No 458 Scud variant? Interview with Luca - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
No 458 Scud variant? Interview with Luca

Interesting. Looks like they aren't planning a 458 CS/Scud or it's just smoke and mirrors.

Enzo in the next 3 years.

Welcomes McLaren competition. Good interview and read.

Interview released today:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...-%2BFez%2BLife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
Thanks Andrew, very interesting indeed.

There's one part I don't understand - I don't see how his math adds up. He says 'We will continue with one new model a year, and variations on our existing range." Does that mean one or the other, i.e. one new car OR a model improvement in any given year? With no current project to replace the 612, I don't see how it all adds up.

Also interesting to see their overseas sales strategy. They want to reduce the US waiting time but not match demand. Only way to do that and increase sales is to increase foreign sales. Is Ferrariworld what it take to entice the gulf states to buy more? I wonder what China and India will want?

And with our current thread discussing the subject, I couldn't help but smile at his comments regarding replicas!
post #3 of 20 Old 12-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
No 458 CS/Scud.....until they decide otherwise.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
No Scud version - I am heartbroken.

I completely disagree with Luca here, the 458 can easily be improved upon. It is not so much about the speed, it is about the focus on a more hardcore experience. Because the 458 is many things, but hardcore it is not.

And by the way, if we can't improve on the 458, does that mean the 458 is the last V8 Ferrari will ever build? Of course not.

Luca knows all this, of course. So smoke and mirrors is my guess.

It's interesting, BTW, that he doesn't answer the question "what do you think of the McLaren 12C".

And I liked his comments on F1. Although most of his complaints go against his own comments about how the cost of F1 needs to be kept down.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 20 Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
And by the way, if we can't improve on the 458, does that mean the 458 is the last V8 Ferrari will ever build? Of course not.

Luca knows all this, of course. So smoke and mirrors is my guess.
Onno,

Exactly, was waiting for this comment to stir up the conversation. The, "I can't build an airship..." or whatever it was, made me think, so he is saying they've reached the end of design and innovation?

I like what you say about hardcore as well. In the end, a stripped down 458 will/would be indeed a different focus many owners would buy into.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
It is smoke and mirrors. The 458 Scuderia comes in 2013. Here is the appropriate slide from the April 2010 Fiat shareholders meeting presentation.

The 612 replacement is being shown to invited customers at the factory this month with a public launch at Geneva in March. The 458 spider makes it's debut at Frankfurt next September.
Attached Images

post #7 of 20 Old 12-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Oh, think there is enough smoke in the interview to merit calling a fire truck. Liked the comment about the successor to the 612, he states it is not a current project. Have been told several times that it will be launched next year. Guess it is not a current project as it is already finished....

On the 458 Scud/CS, given that they have already launched the 458 Challenge, most of the light weight work has already been done.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
I can't imagine Ferrari not doing a Scud version. My local dealer assured me the were planning one before I choose not to buy the 458 and bought my 430 Scud instead. There's a bunch of guys like me that really love the more hard core nature of these cars and given the price premium they can charge I have to believe it will make economic sense for Ferrari (I really hope so).

On another topic I think Luca ducks the real issue that pisses me off, that been the Disneyfication of Ferrari. I really wish they would dial down the theme parks and merchandise side of the business (although at 20% of margin I doubt that will happen) Jeremy Clarkson gets it spot on when he says "that stuff is for idiots" - Nuf said! :-)

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"
post #9 of 20 Old 12-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 134
I think there will be a lightened/ focused / Scud version of the 458 only if the demand is there. I suspect the demand is there. It would be interesting to know how many enquiries have been made via the dealer network with regard to a Scud variant. Probably many. Ferrari is a business. They wont build a product they can't sell. Conclusion - It's likely there will be a " Scud" 458.
My theory on the 'tat'. I believe that secretly Ferrari don't mind all that much. Any publicity is good publicity. The knock off stuff available on the market stalls all over the world is free branding to Ferrari. Just because a person can afford a 5 baseball cap or 6 knock-off towel doesn't mean they can afford the car. For many these cheap items are the only way they can be involved in this aspirational brand. The car remains exclusive because of price and production numbers. The exclusivity remains despite the tat. And, possibly, because of it.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainuk View Post
It is smoke and mirrors. The 458 Scuderia comes in 2013. Here is the appropriate slide from the April 2010 Fiat shareholders meeting presentation.

The 612 replacement is being shown to invited customers at the factory this month with a public launch at Geneva in March. The 458 spider makes it's debut at Frankfurt next September.
Very enlightening! Thanks for that!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #11 of 20 Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Looks like it'll be called the Challenge again. Ferrari showed it off at the Bologna motor show this week.

"Everyone loves a special-edition, track-focused Ferrari and the time has come for the 458 o get a taste of the Maranello magic. At this week's 2010 Bologna Motor Show, Ferrari has devoted its stand to serve as storyboard showcasing the automaker's racing heritage. The newest piece of that history takes the form of the Ferrari 458 Challenge, which is finally making its world debut.

The 458 Challenge is the fifth model to get placed into a single-series racing program. The standard 458 Italia is already such a potent beast that the Challenge keeps the changes away from the engine bay leaving it with the same 570 horsepower as the standard 458 Italia. That said, the gear ratios and calibration of the dual-clutch transmission have been adjusted so that the Challenge generates more torque at lower revs.

Stiffer springs and a lower ride height help keep the body planted around the large Pirelli tires. That rubber hugs 19-inch forged alloys with a central locking nut. The brakes are upgraded to the newest setup that Brembo offers, and the system is paired with the ABS that debuted on the wild-child Ferrari 599XX

Both the suspension and braking get a helping hand from something that has been reduced: weight. Ferrari has focused on reducing the thickness of the body panels, as well as introducing materials such as carbon fiber and Lexan.

All of the upgrades found on the Ferrari 458 Challenge result in a potent, track-ready machine that is faster than the 458 Italia it's based on. The 458 Challenge hit Ferrari's home Fiorano race track for numerous test sessions, and during the course of development, it was able to post lap times two seconds faster than the Italia. During testing, the 458 Challenge also pulled lateral grip numbers in the neighborhood of 1.6 g's. Giggity."

What do you guys think? I did a quick check and it doesn't look like this has been discussed elsewhere on the forums.
Attached Images

post #12 of 20 Old 12-07-2010, 04:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
The Challenge car is not the Scuderia variant. It's Ferrari's customer race version of the 458 and isn't homogolated for road use. It follows on from the 430 Challenge series car.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-07-2010, 07:00 AM

Hm, I wasn't aware of that. What of the 360? Was there a "Challenge" customer race version in addition to the Challenge Stradale?
post #14 of 20 Old 12-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post
Hm, I wasn't aware of that. What of the 360? Was there a "Challenge" customer race version in addition to the Challenge Stradale?
In terms of racing variants, not homologated (or at least intended) for road use, we have seen since 1990:

The 348 Challenge, the 355 Challenge, 360 Challenge, 360GTC and 360 N-GT, the 430 GT2 and some other variants of the 430 I am not aware of. There were also the 550GTC and 575GTC.

There is quite a difference between the various 360 variants, the 360 Challenge is much easier to run than the N-GT and GTC, both of which use much more sophisticated systems and ideally need Ferrari factory technicians with their laptops. Be careful when buying these cars!!! I know someone who has bought a GTC in 2008 and last time I heard he still had not driven it, over 2 years later! All due to the fact that these cars are meant to be run by a team, and the factory charges a fortune for support. The 360 Challenge is the easiest to run, and doesn't require much.

Here's a 360 Challenge for sale (that in a lonely moment at night I half think about buying): http://www.scrooge.nl/showproduct.php?id=117

And none of these cars can be compared to the 360 CS, which is a roadcar with a sporty edge.

Onno

post #15 of 20 Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Here's a 360 Challenge for sale (that in a lonely moment at night I half think about buying): http://www.scrooge.nl/showproduct.php?id=117

Onno
Boy this guy must really believe the cars sell themselves, not a single detail only "ready to be used" - no hard sell here :-)

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"
post #16 of 20 Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermot View Post
Boy this guy must really believe the cars sell themselves, not a single detail only "ready to be used" - no hard sell here :-)
You don't have to worry about him, he brokered 250 GTO 4757 this year amongst many others. He knows what he's doing (although I agree his marketing tools could use a brush-up).

Onno

post #17 of 20 Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post

Yes, here is my former 360 Challenge:
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/sh...36&postcount=3
post #18 of 20 Old 12-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Wow Boxer!

You certainly have many strings on your guitar. You have owned a real 360 Challange! That immediately makes me wonder how it compares to Mo?!

A few years ago I drove 40 laps in a 360 Challange and I couldn't believe a race car could be that good. It was my first time in a race car and my first time on a track and with that fabulous car it was one of my greatest moments on four wheels. That car is absolutely magic!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Wow Boxer!

You certainly have many strings on your guitar. You have owned a real 360 Challange! That immediately makes me wonder how it compares to Mo?!

A few years ago I drove 40 laps in a 360 Challange and I couldn't believe a race car could be that good. It was my first time in a race car and my first time on a track and with that fabulous car it was one of my greatest moments on four wheels. That car is absolutely magic!

The 360 Challenge was great. Very fast and handled brilliantly. However, if you put slicks on Mo, I think it would eat the 360 Challenge's lunch on a track.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post

Wow, Boxer, that's fantastic!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode