How can one try to "justify" owning a sports car in response to a casual dissenter? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
How can one try to "justify" owning a sports car in response to a casual dissenter?

I and a few others traveled back to Penn State last weekend to attend the Michigan game and visit a few friends. On the way back a gorgeous jet black Lamborghini Diablo passed us on the highway... to the contempt of two of my friends riding along in our carpool.

Initially, they both jeered at the driver and the car with your typical childish pretense - things like "oh there goes a mid-life crisis," or "wonder what this guy's trying to compensate for?" But that died down and they started talking in slightly more practical terms.

"Why buy a car that you can hardly fit into?"

"Does he think there's an Autobahn nearby or something?"

"Oh he's sure going to get where he's going a lot faster than the rest of us with that car"

"What's the point of wasting all that money on a fast car when you still have to drive the speed limit?" (regarding that, lets forgo the fact that you technically can drive above the limit, even if its illegal)

Earlier, one of them had mentioned how he'd love to buy a BMW 5-series for a daily driver in a few years, so I asked him why he found the Lambo ridiculous when he himself would rather buy a luxury car over an economy car. He responded "I'd rather have a car that drives nice than waste money on a fast one that you can't actually use."

I replied, "you realize there's a lot more to driving than a high top speed, right?" Which he shrugged off without responding to. I decided not to pursue the discussion further, and it was over as soon as the car was out of sight.

So my question is, how can one go about explaining the draw of driving a sports car to someone who only seems to look at it in terms of practicality or jealousy - without resorting to a pissing match? How would you reasonably try to respond to something like that?

Last edited by AlexbroPA; 11-02-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Hello Alex: Not exactly an answer, but a partial viewpoint of mine. In short, the answer may be "not a logic, but a hobby/passion". w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
I explain it by getting in my Spider, putting the top down, and going for a nice drive. Great thing about it - no words are even necessary....

post #4 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
There's a saying in my country: "a fool can ask more questions than a wise man can answer".

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
I guess its a case of every man to his own! There is not a lot of logic about owning an exotic car, its mostly about passion and the joy of driving. Most folks (Especially in the US) see a car as a functional getting from a to b etc. For them its the destination that counts not the journey. For me at least its the other way around, I love the journey and if I can do it in a car that feels so good on the road then all the better... A lot of people simply cannot relate to that sensation. (And thats not a criticism)

I think my next door neighbor is nuts as he jogs 10 miles almost every day. He's just had his second knee operation because of the damage he has done jogging but he'll still keep jogging cos its his passion - good for him! You got to have a passion in life -If driving wonderful cars "floats ur boat" --- all the better :-)

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"
post #6 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments, all! From my time on this forum I've become intimately familiar with the "passion, not logic" concept, so I absolutely understand that aspect of ownership. Right now though, I'm wondering how, functionally, one could actually try to respond in conversation to someone who just doesn't implicitly "get it." If you wanted to try explain your passion, how would you go about doing it?
post #7 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
There's a saying in my country: "a fool can ask more questions than a wise man can answer".
Onno
A great saying!

There is no point in trying to reason with those who do not get it. No way one could employ logic and cold reason to explain a passion. And anyway why justify it?

My experience shows that the Porsche engenders a fair amount of hostility from other drivers many of whom wish to race us, whereas the 308 tends to have the opposite effect with lots of thumbs up and waves from other drivers. Either way I drive the car for myself, not to make other people feel good or bad or inadequate or superior. Of course it is a bonus to share the beauty of the car with others with mutual thumbs up and waving but it is not about driving my cars for others. Rather I drive my cars to realise some boyhood dreams as well as to realise some new dreams along the way from driving beautiful cars that are passions rather than appliances. My appliance is a rusty old bicycle that I cycle on to work each day. My cars combine my passions for driving beauty history travel speed and music.

Funnily enough in some recent applicance car ads I have noticed some snobbery going on. For instance one advert shows a proud relative at a hospital car park removing a small teddy bear from the boot of their car as a present for a new baby. Suddenly a new Skoda estate pulls up, electrically operated tailgate snappily snaps open and smug driver removes massive teddy bear that puts the first one in the shade. Leaving the once proud relative shamefaced. You go Skoda-man!
Or how about a Seat estate ad where a jealous neighbour, clearly clueless that such a fine machine could be affordable, is jealously admiring this beauty parked in the street and making snide comments to his obviously bored wife.

It seems ok to be snobbish if comparing one applicance to another or if in driving an applicance you notice a passion car. Just do not let the passion car show off, for instance by driving on the same road. That would just confirm what snobbish, elitist and (insert dastardly descriptions here) drivers of passion cars are!
post #8 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Hahaha....pretty funny....I have had that conversation many time....but he’s a BMW future owner, I dont even bother....LOL

All kidding aside....

Does he say the same thing when driving down a road where all the homes are $500.000 or more when one could live in a 800 square foot apartment?

Does you friend drink beer or any type of alcohol? Does he go to bars or clubs…if so why? There are several thousands of dollars wasted right there….what about making a lunch all the time and never go to a restaurant/café/cafeteria and does he make his own coffee and lug it around in a thermos all the time? What about buying a flat screen TV? A regular $150.00 21 inch tube TV is ok. Why spend money on sports events when you can watch it on TV? Turn on the 21 inch, have a glass of water and eat celery….MUCH MUCH cheaper..CD player….why???? turn on the radio….lots of free music there. Ipod/touch….why spend hundreds, buy a $10.00 portable radio the size of a lighter. Cell phone??? What's wrong with dropping a quarter in a payphone when you actually need to talk to someone???? Or wait until you get home.

How about that $100.00 pair of Nike’s and $100.00 Tommy jeans with a $500.00 leather jacket???? A $15 pair of shoes a $10 t-shirt and $10 sweat pants will do fine with a $30 jacket from Wall Mart. Why do any sports to stay in shape? Push ups, sit ups and jumping jacks cost nothing.

How about vacations? Why go on a trip for when you have the internet and TV? Why a BMW, Camry or an SUV? Why not a Toyota Echo with no A/C or power package, manually roll down those windows….get exercise and feel the fresh air…or better yet, take the bus the rest of your life.

Why buy a cottage? A boat? An ATV, a motorcycle? Hell why even spend $500.00 on a nice mountain bike when a Wall Mart one is $100.00 and will do the same? It might be heavy as hell but hey….you get to do exercise without getting a membership.

We could go on forever and ever on this topic. And no offence, it’s kind of useless chatter if you ask me (not you or even about asking the question) but the subject as a whole. I have had the same conversation with others who own $100,000 cottages with $60,000 bass boats being hauled by a $50,000 truck when I paid what a bass boat costs and I am the one being told I wasted my money. I personally can’t stand cottages and boats…so to me they are as useless as masturbating with sandpaper.

Good luck in your future conversations with your friends…..

My 2 cents.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6464; 11-02-2010 at 09:36 AM.
post #9 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
All such pointless questions where you can detect envy is best answered by repeating the very question with the voice of a retard. They normally give up the attitude immediately. If not, keep repeating their smart remarks in your best retard impersonation voice. They will eventually retreat their attack not to bother you again.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #10 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post
Right now though, I'm wondering how, functionally, one could actually try to respond in conversation to someone who just doesn't implicitly "get it." If you wanted to try explain your passion, how would you go about doing it?
For many of us, it's about fulfilling the fantasy/dream of a lifetime. Some of us (ahem) have waited nearly 50 years to do it.

It may seem shallow to those who "don't get it", but for those of us with gasoline in our blood, cars & their engines are an integral part of our personalities, and owning/driving a Ferrari (or insert Lambo/Porsche/Aston/Jaguar, etc) is the culmination of a lifetime. It's not about "image", or the "look at me" effect it has on others. It's about enjoying every aspect of this wonderful piece of mechanical art whether it's in public or in private. I know that once my 550 arrives home, I fully expect to spend a lot of time with it out in the garage, at weird hours, sitting in a comfortable chair with my favorite beverage, just looking and admiring. And I'll bet I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

To put this into conversation with the skeptics, I think one way to express it is to find out what their passion/dream is, and then ask them to put a price on it. Ask them if they had that amount of disposable income available, without adversely affecting their family, their bills, or their retirement, would they have the nerve to fulfill their dream, or would they just put it in the bank and continue wishing and hoping for that dream to come true?

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #11 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbroPA View Post
So my question is, how can one go about explaining the draw of driving a sports car to someone who only seems to look at it in terms of practicality or jealousy - without resorting to a pissing match? How would you reasonably try to respond to something like that?
Because I enjoy it.

There is not a need to justify it to anyone.
post #12 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Haha, I know what you mean, cribb. And that's a great way of describing it, too.

Sometimes it can be hard to comprehend someone else's lack of interest in automobiles. You have some ten thousand-odd moving parts in a vehicle, all working together in such a complex, flawless system. It's hard to understand how one could view it as no more than a means to an end.
post #13 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
except for you alex: He was in a carpool and found more things wrong than you did right. I see him being envious. I'd bet dollars to BMWs he would have enjoyed the ride to Penn State in a Lambo more than the 5 series.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #14 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post

Onno
Great one Onno. Love it

Must remember that next time I'm asked a question I don't know the answer to.

As for the topic in question, I'm with Boxer's sentiments.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #15 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
I'll paraphrase.

You know that you will marry a nice girl with intelligence, sense of humour and a caring and supportive nature. You'll love her with all your heart too.

That won't stop your pulse racing when you think about that leggy big breasted nymphomaniac blonde in the fishnets though will it.
post #16 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
In some cases buying a used exotic makes a lot more financial sense than a BMW. With the exception of the economy my Ferrari has pretty much held it's value and I suspect when things turn around it will be worth at least as much, if not more than I paid for it. Can anyone say that about a 5 series?

Go drive a 20 year old BMW and see how much attention it gets. Consider the Ferrari more like buying a piece of art. Although, the main reason to own one is because you like it, not what anyone else thinks.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #17 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Great one Onno. Love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
A great saying!
It's very traditional and part of Dutch popular culture, but it is one of my favourite phrases of all time. Any (non-Dutch) person I tell this to smiles and nods his/her head. It is a fantastic saying. I wish I'd ever had a beer with the guy (or girl) who thought it up.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #18 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Same reason some men spend tons of time and money "hybrid" cars. I don't get it, but hey if it makes them happy, go for it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #19 of 40 Old 11-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
The guy with the Lambo is obviously doing something right. The guy complaining about it is put off by such a "loud" purchase and has mentally tagged the Lambo owner as "over the top" and "conceited." It occurs every day. As humans we can't help but compare and "rate" ourselves to others. Anyone that is happier or appears better off gets us respectively questioning as humans. The people that truly understand happiness would have nothing but good things to stay to Mr. Lambo! I had a coach in the locker room tell me once..."You aren't going to get any bigger by watching the other guy lift weights next to you".... I own a Ferrari because it makes me smile and every time I turn on the engine, a bad day becomes a good day! As for your question...how to convince him that Mr. Lambo is an OK person with proper reason....hmmmm....question his own happiness with his current life's picture and what would make it complete? In same fashion, Mr. Lambo may have simply been honest with his own self as to what made him happy and simply had the "courage" to make it happen vs. your inquiring acquaintance.

Life is short. Enjoy It!

-2005 F430 F1 Gearbox
post #20 of 40 Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Wetpet, had it been a yellow one, I might have been motivated to argue the point more intently!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode