and -5 F.

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #20 of 24 Old 01-27-2011, 04:38 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Most of the pictures above show cars parked outside with snow having fallen upon them. i.e. the cars are not being driven in the snow. There appears to be an inherent assumption that if a car is parked and happens to be covered in snow that it was actually driven in the snow. Obviously this is not necessarily the case. It could well be that the owner of the GTO, 458 etc decided to leave the car where it was rather than risk driving it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode