question about my first purchase - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
question about my first purchase

This is a follow up to my first purchase question previously posted.
I have been doing my research and have read the buyers guide. I am still trying to figure out the best way to pick up a good buy without travelling the country to find it. I have read that you donít want to just buy the first car you see but test drive a few. Now this makes sense but it will not be possible to fly around the country to do this. Have never purchased a car that is far from where I live so this is new to me. I am sure some of you out there have been through this already so any help is appreciated.
Kevin.
F1fanforlife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
Kevin,


There are few things in this world that trade hands for large sums of money based solely on a handshake: weapons, drugs, art, diamonds. Add Ferrari's to that list. For these things, it often takes large testosterone receptacles to join in the fun. It’s the nature of the game you’re about to enter and just one of the reasons why the owners club is an exclusive one.

To the matter at hand, there are two parts to your question; the first is driving the model of car you are interested in, the second is driving the prospective car you will buy. There are a number of ways to solve this challenge. Here’s my way:

On the first part, I was lucky in that I was able to rent and drive the models I was interested in while on vacation in Italy. That sounds like it is not an option for you, so I’ll let others here with more local experience give you recommendations on how to sample a 360.

On the second part, most owners, and to a lesser extent dealers, will not let you test drive their car without relative assurance you are a serious buyer. In my case, the seller knew I was serious when I had paid for and conducted a PPI inspection. I then had skin in the game and wasn’t just wasting his time. So once we began the price negotiations, a test drive was a natural part of the process.

I knew and trusted the individual who performed the PPI. Additionally, for any particular car I was interested in, I assumed it would drive like any other 360. So had the car been located far away, once it past its PPI I would have felt comfortable buying it without having driven it. That was a risk I was willing to take.

I think many here will tell you of similar viable scenarios.

Killer

Last edited by Killer58; 12-01-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Killer58 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Kevin,


There are few things in this world that trade hands for large sums of money based solely on a handshake: weapons, drugs, art, diamonds. And Ferrari's. For these things, it often takes large testosterone receptacles to join in the fun. Itís the nature of the game youíre about to enter and just one of the reasons why the owners club is an exclusive one.

To the matter at hand, there are two parts to your question; the first is driving the model of car you are interested in, the second is driving the prospective car you will buy. There are a number of ways to solve this challenge. Hereís my way:

On the first part, I was lucky in that I drove the models I was interested in while on vacation in Italy. That sounds like it is not an option for you, so Iíll let others here with more local experience give you recommendations on how to sample a 360.

On the second part, most owners, and to a lesser extent dealers, will not let you test drive their car without relative assurance you are a serious buyer. In my case, the seller knew I was serious when I had paid for and conducted a PPI inspection. I then had skin in the game and wasnít just wasting his time. So once we began the price negotiations, a test drive was a natural part of the process.

However, for the particular car I was interested in, I assumed it would drive like any other 360. I knew and trusted the individual who performed the PPI. So had the car been located far away, once it past its PPI I would have felt comfortable buying it without having driven it. That was a risk I was willing to take.

I think many here will tell you of similar viable scenarios.

Killer
Killer,
Thank you for your reply. You helped answer a few questions that i have been asking myself. Fortunately i do know someone that said i could drive their 360. Just need to get around to it. I will definitely get a PPI done prior to moving further. I realize and understand that most sellers will not just let people test drive before they have determined that the buyer is serious. Thanks again for your input. It was very helpful.
Kevin.
F1fanforlife is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Master Mechanic
 
ECSofVirginia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Working with someone that is experienced and trustworthy to relay the information you need is critical.

I often help guide local customers on what to ask about when inquiring on a car that is across the country to try and avoid potential flaws.

I've also helped customers that are from other states pick a car that is local to me.

These guys rely on my ability to aknowledge how the car drives compared to how it should drive and recommend whether or not it's good to buy.

I recently had a customer purchase a Ferrari he had never set foot in based on my explantion of the car's character. My explanation of the car met all of the traits he was seeking and then trusted me to PPI it.

You need to build a relantionship with someone that ahs technical background that you feel confident in to help you through the process.

A salesman will tell you what you want to hear, not what you need to hear.


ECSofVirginia is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Working with someone that is experienced and trustworthy to relay the information you need is critical.

I often help guide local customers on what to ask about when inquiring on a car that is across the country to try and avoid potential flaws.

I've also helped customers that are from other states pick a car that is local to me.

These guys rely on my ability to aknowledge how the car drives compared to how it should drive and recommend whether or not it's good to buy.

I recently had a customer purchase a Ferrari he had never set foot in based on my explantion of the car's character. My explanation of the car met all of the traits he was seeking and then trusted me to PPI it.

You need to build a relantionship with someone that ahs technical background that you feel confident in to help you through the process.

A salesman will tell you what you want to hear, not what you need to hear.
Thanks so much for your input. As you could see, I live in Fairfax and know exactly where you are located. I need to find the time to get to Sterling to meet you. BTW, what are your hours? Did not see any info on your website.
Thanks.
Kevin.
F1fanforlife is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 12-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Owner
 
Ingenere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Ferrari Life Posts: 104
I have bought more Ferrari's sight unseen than I can count. A few simple rules have helped me.

Talk to the owner, and get a feel for the owner.
Take a look at the history of the car (service and otherwise)
PPI

Depending on the results, I will make an offer and seal the deal. Use common sense and buy with your head and not your heart and you will do fine. Here's my latest...


Ciao

Dino
TR, F40, Mondialt cab, 308QV, 348 Challenge, CS
Ingenere is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 12-15-2010, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
F1fanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
I have bought more Ferrari's sight unseen than I can count. A few simple rules have helped me.

Talk to the owner, and get a feel for the owner.
Take a look at the history of the car (service and otherwise)
PPI

Depending on the results, I will make an offer and seal the deal. Use common sense and buy with your head and not your heart and you will do fine. Here's my latest...

Ingenere,
Thanks for the information. Like the your latest addition!
F1fanforlife is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale