Obtaining service history - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Obtaining service history

I am in the process of looking at some 360s for sale and came across a problem of obtaining the service history. I do know not to purchase without the full history so I will not do so but here is my rant.
The dealer selling the car only has the second half of the history. The dealer that has the first half of the history does not want to give it out due to legal reasons. (this is what they said to me when i requested the records and then they tried to sell me one of their cars). We all know that this is a cutthroat business and they are competitors. Is this the norm and should i expect some of this before finding the car I am looking for? Is there some other was to obtain the history?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 67
The prior owners did not keep copies of the records? Hiding something!
I would walk away unless the current dealer can get the complete records from the other dealer. To many well documented 360's out there.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
Legal reasons my foot. The only legitimate concern in this regard is safegurading the prior owners personal information (i.e. address and phone number). They can easily remove that info in any copies they make for a new or prospective owner.

post #4 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Ferrari of Washington resisted giving me the service records on my 550 up to the very end, until I made it a condition of the sale. And even then the salesman moaned about all the time & trouble it was causing, having to mask the previous owners' personal information while he was manually copying all the (paper) records. Give me a break; is it my fault they have such an antiquated system for keeping service records?

As it turned out with my car, there were no real surprises in the service history, just the usual 550 problems. It was simply a matter of a lazy salesman trying to get out of providing them.

To me, the service records are akin to someone's personal medical history, and it's essential to know where the problem areas were and if/when they've been sorted. Not having them would diminish the value of the car, and, IMO, could be a good reason to pass on its purchase.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #5 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Ferrari of Washington resisted giving me the service records on my 550 up to the very end, until I made it a condition of the sale. And even then the salesman moaned about all the time & trouble it was causing, having to mask the previous owners' personal information while he was manually copying all the (paper) records. Give me a break; is it my fault they have such an antiquated system for keeping service records?

As it turned out with my car, there were no real surprises in the service history, just the usual 550 problems. It was simply a matter of a lazy salesman trying to get out of providing them.

To me, the service records are akin to someone's personal medical history, and it's essential to know where the problem areas were and if/when they've been sorted. Not having them would diminish the value of the car, and, IMO, could be a good reason to pass on its purchase.
Thanks for your input. You made a very good point about not having the records would diminish the value of the car, especially when it was time for me to sell it.
I fully understand the privacy issue as i am a medical professional. I deal with this all the time but getting information out without revealing a persones identity is quite possible if you make the effort. I just believe the dealer is trying to jeopardize the sale of the car and trying to get me to buy one of theirs. Of course after that display they won't get any business from me.
BTW, did Josh Hill assist you with your purchase? He mentioned a scanarioi about a 550 that he also had trouble attaining the service history.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Yes, Josh's assistance during the whole process was invaluable; as a result of his PPI, I was in a much stronger negotiating position with the dealer and was able to purchase the car at a substantial discount. And I committed to buy the car without having seen or driven it myself, solely on the basis of my dialogue with Josh and the results of his PPI. After the purchase, I left the car with him to have the PPI issues sorted, plus have a few "fun" mods done (Larini X pipe, etc.) He's just now finishing the car, and I look forward to enjoying it soon.

I consider Josh a rare find, and you owners and potential owners in the DC area are lucky to have him. I'm hoping to convince him into moving further south by plying him with some great TexMex & margaritas when he delivers my car.

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

post #7 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Yes, Josh's assistance during the whole process was invaluable; as a result of his PPI, I was in a much stronger negotiating position with the dealer and was able to purchase the car at a substantial discount. And I committed to buy the car without having seen or driven it myself, solely on the basis of my dialogue with Josh and the results of his PPI. After the purchase, I left the car with him to have the PPI issues sorted, plus have a few "fun" mods done (Larini X pipe, etc.) He's just now finishing the car, and I look forward to enjoying it soon.

I consider Josh a rare find, and you owners and potential owners in the DC area are lucky to have him. I'm hoping to convince him into moving further south by plying him with some great TexMex & margaritas when he delivers my car.
Saw your car at Josh's place a few weeks ago. Beautiful. Best of luck with her. So far Josh has been such a great help. Willing to answer all my questions and go the extra mile. Looks like i will have to find something that outdoes the TexMex and margaritas in order to keep him here
post #8 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fanforlife View Post
Looks like i will have to find something that outdoes the TexMex and margaritas in order to keep him here

No need. I'm in the government. We have a the dirt on him.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
No need. I'm in the government. We have a the dirt on him.
Excellent!!
post #10 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Managed to obtain the records!!
Amazing what you can do when push hard enough. Just sucks that it takes some pounding to get something as simple as this out of someone. At least I am one step closer to owning a FERRARI!
post #11 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Saw your car at Josh's place a few weeks ago. Beautiful. Best of luck with her. So far Josh has been such a great help. Willing to answer all my questions and go the extra mile. Looks like i will have to find something that outdoes the TexMex and margaritas in order to keep him here
Well, in addition to the PPI business that I gave him, which really wasn't much, I felt it only fair that he should share in the cost savings that he helped generate in the purchase price, so essentially everything (and then some) that was saved from the purchase price went back into the car, at his shop, for some needed preventive maintenance and fun stuff.

He's a struggling young businessman, and although he'll bend over backwards to help you, try to throw some work his way if you get the car. The poor boy needs to eat - he must have dropped 10 pounds since the last time I saw him. I'll try to put some meat back on his bones next week with some beef fajitas and BBQ baby back ribs

Edit: Congrats on getting the service history; hope there are no nasty surprises.

post #12 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Well, in addition to the PPI business that I gave him, which really wasn't much, I felt it only fair that he should share in the cost savings that he helped generate in the purchase price, so essentially everything (and then some) that was saved from the purchase price went back into the car, at his shop, for some needed preventive maintenance and fun stuff.

He's a struggling young businessman, and although he'll bend over backwards to help you, try to throw some work his way if you get the car. The poor boy needs to eat - he must have dropped 10 pounds since the last time I saw him. I'll try to put some meat back on his bones next week with some beef fajitas and BBQ baby back ribs

Edit: Congrats on getting the service history; hope there are no nasty surprises.
Thanks John.
Josh has been great and he deserves my business when I get my car. I will definitely use him as he does appear to be very knowledgeable and is so willing to provide good service.
I will be getting the history faxed tomorrow so we will see what it says. The guy I spoke with said there was nothing major so that is a good start.
Will keep you posted.
Thanks for the support.
Kevin.
post #13 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 70
Quote:
The guy I spoke with said there was nothing major so that is a good start.
Who did you speak to? In the old days, it was safe to assume that your salesman/phone contact knew what to look at (and what is considered "major",) but you still need to do your own research and bring in the experts.

Josh is indeed a great new resource on the West side of the DC area.
post #14 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.F.B. View Post
Who did you speak to? In the old days, it was safe to assume that your salesman/phone contact knew what to look at (and what is considered "major",) but you still need to do your own research and bring in the experts.
Absolutely agree. Need to review the full history on paper and do a PPI.
post #15 of 22 Old 12-30-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Update

Hi all,
Just wanted to post a quick update if anyone is interested how I am progressing.
I did finally get the history i was looking for and it was worth the effort. Gave me all the info i needed NOT to move ahead with the car. Still looking and have looked at quite a few already.
Main reason for the update is to thank you all and this forum for your useful information and advice. You have helped me stay out of trouble and as time goes on I keep learning more and more.
Thanks again and Happy New Year to all.
Kevin.
post #16 of 22 Old 12-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Owner

So what was in the history that waved you off ?
post #17 of 22 Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

In the early part of the car's life it had hit either a curb or pothole which severely damaged the front wheel and the fender. Wheel had to be replaced, bumper repaired and painted. Did not indicate any frame damage. Also the rear wheels were replaced due to excessive wear at low mileage. Just seems like this car was driven hard and had some damage so I decided to pass. Lot of cars out there so I am being patient and still looking. Hopefully will have some really good news to post soon.
Kevin.
post #18 of 22 Old 01-11-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Getting closer. Having a PPI done this week on a 2005 360 spider.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I had lost track of this thread and just got caught up. That was some priceless back patting going on there, thank you sirs!

It's almost painful looking for a car when you know "too much". On the other side there are a lot of misrepresented cars out there and it's easy to pay too much for too little.

The '05 you're looking at right now seems to be an honest car if nothing else which goes a long way.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Just want to thank all for their help. My red and tan 2005 360 spider will be here next week weather permitting. Can't wait. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can take her for a spin.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode