Acceptance of classic cars in the future? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Acceptance of classic cars in the future?

I was wondering about your thoughts regarding the future acceptance of classic/vintage cars in light of:

a) Ever increasing polution regulations
b) The broad based offer and marketing activities of electric cars and
c) The influence of the availability of fuel (as maybe all gaz stations will be adapted to electrical fill up stations) ?
d) What could be a possible price/value influence ?
e) Should classic cars still be bought ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Don't see any impact here in the states. None of the things you mention should severely impact classic cars. Hell, people still buy stanley steamers and look at the price of steam!

seriously though, i can't see us being off oil for at least 50 years if ever. either way, there will still be 10's of millions of gas burning cars out there to fill up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I honestly don't see any of the above having much of an impact in the next 5-10 years. Buy and enjoy.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
If I only could enjoy five more years of my classics as are, I would still be a happy man. However, historical cars are so few viewed in the totality of road transport that it would be extremely 4n4l retentive for any politician, green or red, to even waste time on it.

Worst case scenario; convert your classics to ethanol combusters, secretely distill for your own needs and voila: You can drive your eco-classics, being your normal cool self, calmly minding your own business and even have a few more ponies under the upper lip.

Capo

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I would also add that classic cars could actually go up in value as traditional gas fueled cars become less common. It will make the classics that more classic and some entrepreneur is sure to keep a few gas stations around to make a killing.

The biggest fear I'd have is government banning fossil fuels, which I don't think would happen for 200+ years until we have an economy that works 100% without them.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I think I will long be planted in the ground before any ban on fossil fuels takes place.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I think I will long be planted in the ground before any ban on fossil fuels takes place.
Don't forget what I do for a living! I'll be out there poking holes in the ground for as long as there is a demand for holes in the ground. The more scarce oil gets the harder we are going to look for it. I'm set.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #8 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Don't forget what I do for a living! I'll be out there poking holes in the ground for as long as there is a demand for holes in the ground. The more scarce oil gets the harder we are going to look for it. I'm set.
Go Pete go!!

And my business will make sure your main- and auxiliary engines are perfectly tuned for rapid sailing between the drillsites. Count on it!!

Capo

Salve,
Capo

post #9 of 13 Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks guys for those many interesting comments.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-27-2010, 02:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I think that the lawmakers in the West should go and visit Africa, India or China. How long before they have infrastructure to get rid of petroleum vehicles? Not in 100 years! Where I work people live in huts without electricity or running water. No hospitals, no tarred roads, no sewage etc. Their living conditions are worse than in Europe 2,000 years ago. Seriously.

The West is living in such a bubble! Why are we fooling ourselves with strong environmental regulations in 10% of the countries whilst we have an exploding 4 billion strong population running around on cheap Chinese copies of a Yamaha motorbike from 1965. And trucks that are 50 years old.

Sigh.

But anyway - I think because of this it will be very hard to outlaw old cars, because cars will be needed in most of the world. Just next door in Eastern Europe, who are likely to join the EU if they haven't already, the infrastructure is almost as bad as Africa. If you go to the countryside in Bulgaria, you're back in 1910. Donkey carts, people plowing the land by oxen. Somehow I don't think those people are very worried if their town is not getting a plug-in point for electric cars....

So for the foreseeable future, I think classic cars are OK.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #11 of 13 Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you for the comment Onno.

I always thought that looking at economic developments and politics from having long term third world experience/perspective as you do, tends to balance many views to normal and away from our foolish "want to be right..no matter what the cost" philosophies.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Thank you for the comment Onno.

I always thought that looking at economic developments and politics from having long term third world experience/perspective as you do, tends to balance many views to normal and away from our foolish "want to be right..no matter what the cost" philosophies.
+1
Onno, great description capturing the global perspective.

Salve,
Capo

Last edited by il Capolino; 10-27-2010 at 05:55 AM.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Why did I just get a visual of an old beat up Ferrari up on blocks in a barn with a leather belt connecting the rear wheel to a jack shaft driving a stone mill?

Pete...didn't you have a design for that at R.A.P.E.?

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode