Dealer Damaged My F430 Spider - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Dealer Damaged My F430 Spider

Hello everyone - I am happy to have joined this forum and am seeking advice under a very unfortunate circumstance. Recently I brought my pristine 2005 F430 Spider with only 2K miles into the dealership for warranty work and routine maintenance. When I got it home, I closely examined the car and saw the under part of the right front fender was scratched. They had to take the car for an off premises inspection and apparently bottomed the car out. I am out of my mind over this. I contacted them and they said we apologize if we did it and will fix it at a body shop. I asked which body shop and it's noting more then your basic run of the mill shop. Hardly looked like a high end place.

The bigger problem for me is how the car has now been devalued as a painted car of this caliber is always looked upon negatively. Them merely repairing and painting is really a by the way to the bigger problem which is now my car is determined to be hit. Any advise on how I might approach handling this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Let the dealer fix it to your satisfaction, then drive it and enjoy it. Surely you didn't buy this car to be put in a glass case did you? You want a museum piece or you want a driver's car? The dealer seems to be trying to make you happy. Let them do it. The first time you nail a curb with the spoiler you'll be back at them with your tail between your legs. Don't worry about depreciation, worry about enjoyment. If it costs you a few thousand bucks, oh well. Would have lost that on a Mazda.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Just about any Ferrari that has been driven on the road will have bottomed out on the underside of the front bumper at some point. It is normally a simple touch up and should not affect the value of the car.

I have never heard of anyone knocking the price down on a 5-10 year old Ferrari with a few thousand miles on it because it had a stone chip respray.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,338
Stockwell,

This is a common theme and seems to reappear on the forum at semi-annual intervals.

Your car has not been devalued in any appreciable way. In fact, it has lost more value acquiring you on its history list of owners and from the still depreciating market.

I put a small scratch in my car three months after I got it. It's not noticible but I was livid with myself. For three minutes...... Then, I got back to the job at hand, which is enjoying it.

A Capt Pete says, you're going to scratch the car going in and out of driveways, over speed bumps, and dips in the road. If you can't see the scratch unless you are on your hands and knees, I say don't bother fixing it.

My advice is get back to enjoying it.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
The less you worry about the small stuff, the more you will enjoy the car. My story is similar. I read all the forums before i bought my ferrari. I was indoctrinated into the low mileage, pristine philosophy. I searched the country for the perfect car. I found it and paid a premium for it. My heart was in the right place because i came from a car show history. When i got the car and experienced how fun it was to drive, the mileage and garage queen ethos went out the door. Wish i had paid less for a less cosmetically perfect and low mileage car. Now i have one . As they say, shit happens. If the dealer did a nice job on the re-spray, i don't think i would be too worried about it. I understand your upset, no one wants anything to happen to their prized possessions, but inevitably it does. Not sure why you say the car will be considered "hit". maybe there is more to the story. I doubt there are many 5+ yo ferraris that haven't had a little paint work done on the front end. Go out and drive it in anger and you will feel much better.

PS, notice above the avatar of all your responders "owner". you won't get that on any other site.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by wetpet; 12-02-2010 at 08:32 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
I agree with the general consensus. When I first got my F430 I would get all worked up about the front underside and how pristine it should be. Like the others I have realized that it does not do anything to your value and simply causes stress. The dealer will ALWAYS remove that bumper and paint it nice and pretty prior to the next owner. Aside from my clear bra which is more testament to me actually driving the hell out of my car, if you were to look under my front bumper, you would immediately become at ease in comparison to what you are looking at on your Spider. Think of your car like a Rolex. Wear it everyday! Not just on good occassions. Scratches on Rolexs build character and it tells the people around you that you bought it as a watch vs a show off piece. In same fashion, Enzo doesn't want us to be garage queens, babying our time pieces. He wanted his customers to feel alive while driving them! Also congrats on the purchase!

Life is short. Enjoy It!

-2005 F430 F1 Gearbox
post #7 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockwell777 View Post
The under part of the right front fender was scratched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockwell777 View Post

The bigger problem for me is how the car has now been devalued as a painted car of this caliber is always looked upon negatively.

Hello, welcome to the forum, F430 Spider…..NICE car.

Dont forget to post some pictures for us to appreciate your new mistress.

Ok, the underside of the car? No offence but shit happens. They will fix it….ok, problem solved. Now the next 500 miles you will put on it, you will bottom it maybe twice or more. AND….you WILL FREAK OUT…..I did, pulled over and got under the car in a panic…..and nothing, a scratch the size of a cigarette. It happened 3 more times and just small scratches that nobody sees.

I bought my car and it was not perfect BUT it was driven and therefore taken care of and not a garage queen that was never taken care of….basically a sitting time bomb for engine problems. Mine has a little road rash and some because of me but you know….this car is the best thing I ever did for me…..and I emphasize the word “ME”.

Like Captain Pete said, when you do it and go back to the dealer to have it resprayed or worst, fixed because you cracked it….you will understand what he meant.

As far as value is concerned…who told you this??? A non owner who never understood what it’s all about???

When I read “The Dealer damaged my car” I thought they backed it up in a Volvo or something and crushed the rear quarter panel and destroyed the lights or something. Now THAT is different….but paint….under the car… hahaha….you will get over it trust me.

What you need to do is drive it like it was your last day on earth and trust me….it will go away. Ferrari’s are not museum pieces, they were meant for racing for the regular guy that has the race car driver in his heart to fully enjoy it.

I’m assuming this is your first Ferrari? For me, mine is as well AND certainly not my last. The last owner put 2000 miles on it in 5 years; I put 3500 miles in 3 months and can’t get enough of it. I’m not saying I don’t take care of it; on the contrary, I’m actually fixing all the little things that are stupid cosmetic like the cylinder to hold up the console panels and glove boxes etc…

For me it’s a driving passion. I hope you bought yours for the same reason, if not.....well, I can’t help you there...and hope your 430 Spider looks awesome in your living room...hehehe!!!!!

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6464; 12-07-2010 at 03:20 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Stockwell, very welcome to Ferrari Life and to the stone chip club!

Your car is fantastic, congratulations! I own a 430 Spider too. I have stopped ordering the transparent protective front plastic when ordering a new car. It is like kissing a girl with too much lip stick. My advice rhymes with the other posts: Drive the car hard and show it who is the boss. Then budget for a frontal respray every three to four years.

In Spain they say "May the first scratch come quickly so you stop worrying and start driving!"

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post

In Spain they say "May the first scratch come quickly so you stop worrying and start driving!"
are you sure they were referring to cars?
post #10 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
are you sure they were referring to cars?
It's a general remedy...

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
i utilized the front raise system this am in my lamborghini and STILL heard a little something as i back out of the driveway...a bit of remaining unmelted snow was the culprit...and with the lift completely in the "up" position....i refuse to climb under there & look...just took it out, wound her up and had a nice little exercise before getting back into the garage. i wouldnt bother getting it sprayed if its underneath..enjoy the car.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
i utilized the front raise system this am in my lamborghini and STILL heard a little something as i back out of the driveway...a bit of remaining unmelted snow was the culprit...and with the lift completely in the "up" position....i refuse to climb under there & look...just took it out, wound her up and had a nice little exercise before getting back into the garage. i wouldnt bother getting it sprayed if its underneath..enjoy the car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode