Connecting Rod "Gift" - What Ferrari Engine? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
Connecting Rod "Gift" - What Ferrari Engine?

I received a connecting rod to an old Ferrari engine as a gift recently. Attached are photos. The story is it was used as a paper weight for the last 15 years or so by the person that gave it to me. He received it from a mechanic at a high end Ferrari repair shop or so the story goes. That is all I know about it. Initially I was going to post this under "General Discussion" but opted for the "Tech Talk" forum instead. From end-to-end it measures right at 7.5". The number etched into is is "28184." I thought it would be neat to try to figure out what type of engine and/or car this came out of. Any help will be very appreciated!
Attached Images

Life is short. Enjoy It!

-2005 F430 F1 Gearbox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
355 or TR
post #3 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
bet MK_E can make a bad az leaf blower out of it, and a few other off the net pieces

BTW: Don't you just love the looks of that. No stray bits and puuuurfect

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
355 or TR
I'm guessing 355.

The 348 has steel rods, and the 360 Ti rods have blind holes if I remember right from the V12 build.

I thought the TR had steel rods too, no? I'd expect it to have 6-sided nuts with bolts like the 308 since they're from the same time period. I seem to remember the V12s had steel rods even through the 575. I'm not sure about the 599.

My other guess would be an F50 since it came from the same time period as the 355. I'm not sure if that had steel or Ti rods though - I would assume Ti in light of its lofty max rpm.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
that does not look like a typical V8 part to me. Def. NOT a standard 348. And, so, would probably not a next gen 355 IMO. Possible V12.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #6 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
that does not look like a typical V8 part to me. Def. NOT a standard 348. And, so, would probably not a next gen 355 IMO. Possible V12.
The thru-hole bolt desing is used on the 355 and 512TR (not the earlier versions, they were steel) and I think the F50 (they are Ti but I've never seen a pic of one)

The 360 and later engines use a blind hole.

It's probably 355 but it could be 512TR, they use the exactly the same rods.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-02-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
Thanks for all the input. It appears to have the look of Titanium but it must be an alloy of some sort as it's weight is not super heavy but not feather weight either like some titanium products. I shot the photos to Ferrari of Houston and they also suggested that it was possibly a 355 rod. I figured the number on the side of the rod may be traceable, but I haven't gone that route yet. Its definitley a neat gift and I appreciate all the input. The idea was to mount it on wood with an engraving stating the type of car it came out of. I'll run with the 355 story for now if someone asks. Either or, its definitely unique and I am glad I was bestowed with the rod. Definitely a talking piece!

Life is short. Enjoy It!

-2005 F430 F1 Gearbox
post #8 of 8 Old 11-22-2010, 02:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by erricosd View Post
I received a connecting rod to an old Ferrari engine as a gift recently. Attached are photos. The story is it was used as a paper weight for the last 15 years or so by the person that gave it to me. He received it from a mechanic at a high end Ferrari repair shop or so the story goes. That is all I know about it. Initially I was going to post this under "General Discussion" but opted for the "Tech Talk" forum instead. From end-to-end it measures right at 7.5". The number etched into is is "28184." I thought it would be neat to try to figure out what type of engine and/or car this came out of. Any help will be very appreciated!
hrmm.. if i had to make just one guess.. then i am guessing it would have to be a 355.. i hope you can post more updates or information on this. it just got me curious. lol.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode