"Continuation" Series Vintage Ferraris - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
"Continuation" Series Vintage Ferraris

Following up on the Luzzago discussion, should Ferrari allow and support the building of continuation series cars ? This seems to have worked fairly well on the GT40 and AC Cobra. It would certainly put a stop to the rebody business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
There may be some shortterm economic arguments to do so. On the other hand Ferrari would destroy its excellent, stand alone brand name in the world of marketing. If one senses how long it takes to create a brand name over time, I would not want to risk that name to become "shaded on certain edges". If you look at other products like Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Rolex, Cartier etc. and what price force they are able to apply on their products, then Ferrari should rather consider to decrease production. But its up to the stockholders to decide.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
I don't know the GT40 or Cobra line well enough, but I would ask what effect the continuations had on the value of originals? There are still the same number of originals so I would guess "not much".

post #4 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
How would they sell them?

If they are for road use then they would need to meet current standards which means they wouldn’t be much like the originals really.

If they are for track use only how much market is there? Some for sure but enough to make it worth finding or re-making tooling? They are already supplying any type of repair required for any model including making new engines available.

Also, while Ferrari is generally incredibly zealous in protecting the use (or maybe re-use in this case) of their designs they are don’t seem to pursue anyone who’s using primarily Ferrari parts. They don’t seem to bother the re-body shops (so really you could say the factory is in effect condoning the destruction of vintage cars) and they allow Bob Norwood to build and sell his P4 copies….so if somebody wanted to make and sell any other vintage body style using Ferrari engines I don’t think Ferrari would bother them ….but the only way the customer gets to have a Ferrari title in to cut up an original.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #6 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Some would argue this is already being done at Classiche. I am not quite so cynical.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode